[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Data doesn't make sense. There were not 33000 finishers in 2018? Maybe some double counting on the original data sets - tandems wouldn't be enough to make that big a difference.

I can't really say anything about the quality of the data, it's literally a straight download from Racetec. 

But my suspicions about tandems were correct; 1235 (a single tandem??) entries marked TDM in 2018, so subtract 617 from the 27005 recorded Racetec times to get 26388, which is pretty much bang on the total "position":

post-72677-0-49164000-1552376625_thumb.jpg

I've gotten what I needed from the data, so once again - happy to share if someone else wants to have a go at more in-depth.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it possible to finish the argus on an E-Bike? I thought that you get around 2 hours of battery, and for those doing 4h, would mean they had to cycle that heavy bike for 2 hours in the storm of sunday?

All things considered, I am happy with my ride. I went in with zero goal WRT time. I just wanted to get myself and my Dad over the line safely to complete our 28th and 30th tours. I expected to be dropped before the top of hospital bend. Think due to the wind and smart riding I managed to stay with the group till somewhere up Edinburgh drive. From there it was one other tandem that did virtually zero work and 3 dropped single riders. I wasn't phased about the tandem not helping(didn't expect the singles to try on the blue route) as I was not chasing the group and rather just riding my own pace. 1A caught us a few kms before Fish Hoek and we stayed with them till mid way up smits. 1B break caught and dropped us towards the top of smits. Then it was my territory, we geared down and put down the power. As we approached the break with Malcolm Lange in they started saying to each other to jump on. We passed them at 65kph. They never stood a chance. From there it was just a mix match of being caught and catching guys. 

Crossed the line in 3h28m. 

Thanks to everyone involved that makes this race the success that it is.

If you're starting in anything after 2k you are not going to climbing on the podium, so why does it matter if someone wants to support the tour and ride with their kids on an e-bike?

I agree it makes no difference. Also doesn't matter to anyone but themselves if someone at the back-end dopes, or take a short-cut or take a lift in a car, sneak up a few seeding groups etc

But as you move up the field at some point it does start mattering (the exact point it does start mattering we can debate all day long) - so at which point do you start enforcing your rules?

Intuitively it makes sense to me that the same rules should apply to everyone participating (even if breaking them don't impact people around you)

I thought the event was fantastic. It was well organized from the starting chutes to the water stops.

I’ve done 94.7 as well as CTCT and you cannot compare the two. The CTCT is so much more enjoyable largely due to the vibe and the scenery.

I started on a tandem in 4J and had to fight the wind for 109km So I’m happy with a 3:53. Hopefully next year I can get a better seeding time.

Edited by GrantMcD1

I can't really say anything about the quality of the data, it's literally a straight download from Racetec. 

But my suspicions about tandems were correct; 1235 (a single tandem??) entries marked TDM in 2018, so subtract 617 from the 27005 recorded Racetec times to get 26388, which is pretty much bang on the total "position":

attachicon.gifCTCT3.JPG

I've gotten what I needed from the data, so once again - happy to share if someone else wants to have a go at more in-depth.

i don't think it's perfect data

in 2007 i came 752/745 in my group

and 29009/28371 finishers

yes there was a supermarket bike a bakkie sound system and lots of stops involved in that sub7 hour effort

Bro, I started in 6J or whatever.

snip

i rode in 6k with my wife too, the "rubbish" is where the fun is at. Lots of talking k@k and meeting new people, Rode with a guy and his 80y old dad at one point, and some awesome peeps from George for about 40km with some nice convos. Victor Mattfield also makes a nice big hole in the wind...

I still think everyone that started after 9 had it the hardest - condition/weather wise. Yes - the fact that most are casuals made it even more difficult for them.

I also couldn't care less about seeding for a road race btw. if it means i have to start at the back, who cares, We liked passing higher seeded riders ON our bikes up Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie .

I ride - because FUN :) the only negative about the wind for me was that it meant there wasn't really time to stop for a beer more than once :whistling:

i don't think it's perfect data

in 2007 i came 752/745 in my group

and 29009/28371 finishers

yes there was a supermarket bike a bakkie sound system and lots of stops involved in that sub7 hour effort

all that means is that people dropped down from other groups to start in your group. the group sizes are captured by the quantity of race numbers allocated to the group by the seeding run.

When people cross the mats the Racetec system recognises the group by thestart time and then counts the chips. I don;t think they correct the start group size post registration

i rode in 6k with my wife too, the "rubbish" is where the fun is at. Lots of talking k@k and meeting new people, Rode with a guy and his 80y old dad at one point, and some awesome peeps from George for about 40km with some nice convos. Victor Mattfield also makes a nice big hole in the wind...

I still think everyone that started after 9 had it the hardest - condition/weather wise. Yes - the fact that most are casuals made it even more difficult for them.

I also couldn't care less about seeding for a road race btw. if it means i have to start at the back, who cares, We liked passing higher seeded riders ON our bikes up Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie .

I ride - because FUN :) the only negative about the wind for me was that it meant there wasn't really time to stop for a beer more than once :whistling:

Exactly!

That was my point. It's fun at the back but also pretty scary. I had a ball despite the weather.

Having nothing to prove is great. Riding on fully closed roads around the peninsula is special, which kind of leads to my point that as a FUN ride, if people want to do that assisted then cool.

As an aside, don't e-bikes only offer pedal assist up to 27kph? If so, even on an e-bike one would still not really set the course alight and would offer some hopeful seeders a welcome pull into 5A for the next year!

Ah, e-bikes.  I saw one without any numbers or boards.  So I just thought is it one who "slipped" in.

Like most new things in life, it will take time to understand how to deal/incorporate them. 

I for one have a tremendous issue with the "JUST BAN" everything that is new approach. Like AirBnB, Uber etc etc.  Yes there is issues, off course there will be, its new.  But banning, will never work. Even the car was new at some point and yip, banned from the roads at first.

e-Bikes exists. e-Bikes get marketed e-Bikes sell. That is reality.  Rather have an approach to incorporate rather than ban. It is a fun ride after all.

The rules of the event clearly state....no ebikes

Dont like the rule.... tough luck

Find another event that caters to your needs

Why cant we all just follow the rules it's so simple

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

So I agree 100% with abiding by the rules of the event. However unfortunately there seems a general concept nowadays in SA that rules are for others... seen anyone drive through a red traffic light lately?

It might be time for e-bikes to be allowed but with obvious rules around category placements etc.

How does allowing someone in the later groups to gain assistance from using an e-bike differ from people pushing their partners up the hills? It's certainly less dangerous and annoying for fellow cyclists.

The sense of accomplishment of finishing the event under your own steam would be just as eroded but if that's what you're ok with then so be it.

I do wonder however if the organisers are concerned with the potential speed differential that e-bikes in the later bunches could cause, definitely a potential safety risk on the hills.

I do wonder however if the organisers are concerned with the potential speed differential that e-bikes in the later bunches could cause, definitely a potential safety risk on the hills.

Maybe a dedicated e-bike lane  :ph34r:  :ph34r: