Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

What I have noticed though is when selling something if its not a buy of the year people in general is not interested. 

Eg. I have a PRC Carbon seat post 27.2 that's new almost 3k. Even at 1.5k negotiable no one is interested in it. I see quite a lot of carbon seat posts even at R750 just sitting around not being bought and these are quite expensive items new.

I think budget related people will buy only when it reaches that once in a lifetime deal price point hence the i will pay 10% of new price offers.

I find myself recently asking "Value vs Offering" questions a lot. R18 for a pack of Simba chips is just crazy considering R15 for Flannigans currently was quite expensive less than 3 months ago as an example.

I don't think the bike parts we are paying new is worth the value. R2200 for a 11 speed cassette for instance. New prices of items are over inflated by quite a large margin and its just pulling the 2nd hand market with it and people cant afford it

Why buy a 2nd hand cassette for R1500 in like new condition when less than 8 months ago you bought a new one for R800... the dynamics just doesn't make sense

I would never buy a second hand cassette, no matter how slightly used it may be. Same with chains, brake pads, tyres, any wear bits. 

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not purchase much on the hub.

Although I know that things typically sell for 2/3 or even 1/2 of what they are advertised for, I do not like negotiating. Advertise the product for what you really think it will sel, state that it is non negotiable  and it will be gone in no time.

like that slightly used casette with just a little chain suck :blush:

But that is just me.

Guest @BAZA

That’s what my wife says when she loses an argument too ;)

Maybe you are my wife, Finkle is Einhorn? ????

:devil:

I would never buy a second hand cassette, no matter how slightly used it may be. Same with chains, brake pads, tyres, any wear bits. 

Learnt that lesson with about my first purchase ever on the Hub.

This been happening for a while, his not the only Hubber there's quiet a few of them

Bike Market some times buy bikes that were advertised on here but I believe it's more a case of not being able to sell quick enough then flogging it to Bike Market who probably do add some value with a service etc

I do also think people have started to completely over value their 2nd hand products.

I get that it's now more difficult to subsidise a new build with the price hikes, but 2nd hand from 2013 is still 2nd hand from 2013.

A lot has evolved really quickly between 2015 and now and things are not just used but also outdated and 'old tech'.

I'm not saying this is the case on ALL sales, just something I have noticed.

I do think most guys and gals in SA are feeling the pinch. It gets more and more expensive to live here and we get less and less from our government. 

Interesting thread. Funnily enough I usually sell things really quickly but have had a very niche frame for sale for ages which I can't move.

I do agree though that a tendency to low ball has crept in. Every time I open an add I get a flood of messages at ridiculous times, not one of them saying 'hi it's Mark/John/Peter here..' just saying 'I will give you 800 bucks'... Well no 

Agree with the bold here....recently shopped around for a 2nd hand laptop, some idiots were asking more than I could find a NEW one online for! Pawn shops as well, crazy prices for second hand pieces of crap!

Agree with the bold here....recently shopped around for a 2nd hand laptop, some idiots were asking more than I could find a NEW one online for! Pawn shops as well, crazy prices for second hand pieces of crap!

That's one thing I learnt

Don't buy 2nd hand compers

Done it once and never again

Frankly speaking new bikes and components are absurdly priced.

When bikers want to upgrade they want to recover some of their costs and it just does not work that way.

What goads me is this - guy absolutely trashes say elixer brakes they are just junk and of course upgrades to shimano and places the "junk" for sale but at a price almost the same as what he paid for the shimano's. Nooo.

I've been happy with my dealings on bikehub.

Been looking for a 26mtb for a while at a FAIR price but not readily available anymore or they are sold by the time I get to the laptop.

Edited by porqui

That's one thing I learnt

Don't buy 2nd hand compers

Done it once and never again

Never really had major problems with second hand stuff, cars, computers, tools etc...my issues always to seem to come when I buy something new, probably an expectation thing...of expecting the new thing to work properly first time round!!

Frankly speaking new bikes and components are absurdly priced.

When bikers want to upgrade they want to recover some of their costs and it just does not work that way.

What goads me is this - guy absolutely trashes say elixer brakes they are just junk and of course upgrades to shimano and places the "junk" for sale but at a price almost the same as what he paid for the shimano's. Nooo.

I've been happy with my dealings on bikehub.

Been looking for a 26mtb for a while at a FAIR price but not readily available anymore or they are sold by the time I get to the laptop.

You should have paid attention when I sold my SC

Something I've found over the years here is that timing is everything... You can readvertise something at a really good price for months on end, with no luck until you give up. Then 6 months later you advertise the same item and it's gone in a day with 3 others begging for it. I've learnt it's just the nature of the place, and if you want something to move quickly, advertise at a price that will make that happen, else be prepared to be patient if your price is fair.

In defence of @BAZA, once you have sold something and the item is exchanged for cash it is no longer yours. The new owner is able to do what he or she likes, including selling the item for a profit.

I have sold 2 bikes this year and it went fairly quickly and easily. People just want higher prices because everything has become more expensive so they need more money for their next purchase whatever it may be.

Heck I got myself a Pyga the other day, like earlier this month and the guy came down with his price by 10k.

I also think people are adding more "padding" to the price, so you think they are coming down but actually you are giving them more or less what they wanted.