Shocking Checkers SA

stringbean

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that this is a very deliberate attempted copy of what has become a popular design.

BUT, let's be honest here R120 is a ripoff for a pair of socks.

If you're going to charge that, then there is so much margin for anyone else to come in on and undercut you.

I know people are going to say support local, but I'm all for free market where it makes sense. I guess that socks are just made by a machine these days, as there seem to be new entrants all the time with very complex designs. Whether the machine is making the socks in china and shipping it as a finished product, or the chinese made machine is in SA using chinese shipped yarns to SA it kind of becomes the same thing, just with different tariffs on it.

Jelly-Beans-Versus-Socks-8-12.png

How do you know versus hasn't license the design to checkers?

the assumption is that Versus would not be dumb enough to cannibalise their premium price product like that with a copycat, or that Checkers would pay the figure to make it worthwhile.

oh. it appears the original tweeter is the wife of Versus owner.

a)I think that means that she would have known about it being a deal

b)very tacky way to bring up the issue.

Co Owner/Founder of @versussockscyclist for Team Giant married to Niquita Uys

Edited by Bartali

Exactly. And lol at a 'design copyright' on a sock pattern  :w00t: What next, a copyright on black lycra cycling attire? 

you're assuming only one aspect under the term used which was "design copyright", which relates to both the materials and manufacturing quality also.

For example, Falke brings out a new sock design with "light", "green" and "breathable" and "moisture wicking" socks for runners, with a jelly bean design. They price this at R75 a pair retail and let us say R30 design, development and manufacturing. Cheapskate or copyright breachers see this new jelly bean design and decide to capitalise on the situation. They manufacture rubbish socks with the same concept at R3 each and retail for R10, then a local company buys them at R10 and resells for R40 for 2 pairs. Now Falke's design and sales would become undermined.

I don't know versussocks and also don't care to find out, but the concept still applies if they have any claims to copyright.

Hopefully after reading this you show some insight into why it is a problem.

Google chinese bepsi and mcdnalds etc and do some reading and learning.

Edited by Dirkitech

My take is that this is a very deliberate attempted copy of what has become a popular design.

BUT, let's be honest here R120 is a ripoff for a pair of socks.

If you're going to charge that, then there is so much margin for anyone else to come in on and undercut you.

I know people are going to say support local, but I'm all for free market where it makes sense. I guess that socks are just made by a machine these days, as there seem to be new entrants all the time with very complex designs. Whether the machine is making the socks in china and shipping it as a finished product, or the chinese made machine is in SA using chinese shipped yarns to SA it kind of becomes the same thing, just with different tariffs on it.

By that you assume Versus were absolutely 1st world wide with this design. 

Let's be honest here, they make a good product, some like the weird designs, but they are not pioneers with the Jelly Bean socks. 

The rant on Twitter is really shooting from the hip, unless they are really delusional enough to think they are unique in that design. 

It appears to be a pretty blatant copy. Agreed, jelly beans can't be monopolised but in this case, it appears that Checkers has done little to add their own creativity to it. Whether Versus can claim copyright will depend on some facts (perhaps there is even a registered aesthetic design) but I think a feisty letter of demand, at the least, is in order.

the assumption is that Versus would not be dumb enough to cannibalise their premium price product like that with a copycat, or that Checkers would pay the figure to make it worthwhile.

well you know what they say about assumptions 

There are very basic design changes that can be implemented for something to bypass any registered/patented design. This can range from the size, shape and colour combinations used.

Is houndstooth a registered design? Can only one clothing manufacturer legally print/ manufacture the houndstooth pattern?

When considering the appeal of socks, one should rather be punting the technical and quality superiority than crying over spilled jelly beans...

Typical twar, significant only in a tiny section of reality.

I'm all for supporting local esp with quality products. SO I have a few pairs of Versus socks I prefer the thicker trail version. They're great for work wear too very comfy and well made. For socks I refuse to pay 100s for one pair, so I have a couple decent cheaper pairs for mtb'ing too.

It seems the in thing is these type of socks and the so called happy socks with funky designs. That's where I won't pay R300 for a pair of socks whether made in Swaziland Lesotho or China or the Queen's palace in Denmark. Designs are designs and they are still just socks. 

But there are differences- some of these socks perhaps Chinese made are crap- they look nice but they're not very well made and I've tossed out a number of these pairs. I don't know about copyright here with Versus versus Checkers- could be Check Mate? But- there may be a noticeable difference between the two in terms of fit thickness and quality of construction. I have never had an issue with Versus socks but have bought cheap Checkers funky socks before and threw them out as honestly they were just crap.  

It appears to be a pretty blatant copy. Agreed, jelly beans can't be monopolised but in this case, it appears that Checkers has done little to add their own creativity to it. Whether Versus can claim copyright will depend on some facts but I think a feisty letter of demand, at the least, is in order.

What I'd wager has happened, is that there is a massive ass factory in China that makes socks in quantities we can't quite comprehend and in a range of designs to boot that would frankly boggle our local minds.

They sent a catalogue to Checkers, from which a winter range was chosen based on them looking cool or what not. Hard for the Checkers buyers to be experts on the thousands of items they supply. And good news, it would have just been a batch, which will sell out and be old news before Summer.

It's also not an exact replica if I'm honest, albeit similar, it's Jelly beans in primary colours on a black sock - it isn't the first pair of jelly bean socks and it's not the last I'm afraid. There are literally hundreds on the market globally, and we live in a global market I'm afraid.

Versus make lekker socks, their quality and proposed value should speak for themselves - if they're worried about Chineses knock offs, then they're going to worry a lot - because these guys don't care and they don't stop (I know, they send me catalogues with my own designs in them)

PS: Local is lekker