[Event] The Munga MTB 2017

Slowbee

I think Alex riding meant Erik was busy with all the logistics. So he wasn't with his camera.

Well that was the difference I saw

Yip, that's pretty much spot on...

Media coverage is everything if you want to grow an event - no matter how good something is, if you don't create the necessary interest through visuals and other means, the growth will remain slow. Like I said somewhere earlier in the thread, this event, and these guys deserve better. The Cape Epic from the start was a master of getting their event out there... 4/5 photographers full time for the 8 days. High quality images available to all the media daily. Now days we have live visuals from on the route.

They are different animals for sure (Epic & Munga) but if you want to ever get that million dollar carrot on the finish line, people need to be asking you at braais if you've ever done the Munga.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, that's pretty much spot on...

Media coverage is everything if you want to grow an event - no matter how good something is, if you don't create the necessary interest through visuals and other means, the growth will remain slow. Like I said somewhere earlier in the thread, this event, and these guys deserve better. The Cape Epic from the start was a master of getting their event out there... 4/5 photographers full time for the 8 days. High quality images available to all the media daily. Now days we have live visuals from on the route.

They are different animals for sure (Epic & Munga) but if you want to ever get that million dollar carrot on the finish line, people need to be asking you at braais if you've ever done the Munga.

yes, you do need this, but it's also part of getting in the whole sponsor network. It's all inter related.

eg. this is a daily Vid from EA this year,

5mins of on the course coverage all edited in. it tells quite a bit of the story, but it still only gets 2000 views. Whereas a kardashian will get 1million views for brushing her teeth. 

they also had pro photogs uploading epic shots each day too.

yes, you do need this, but it's also part of getting in the whole sponsor network. It's all inter related.

eg. this is a daily Vid from EA this year,

5mins of on the course coverage all edited in. it tells quite a bit of the story, but it still only gets 2000 views. Whereas a kardashian will get 1million views for brushing her teeth. 

they also had pro photogs uploading epic shots each day too.

There are lots of stupid people in the world.

• 2 months later...

Jip . Rode Saturday and Sunday. And back in the gym this evening.

I really dont want to throw it all away over the festive season.

Read your article on the munga ride in Ride yesterday, well done, very interesting write up, contains a lot of very wise advice for anyone wanting to take on a ride like this for the first time.

And well done on the ride too, lots of self discipline seems to be in your nature!

for me ,getting the crowds out to the Munga is not what that events about.It is about me,myself and I saying,,,can I finish this monster.

The thrill of spending many nights alone in the middle of nowhere with the Milky Way above and challenging myself to the limit,,that is the Munga .

This event is not impossible to finish you do not have to be some superman ,what you need is discipline ,some training and vasbyt.

I will never forget that feeling of rolling over the line,that moment in time what I will take to my grave.

Get busy living guys ,time is short.

• 1 month later...

Read Vettes' race report, inspirational. 

Would love for him to share his training program with us.  How far do you have to go to make this a reality. 

You press the Enter button ... ;)

• 6 months later...

After reading through all 100 pages of the 2017 Munga and with only a month to go to the start of the 2018 edition all I can say is......fricken machines!  WOW!.......seriously inspiring - and to all of you who are getting those last preparations done before the end of November - good luck and God bless!

Dot watchers....on your marks, get-set,.........