Breaking News: Cycle Lab Acquires Chris Willemse Cycles

fanievb

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least we know the "sales" will be real sales now! Yea right.

Never had the best of interactions with CWC despite several attempts to do so, both online and in going into the shop. Eventually decided to rather pay more for stuff and go to other shops and at least have service that appeals to me. So kinda agree with the sentiments of Scotty.

Just to chime in on what appears to be general unhappiness. CWC has been phenomenal with their discount/sale products, quick and efficient service. No doubt the discount and sales will vanish with CycleLab taking over. Nothing against CycleLab, but they are not the best on price by any stretch. Cycling has just got a whole lot more expensive than it already is. Back to international shopping I go, with my weak rand.

Very sad news indeed. Let's hope Evobikes fill the void, but CWC usually won on price. 

Edited by Daxiet

I personally am not ecstatic about this. Wonder what CWC sold for.

Rumours said something like R60 mil.

take it with a pinch of salt though...

I visited CL numerous times and just walked out as their prices are ridiculous, went online and ordered the stuff needed from CWC and with the delivery costs included I still saved more on my online purchase, hope they keep the prices as they did in the past and stick to the sales

What settles it for me:

Cycle lab organised price fixing meetings.

CWC opened up parallel import channels when the distributors were ripping the ring out of it and did their own warranty to back it up.

I just don't see how these guys agreed on anything round a table

The old man built a business over many years, he has obviously decided to exit and got an equitable price.

Good on him, I wish him all the best.

As for us, we have multiple other smaller online shop we can use, and I’m sure they will leverage this opportunity.

IF CL is half as "bad" as many says, this opens a new world of opportunities for the likes of EvoBikes to expand.

Not the first time a "large retailer" have been bought out by a larger national group.  Happens in all industries ....  And each time it has resulted in more "local guys" stepping up to the plate .....

"The best price (we will not be beaten on price!)"

Hold them to this. :)

NEVER !

If you want my business - offer me the right price the first time .... dont expect me to run around getting quote after quote, just for you to match the best price.

having done all the leg work, I will support the company\shop that actually offered me the service and price ....

The old man built a business over many years, he has obviously decided to exit and got an equitable price.

Good on him, I wish him all the best.

As for us, we have multiple other smaller online shop we can use, and I’m sure they will leverage this opportunity.

I don’t think anyone is bleak with a Oom Chris cashing out after working his butt off for years, think it’s more who it was sold to, a business with very different ethos.

Will be interesting to see how unfolds.