The expat cyclist

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kameeldoring wood - mostly.

Weber gas - sometimes.

Big Green Egg charcoal - on my wishlist.

Where do you ger kameeldoring?

Cooked up a rump steak for the wife, sprog and myself tonight. On gas, mine rare, rest med/rare. All those juices that collect on resting get chucked on mine. It was delicious. I could have lit a fire, but for one steak it's too much hassle. The secret is the resting, in the AGA bottom shelf, which maxes at 75deg, for 5-10 min.

Thanks GoG

Between the wife and myself we decided on the layout. Used a bricklayer for the building of it. The granite slabs I got from business friend at a good price. Did the lights and floor myself. The wife and her daughter did the cladding. So a real team effort

Its beautiful Look695, you can be really proud. 

Where do you ger kameeldoring?

https://namibianhardwood.co.za/

I normally buy about 1 ton (55 X 18kg bags) once a year. Roughly R60 per bag. Gets delivered to my house and gets stacked for me.  

I know supply is environmentally controversial, because of ecological impacts at source.

Although my supplier (who is a permit holder) assures me they only collect lose wood, and don't harvest from growing or dead trees. I'll conveniently believe him. 

And then of course the carbon footprint of trucking it all the way down to the Cape from Namibia. Not to mention the fact that I burn almost a ton of wood per year!!

NOU gaan ons braai!!

https://namibianhardwood.co.za/

I normally buy about 1 ton (55 X 18kg bags) once a year. Roughly R60 per bag. Gets delivered to my house and gets stacked for me.

I know supply is environmentally controversial, because of ecological impacts at source.

Although my supplier (who is a permit holder) assures me they only collect lose wood, and don't harvest from growing or dead trees. I'll conveniently believe him.

And then of course the carbon footprint of trucking it all the way down to the Cape from Namibia. Not to mention the fact that I burn almost a ton of wood per year!!

NOU gaan ons braai!!

Don't stress about that too much, Carte Blanche did an expose and they proved that our kameeldoring braai wood is NOT tested on animals and was free range and we can use it guilt free.

The steak you braai probably had a bigger environmental impact than the few pieces of wood you braaied it on. So if somebody gives you lip at a braai about it, tell them that, send them inside and only dish them salad....

Had some folk come by the next day to collect their leftovers, didn't invite them again. Wasn't just the fetching but the comments! " sure we had more than this......" really !

That is incredibly poor manners. You should have sprayed them with the hose and told them to **** off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you don't know how to handle your Weber, don't shoot the Weber down.

I have had built-in braais, half-drums, fancy bought braais, self-built, braais, old style skottel-skaar braai, you name it. Nothing beats my Weber...

Bought my Weber 15 years ago, haven't used anything else since...

I braai at least twice a week, on the Weber. In addition, I might do roast, or other food, as well over weekends, in the Weber.

I remember I paid R 1 500 for it in 2002. Have replaced the fins once, and repaired the handle myself. For what I got out of it, nearly as big a bargain as my SS.

Weber has its advantages.

But if I make a fire it's in a built-in braai (a la jet master) only, with the only exception when I go camping. It's 2017, there's no need to stink like smoke just to cook some meat.

When I grow up, I'm upgrading my gas braai to on of these Weber summit grills.

http://bbqtver.ru/spree/products/294/original/e-670_3.jpg?1407767149

Weber has its advantages.

But if I make a fire it's in a built-in braai (a la jet master) only, with the only exception when I go camping. It's 2017, there's no need to stink like smoke just to cook some meat.

When I grow up, I'm upgrading my gas braai to on of these Weber summit grills.

http://bbqtver.ru/spree/products/294/original/e-670_3.jpg?1407767149

That braai has more knobs on it than the BikeHub!