[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Trying to help a friend out with an entry. Do you perhaps know whether there are still any of these entries available? On the CTCT website it only shows that International entries are still open.

Edit: I also tried the Racetec website. Not able to enter there either.

My one son has decided he do not want to ride. So I might be able to help you.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I cant make this race and have entered. If anyone interested you welcome to take over mine..... Whatever the process, if you looking mine up for grabs. 

I've decided to reduce my own (Capie) water footprint to zero for the Argus weekend. This is what I will do: Ride it just like normal. Use water sparingly just like I usually do. THEN, the weekend after, I go away and ride Eroica SA in Montagu......and use their water, equalling out to ZERO for myself! Save the Capes water by riding my bike! Win-win if you ask me!

I've decided to reduce my own (Capie) water footprint to zero for the Argus weekend. This is what I will do: Ride it just like normal. Use water sparingly just like I usually do. THEN, the weekend after, I go away and ride Eroica SA in Montagu......and use their water, equalling out to ZERO for myself! Save the Capes water by riding my bike! Win-win if you ask me!

or just drink wine

Maybe I am just stupid but this is all marketing BS to me.

Sure the EVENT will (maybe) have a zero foot print.

But what about the thousands of tourist visiting the city? Showers, drinking water etc etc.

Zero footprint my ass.

There will be more water consumed.

Why risk it?

What would Bear Grylls do ? [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really looking forward to my first 'Argus'. Just want to know re accommodation - can one accept that the main hotels will allow bikes in the room or should I rather call and check before booking?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Really looking forward to my first 'Argus'. Just want to know re accommodation - can one accept that the main hotels will allow bikes in the room or should I rather call and check before booking?

Also looking forward to my first full Argus, hope we don't get screwed over again like my previous 2 attempts.

As for the rest of the thread I see nothing much has changed, the squabbling has only changed hands from political protest to political water shortages...... [emoji185]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I think you can pretty much accept that any hotel in Cape Town would allow you to take your bike to your room, especially on that weekend. Bikes rule the city on Argus weekend. If they don't want to allow you they would have an empty hotel on that weekend. 

Also looking forward to my first full Argus, hope we don't get screwed over again like my previous 2 attempts.

As for the rest of the thread I see nothing much has changed, the squabbling has only changed hands from political protest to political water shortages...... [emoji185]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

The organisers must be happy that they have an easy escape route by using the water crisis as an excuse this year!

The organisers must be happy that they have an easy escape route by using the water crisis as an excuse this year!

Hard to use something as an excuse if you unequivocally deny that it will be a problem and even going so far as to say you will donate less to charity due to the added expense of having a zero footprint. Doubt they looking for an easy escape route either. . . .

Short story...check when you book

Friendly suggestion, look at the communications from the organisers or even just read this thread then you might not feel compelled to make dumb comments like this.

Anyway, not addressing a problem that has been public knowledge for years will not be an easy excuse even if that was their intention.

Maybe I am just stupid but this is all marketing BS to me.

Sure the EVENT will (maybe) have a zero foot print.

But what about the thousands of tourist visiting the city?  Showers, drinking water etc etc.

Zero footprint my ass.

There will be more water consumed. 

Why risk it?

Tourism is a massive source of Cape Town's income. If we don't attract tourists, we'll be without a provincial government, never mind a drought. My clients operate in the luxury hotel industry. The luxury hotel industry alone (excluding B&B's, guest houses, four stars etc) in CT is worth hundreds of millions. Yes, most of it goes abroad, but without tourism we wouldn't attract foreign investment in that sector at all. Very few locals can stay in a hotel room that is 20-30k per night. Trust me, that is the median price this time of year. The VVIPs that stay in a luxury hotel spend around R5 mil over a two week period at the hotel as they bring over their entire families. The low-level staff only receive minimum wage, but tourist season is the only time they have work. And the amount of people that apply for these entry level jobs is astounding. 

I see that they have started removing the concrete stretch of road at the end of sea point, wonder if it will all be done by the time Argus comes around? 

There are also now road works in Lakeside. 

Also road works from Ocean view to Noordehoek, but that road cannot possible get worse.

I see that they have started removing the concrete stretch of road at the end of sea point, wonder if it will all be done by the time Argus comes around? 

Also road works from Ocean view to Noordehoek, but that road cannot possible get worse.

maybe the Ocean View to Noordhoek wont happen. Protester might just be there again. 

It's called 'Proper Planning'. It's in the dictionary under '@rseholery'