Gravel Bikes - Should we stop and tell the industry now?

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the point you're trying to get across?

Ah didn't realise this was a tongue in cheek swipe by niner at full sus gravel bikes - thought it was supossed to be a legit offering.

Ah didn't realise this was a tongue in cheek swipe by niner at full sus gravel bikes - thought it was supossed to be a legit offering.

I think of it as a question to the market: "Is this what you're asking for? Really, well ok here it is LOL..!?

I can't see why they would offer a drop bar MTB XC bike which ultimately a full sus gravel bike is.

This industry is its own worst enemy. Johnny T rode a drop bar MTB 25years ago so the idea is not new.

I can't see the point of gravel bikes when an MTB hardtail will accept a very broad range of tyres, is comfortable, stable, load bearing and can be built nearly as light as a road bike!

It just seems to fulfill a requirement for a bunch of okes who want to be different without actually being different. Gravel bikes are really just retro road bikes from the early post WWII era.

That Airstreem Gravel is a really nice idea though because I'd love a road bike that can handle range of tyres and can be raced as well as ridden along lose surfaces simply because Cape Towns road are so k*k the comfort of the bigger tyres is really appealing

The use of gravel bikes have been on the rise. They are cool and quite fun depending on just how bad the terrain is. 

But though extended use riders have realised that a rigid (essentially) road / cx bike with adjusted geo is just not comfortable on some terrain and over longer rides. Hence the sudden increase of suspension forks being developed for them with some manufacturers even trying full suspension bikes.

Really now? Isn't it time to pause and admit that what they are trying to do is invent a bicycle that is not quite like a gravel bike in that it is comfortable to ride over rough terrain at speed and in great comfort and that such a bike has actually been around for a while in the form of a MTB!?

Next dev on a gravel bike will be a flat bar with some bar ends... Then even wider tyres. 

go ride one.

it will change your mind.

extremely versatile bike.

and most our our trails are so smooth that suspension is really not needed

I think of it as a question to the market: "Is this what you're asking for? Really, well ok here it is LOL..!?

I can't see why they would offer a drop bar MTB XC bike which ultimately a full sus gravel bike is.

This industry is its own worst enemy. Johnny T rode a drop bar MTB 25years ago so the idea is not new.

I can't see the point of gravel bikes when an MTB hardtail will accept a very broad range of tyres, is comfortable, stable, load bearing and can be built nearly as light as a road bike!

It just seems to fulfill a requirement for a bunch of okes who want to be different without actually being different. Gravel bikes are really just retro road bikes from the early post WWII era.

That Airstreem Gravel is a really nice idea though because I'd love a road bike that can handle range of tyres and can be raced as well as ridden along lose surfaces simply because Cape Towns road are so k*k the comfort of the bigger tyres is really appealing

I agree it's not the revolutuonary new idea the industry makes it out to be - but you are simplifying the category quite a bit. The bikes cetrainly have their place and purpose and fill a gap in the market that is quite clearly there.

Fatbikes were a fad - sales figures showed us that, gravel is not - it's growing steadily and looks to keep doing that. Like all things, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I heard the same enthusiasm around fatbikes....

Except that, as a new bike, they actually make sense. 

For what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new "road" bike to replace my Alpina, I'd actually get a graveller. Far more versatile than an out and out roadie. Great for long days in the saddle, can get onto gravelly roads and just punch away the miles, and not worry about road surfaces. Superior wet grip, better geo (more relaxed) and overall a stronger build, in my opinion. 

Sure and I allude to that versatility in the last paragraph of the above post. But even in your case it's still a road bike that can go country side. It's not a mtb which is what many seem to be buying a GG for.

It's still a niche bike with limited appeal.

Those chasing sub 3 CTCT will get a proper road bike.

Those chasing xco XCM stage racing will get a mtb

Some will have both

Those fortunate enough to have n+1 will add a GG alongside the fatbike gathering dust in the garage

And then there's You :)

I mean come on....

An Alpina!!!

I did not read the whole thread so if this was talked about my apologies. I did “around the pot” gravel friendly mtb race over the weekend and rode most of the way with two gravel bikes that was in our group. I rode on a 29er with a rigid fork. Before hand everone told me how far the gravel bikes will drop me on this race. Well I found the contrary to be true. My 29er with rigid fork and 2,3” Tyres was in my opinion superior to the gravel bike. I saw those guys struggle on downhills and sandy or stoney patches. And the last 10 km’ers o my word! So after obsessing about getting a GG before the race, I am totally over it now

Except that, as a new bike, they actually make sense.

For what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new "road" bike to replace my Alpina, I'd actually get a graveller. Far more versatile than an out and out roadie. Great for long days in the saddle, can get onto gravelly roads and just punch away the miles, and not worry about road surfaces. Superior wet grip, better geo (more relaxed) and overall a stronger build, in my opinion.

Same reasons I would buy a GG. I don't have a road bike at the moment, but am keen to get one - but I have no aspirations of a sub 3 Argus and want something that is strong, 1x, disc brakes, wide tyres (40c ish) and can take some abuse and the occassional sidewalk drop off and gravel road.

My mtb with Minnion DHFs on is not exactly suited to road riding, and my hardtail is just too sluggish - it works, but I do have the ocassional craving to ride over rooi els, or to Franschoek at good speed.... enter GG.

For me it will be steel or alu, no carbon. Got my eyes on the new Farr full build kit or the Momsen GP500 being released next month. Either way, it'll be a while.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Sure and I allude to that versatility in the last paragraph of the above post. But even in your case it's still a road bike that can go country side. It's not a mtb which is what many seem to be buying a GG for.

It's still a niche bike with limited appeal.

Those chasing sub 3 CTCT will get a proper road bike.

Those chasing xco XCM stage racing will get a mtb

Some will have both

Those fortunate enough to have n+1 will add a GG alongside the fatbike gathering dust in the garage

And then there's You :)

I mean come on....

An Alpina!!!

Ha! Yeah, an Alpina. Which I'm riding tomorrow on another LSD peninsula ride. 

Still has downtube shifters, but it's EIGHT speed. Yes, EIGHT.

:w00t:

Anyway. I'd get one to complement this bad boy. Cos, as much as I want to say it's perfect for EVERYTHING, doing the CT greenbelts on it is kinda... overkill. 

p5pb15707462.jpg

Edited by Cptmayhem

Sold my road bike a while back. Skittish on all but perfect tarmac. Got a cotic escapade with tubeless 40c tyres. Love it. Commute 20km everyday. No punctures. Hop side walks when I need to. Ride through parks. No suspension getting unnecessary cycling. Just chain and cable wear. Even hook the kids trailer to the back for some gravel road naptime exploring.

Here's the thing though...... This category of bike has existed for decades known as cyclo cross bikes.

Creaking door slowly opens as geometrofiles enter the room

Exactly why I think it's not a fad - just slightly adapted for the purpose. Besides for the geo difference the biggest thing for me is tyre clearance is much better. CX bikes were never designed to take wide tyres because of UCI rules...

Here's the thing though...... This category of bike has existed for decades known as cyclo cross bikes.

Creaking door slowly opens as geometrofiles enter the room

only if :

1.your definition of a CYCLOCROSS bike is just a ROAD BIKE with Cantilever Brakes and ability to run 23 to 28C tyres

2.you live in Europe 

#gravelisnotcyclocross

#dontcallitacyclocrossbike

#mygravelbikeisnotacyclocrossbike

#cyclocrossisforEUROS