Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

Without a doubt the correct call was made. I for one was extremely disappointed but after seeing videos of the start and how people were literally blown off their bikes, you can't blame the organisers for doing what they did. Had they gone ahead with the race and people had damaged bikes and hospital bills because of it, I'm sure they would have moaned just as much as the bulk of the moaners and groaners are doing in this forum. See you all at the 2018 CTCT!

My contention is that the start chute is in the wrong place. The organisers know this as 2009 experienced the same problems.

And with the wind being a known factor from forecasts they were so arrogant they did NOTHING to eliminate this risk.

So I can and will blame the organisers for not making changes that would have made the start safer.  The only change we've seen at the start in a number of years is a new checking in system. Nothing that adds to safety.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To Davis Bellairs and team....

Well done , I take my hat off to you

That was a hard decision, but the right one...

Thanks

Made easier by the refusal to move the start to a safe area out of a known wind tunnel where the design of the Civic Centre creates a vortex and amplifies the effect of the wind.

I honestly don't think it was a hard decision at all. Once they worked out there would be no cost to them it was very easy.

I think the problem here lies with society. People do not take responsibility for their own actions and tend to blame (sue) others. The decision of CTCT was to cover themselves because people nowadays cannot think for themselves and live with the consequences.

Why not move the start closer towards the stadium, then we could start on the highway and miss the wind tunnel by the Civic Centre completely?  Worst case, they move the finish slightly back and have a neutral coast back to the stadium?

See the current start on Hertzog Boulevard... if we started slightly further back and joined onto the highway sooner...

post-10691-0-34631800-1489383434_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of bashing of the organizers, use of words like "arrogant" and general whingeing of a galactic proportion.  This from some local rocket scientists who obviously know where and how to start the biggest cycle event in the world.

To these people I say:  PLEASE exercise your free market right to not enter this race.  If the event and its organizers are so hell-bent on wrecking YOUR special day, then please PUNISH them by withholding your magic entry price, which I am sure will make them change everything to comply with your demands.

To the other entrants who graciously accepted that a perfect storm of really cr@ppy circumstances ended the race, and chose to be adult about it - big up guys.  And then those selfless cyclists who kicked in to help distribute food and drinks to fire victims - NICE ONE.  You help sway the tide to show cyclists CAN be decent and caring people, not these self-entitled crybaby spoilt brats that tend to dominate social media when they are so inconvenienced by gale force winds, wild fires and dangerous protests.

Some perspective please, people

There should have been more options for the day not just the one they executed with the last option being the 47km M3 loop. I wonder if the organisers ever intended to have the race ???? They had foreknowledge of the issues but no real action plans.

There should have been more options for the day not just the one they executed with the last option being the 47km M3 loop. I wonder if the organisers ever intended to have the race ???? They had foreknowledge of the issues but no real action plans.

Absolutely! I am sure this was going through their heads the whole time! After 40 years of putting this race on they must be sick of it, and I am sure that any little excuse would have sufficed to cancel the event.  Maybe something for Carte Blanche, I am sure

Post of the day (and that is quite an achievement). The logic is unmatchable...

Why not move the start closer towards the stadium, then we could start on the highway and miss the wind tunnel by the Civic Centre completely?  Worst case, they move the finish slightly back and have a neutral coast back to the stadium?

See the current start on Hertzog Boulevard... if we started slightly further back and joined onto the highway sooner...

Too much traffic problems will be caused if you cut-off traffic flow through Buitengracht.

There is a lot of bashing of the organizers, use of words like "arrogant" and general whingeing of a galactic proportion.  This from some local rocket scientists who obviously know where and how to start the biggest cycle event in the world.

To these people I say:  PLEASE exercise your free market right to not enter this race.  If the event and its organizers are so hell-bent on wrecking YOUR special day, then please PUNISH them by withholding your magic entry price, which I am sure will make them change everything to comply with your demands.

To the other entrants who graciously accepted that a perfect storm of really cr@ppy circumstances ended the race, and chose to be adult about it - big up guys.  And then those selfless cyclists who kicked in to help distribute food and drinks to fire victims - NICE ONE.  You help sway the tide to show cyclists CAN be decent and caring people, not these self-entitled crybaby spoilt brats that tend to dominate social media when they are so inconvenienced by gale force winds, wild fires and dangerous protests.

Some perspective please, people

The arrogance of the organisers is not taking into account forecasts of strong winds while keeping the start in a place known to accentuate the effect of strong wind.  And then using those very same known problems as a valid excuse to cancel an event with 35,000 participants.

I'm glad you find this pisspoor attitude to known problems acceptable. I don't.

Agree Dale. Safety considerations and financial considerations should never compete.

Organisers cannot be held hostage by finances not to make a safety call.

I have no problem forfeiting my entry fees today

If you have ever attended a PPA AGM you will know they have quite a lot of dough in the bank. So I see no reason why they can't carry entries over to next year. 

What special medal? The mythical medal for those who did both the 55mtb race and the road race...

Has anyone ever actually seen one of these? Like seen it?

I am missing the 2016 one, they said they will resend it.

post-38519-0-60881900-1489385984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rouxenator

I think the hub is the perfect place for cyclists to be very concerned about the cancellation today.

I'm racing almost every one of the 52 weekends we have in a year, and trust me, money is or can't be a moaning point. I loose more money from not being able to attend an event from illness than a cancellation caused by force majore... more so some of my stage events run in excess of R8k just for entry fees, before flights accommodation and other logistical considerations. I've had to bail on one or two of those too, I don't complain, you learn to cope as an occupational hazard.

The real reason worth being worried though, and worth a debate, is that there is a pattern emerging around events being effected by protest action which threatens our common interest / Passion for cycling.

Yes so it makes 100% sense for the CTCT to blame the weather and not give the protesters even a mention.

If you even just give a small mention that the protests could have been the reason you giving the protesters exactly what they where trying to archive and goodbye all future events.

they must have saved a packet on the coke and water that they did not distribute to those needy fire victims . i say use that money wisely and have better security on the route next year and better contingency plans to avoid the same fiasco next year 35 000 bottles of coke and 35 000 bottles of water do the sum of what was distributed and what was not . least they can do that wont cost a cent more is to give all 2017 entrants a automatic entry to 2018 ride .

Sure you can pay the extra money for applications for contingency road closures, more signage a week before that the M3 inbound lane may be closed, find another start point, reroute everyone after all the planning has been done and plans approved.

I don't think you have any idea of what it takes to pull off an event involving city officials, Emergency services and traffic control. There are laws and by-laws governing massive public participation events like this. Besides the fact that the wind decided that it would prove the meteorologists wrong on the day and put on a show of near gale.

But nothing will change the minds of those who feel aggrieved by the cancellation right. The organisers suck at making this race happen thats why it is the first one ever that has been canceled, because they have no clue. The other 39 were all flukes.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk