Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Let me add to your sample data:

The sport has gone through it's steep upwards growth curve, many consumers have realised their own potential as MTB/Road cyclers and many have been brought down with a bang. In my view and through discussions with mates in the community of cycling in and around my town, it seems the case.

On a personal note, I have the following buying criteria in the classifieds;

1. I need a helmet priced at between R500-1000

2. I search for weeks till I hit the sweet spot

3. My sweet spot last year got me a Spez MTB helmet for R600 in near new condition from a person described above.

What I noticed during my search was as was mentioned above:

- Second hand product and new at above new prices with 100's of views and no comments or questions

As a seller I sold on the "what will you pay for a good second hand one" principle. I've not sell much but have sold what I placed on the few occasions in good time.

I'm sure the general public is more careful with their money and also their transactions on here but that goes for most places of trade on the web.

Edited by Ed-Zulu

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use formula  of 50% of new price and R1k/year deduction .

One of my adds, enve 2018 handlebar and stem R4000. New price 10 - 11K so I would say it's well priced. Just have to wait for someone who requires it. And then, I was offered R1500, only to find that the same person offered Ti guy R1500 for his bars as well. 

I have sold a few items on the hub, but I have a few items that is not selling. Personally I don't think it's overpriced, but then again, is there a formula/ manner to calculate a fair price? I feel that in everyone's best interest, if you know the item and you feel the price is too high, put it in the comment block and make other aware. I was in the market for a MTB and shortly realised that I have lots of homework to do before investing in 1 as I don't know what I need, XC, trail, size etc.. Gave up on that for now. 

Now comes the low balling, happens all the time. I just choose to ignore, saved me from actually breaking up my roadie. 

My recent (first) experience of selling on the classifieds was great!

But I think that comes down to fair pricing (be reasonable, it's used) in comparison to buying new. As well as taking loads of photos (close-up, different angles, etc.) and adding as much detail to the description as possible.

Including a reason for selling also adds authenticity imho.

The only thing I didn't dig, was I enabled the option to share my details if people responded to the ad (I think there was a setting like that) and then ended up with a bunch of SMS, WhatsApp messages and PMs so it was difficult to figure out if they were all unique or if some people replied via multiple sources.

people can really ask what they want, even if the price is really silly and unrealistic .... but if you are posting an add like this .... or some of those really expensive items, please please please make an effort with decent pics of the items and a proper description in the details section ... if a seller is going to be lazy in his/her advert they can not expect a quick sale in anyway.

I would be nervous to buy a used MTB, and I don't think I am alone.  The increase in popularity of the discipline I think may have contributed to the issue of stuff not selling on the Hub because there is a bigger proportion of MTB vs road bikes and paraphernalia.

I would be nervous to buy a used MTB, and I don't think I am alone. The increase in popularity of the discipline I think may have contributed to the issue of stuff not selling on the Hub because there is a bigger proportion of MTB vs road bikes and paraphernalia.

I have sold two mtb and bought two....one a Pyga :-) and had nothing but good experiences

Prices were market value for high quality second hand and all was good after some small haggling

The road stuff was the same

Maybe I am just lucky

A few more pearlers guaranteed to sell like hotcakes:

Shimano chain with unknown mileage, R200 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/294003-10-speed-shimano-chain/

20 year old Giant Makro spec MTB, R3500 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/294003-10-speed-shimano-chain/

The 2nd example has the same link...

As for the topic at hand, whats happenening in the 2nd hand cycling department appears to be mostly virtually identical to what happened to the 2nd hand motorvehicle market. New cars were too expensive, so more people sought 2nd hand cars. As the trades of 2nd hand cars increased, so did their price, until lately where a 2nd hand car is often advertised and solf between 50-80% of retail value.

Edited by Dirkitect

The 2nd example has the same link...

As for the topic at hand, whats happenening in the 2nd hand cycling department appears to be mostly virtually identical to what happened to the 2nd hand motorvehicle market. New cars were too expensive, so more people sought 2nd hand cars. As the trades of 2nd hand cars increased, so did their price, until lately where a 2nd hand car is often advertised and solf between 50-80% of retail value.

And I was thinking the whole time new bikes  / parts became so competitive in price (if you know where to shop ^_^ ) so people rather pay that small additional premium for new stuff.

Guess I was wrong then.

Interesting... or is it.

I have to agree with most of the comments above. I remember a time when the place to find a bargain was on this site. I've always enjoyed dealing with fellow rubbers because, generally, we are trustworthy people.

I have noticed a definite decrease in the number of bargains advertised here and don't spend nearly as much time on the site as I previously did. A major factor which crept in a few years ago was, for example people purchasing the bargain bike on the Monday and advertising it for 20% higher the next day. We then saw an influx of quasi "dealers" who wanted to use the forum to make money, which sadly, has detracted from the interest factor and viability.

Having said that I am selling items fairly easily and still purchase frequently from other hubbers..... I have dealt with most people participating in this thread. I ticked option 2 above.

Here are the realities/tips:

1) You need to be flexible as a seller - if your price is set in stone (regardless of your valuation) you will probably struggle to sell. The value of an item is (probably) only what someone is willing to pay;

2)  Dont bother selling items that are trashed;

3) Don't get upset if someone makes a low offer - say no and move on;

4) Remain friendly when communicating - leave the indignation for your boss;

5) If someone makes a negative comment on your ad don't freak out - they are probably trying to help.

I really enjoy the interaction I have with other traders on this site and don't want the result to determine the experience. If I have to give something away because it makes me feel good, I will.

Now please find my ads and make me good offers ;)

Edited by steveO:K

Lets say I had an item on for R1500, Ive had an idiot come and at the last minute say Ive got R1000 cash.

I told the bastard that the R1000 cash is fine and Im happy to accept the balance as EFT.

Didnt hear from him again.

The scum soon leave you alone

CASH?!

what else were you going to accept: instalment, IOU, my mother's recipe for Ratatouille?

One of my adds, enve 2018 handlebar and stem R4000. New price 10 - 11K so I would say it's well priced. Just have to wait for someone who requires it. And then, I was offered R1500, only to find that the same person offered Ti guy R1500 for his bars as well. 

I have sold a few items on the hub, but I have a few items that is not selling. Personally I don't think it's overpriced, but then again, is there a formula/ manner to calculate a fair price? I feel that in everyone's best interest, if you know the item and you feel the price is too high, put it in the comment block and make other aware. I was in the market for a MTB and shortly realised that I have lots of homework to do before investing in 1 as I don't know what I need, XC, trail, size etc.. Gave up on that for now. 

Now comes the low balling, happens all the time. I just choose to ignore, saved me from actually breaking up my roadie. 

Think you are fair in what you say, some products are really worth what you are advertising it for, it might just not be what anybody is willing to pay for it.

I advertised my Pyga on the Hub in January, and I believed the price was extremely fair at the time, particularly the quality of the components on the bike as well as the general condition. I had to stick to my guns. The eventual seller low balled me a couple of times over e-mail. Eventually he came to look at the bike, when he saw it he actually apologized and paid me my asking price with a massive smile on his face.

Different experience. I had a couple of brand new Renthal bars in the Classifieds; and the price was exactly what I paid for them as I brought them from the UK at R1.1k each. With not a single enquiry after 2 weeks, I pulled the advert and sold them out of hand - and got a slightly better price for each.

Snip....

A major factor which crept in a few years ago was, for example people purchasing the bargain bike on the Monday and advertising it for 20% higher the next day. We then saw an influx of quasi "dealers" who wanted to use the forum to make money, which sadly, has detracted from the interest factor and viability.

Sorry for posting here, will post in the correct thread in a moment...

One of these Quasis's is @BAZA. Yesterday a hubber advertised a pair of Oakleys for X Zars. Today, at a markup, is that very same pair(I did my research, this is a fact) is for sale again!

Link to the new AD: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/307409-oakley-jawbreakers/

Link to the Quasi: https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/88384-baza/

I suspect a lot of bargains have been shnaaid from genuine hubbers this way.

Things like this shouldn't be part of Bikehub. 

Sorry for posting here, will post in the correct thread in a moment...

One of these Quasis's is @BAZA. Yesterday a hubber advertised a pair of Oakleys for X Zars. Today, at a markup, is that very same pair(I did my research, this is a fact) is for sale again!

Link to the new AD: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/307409-oakley-jawbreakers/

Link to the Quasi: https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/88384-baza/

I suspect a lot of bargains have been shnaaid from genuine hubbers this way.

Things like this shouldn't be part of Bikehub. 

out of interest ... what was the selling price yesterday?

First, in line with most of the posts, South Africans just don't get "second-hand" pricing. In the UK, US and elsewhere. if something is used for a year or two, it would be 40% off or half price of retail. In SA, guys still want 80% of full retail price. You can just order a new from overseas for cheaper.

BUT, second, and the main reason I have stopped buying from the hub classifieds, is that people are selling trashed gear. I bought disk brakes that once you install, you figure out they don't work and then the seller doesn't want to know about it. Obviously he sold them because they are br oken.

Likewise, I have bought wheels and even a Giant Anthem, that looked fine, rode fine, but then problems quickly started. When I took them to the LBS, the mechanics told me "ja, that bike belonged to X, he trashed it on the Epic, told him the bearings etc were about to go, can't believe he tried to sell it at that price"

(and this is not from dudes on the flats, these purchases are from motherf..kers in Constantia).

But then why don't you use the rating system to give other users a heads up and hopefully improve the classifieds for all?

All my bikes and parts, baring one new road bike (insurance claim) have been purchased from The Hub! 

I was only stung once purchasing a bike I did not see before I bought...lesson learned. So I landed spending a bit more than originally planned.

If you prepared to spend the time and effort to learn how to build up a bike, the opportunities are there!