SRAM GX or Shimano XT?

Rock Guy

Which 1X option?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1X option would you choose?

• SRAM GX Eagle
    • Shimano XT M8000

Seen as these two options come in at a fairly similar price range I find it difficult to choose between the two. Personally I don't really favor the one brand over the other, although a have my opinions regarding the pros and cons for each.

I know people can be quite religious about their choice of drivetrain and I am sure everyone has their reasons for sticking to one brand over the other. For me it is a balance between cost and reliability mostly. Factors like weight and gear range are secondary and probably don't affect my decision too much. If I want to drag 500g less weight around, I'll put less water in my camelback. If I need more gear range I'll chow some cement pills.

What has been your experience in terms of long term cost vs reliability/durability between the two options?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Sram guy all the way, but the Sram GX Eagle groupsets (cassette specifically) has lots and lots of issues. If you really want 12 speed and do not want to drop too much cash then wait a month or two for the Sram NX group (I know it's a tier down from GX) - from all accounts very good. Saw one in the flesh yesterday at Contermans - looks top notch.

But if it is strictly between those two groupsets I'd go for the XT M8000 - very good, very reliable!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

GX Eagle is all about the range, with a bit of a compromise on quality. If range is not an issue then XT. Very happy with my GX Eagle though.

I am a Shimano guy, but am envious of the 50t on the Eagle, so if I was going for a new drivetrain I would go XT with Sunrace 11-50 cassette and a 34t chainring. I wouldn't need an XD driver and I get to use the I-Spec II feature on my XT brakes

Currenty on XT 11 speed with 11/46 sunrace cassette .I have a GX set in the garage that i will use on another bike soon .I am happy with this setup but i find that my small cogs work way to hard compared with a 2 x drivetrain .If you have a 32 in front you will spend most of your time in the 2 smallest gears .They wear out while the rest of the cassette is still good .With 2 x  the wear is spread much more evenly .I am still holding on to my front derailleurs for now

I am currently also at this crossroads. GX eagle or XT 11-46Sun. Trying to find the perfect balance between cost and perfomance. Must say I am leaning toward XT.

Edited by Baster_Klong

What are these lots and lots and lots of issues with GX?

On XO1 Eagle for 2years without any issues despite my best attempts to break it

Lots of people reporting bad shifting and gear grinding with GX Eagle cassettes - do a quick search on the forums here and you will find them. Seems like the problem is the cassette more so than the shifter or mech.

None of those same problems I have heard of with XO or XX1. I have been riding XO (11spd) for 2 years now without any issues so Sram as a brand has won me over. The issues seem to be isolated to GX Eagle specifically.

What are these lots and lots and lots of issues with GX?

Oh and just lots and lots, not lots and lots and lots ;)

XT is R3000 on special at CWC.

So if your wheelset is shimano type, go with XT. Cassette weighs less than the NX shimano type cassette and it looks newer for longer than the black sram cassettes.

I ride GX and it is very nice. Haven't ridden XT M8000 RD and shifter yet.

After back to back M8000 drivetrains, and 30+ years of only Shimano, I decided to try XO on my new bike.  

Will be putting XTR on as soon as available, and spare cash.

SRAM can go and do things to it's mother we're not allowed to talk about on this forum. :cursing: