[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you see the road, you will see why I did not take a photo, i was too busy praying at that stage to not be murdered by a taxi to actually take a photo...

P!$$ poor excuse. I relied on you a few years back with all the main road roadworks and now you dropping me.  ;)

Wind was never the reason it got canceled that one time.

That was the night before - the reason for the route change.

That said there were wind, protests and fires which all contributed to the cancellation - why 2 years after this people are still nitpicking on how much each factor contributed as if there is some dark hidden secret is completely beyond me.

With all the rain falling this week + cool temperatures we might get to remove fires from this year's conspiracy theories!

Did an almost CTCT dry run yesterday. It was scary for a number of reasons. We started at about 7 which was a tad late. The main road was thick with cyclists but all in single file until a large group entered the road at Boyes Drive. They proceeded to make a peleton of sorts and ride 2-3 abreast at times and occupied an entire lane at the Muizenberg traffic lights. We stayed well back lest we be tarred with the same brush... It was  embarassing to witness. 

The cape point to Scarbourough section was lovely but after that it was a constant battle with traffic and bikes. The intersection debacle at Kommetjie is a disaster - the lanes are super narrow and there is a detour into the shopping center FFS. This is still mild compared to the madness of Camps Bay, Clifton and Beach Road Sea Point. It was almost a pleasure to scoot through the city and home via Salt River and Woodstock. 

Looking forward to the tour and getting bacl on my MTB's again. This road stuff is hectic.

That was the night before - the reason for the route change.

That said there were wind, protests and fires which all contributed to the cancellation - why 2 years after this people are still nitpicking on how much each factor contributed as if there is some dark hidden secret is completely beyond me.

With all the rain falling this week + cool temperatures we might get to remove fires from this year's conspiracy theories!

Nope....not nitpicking.  Just pissed to have gone through the trouble to enter, travel moer far, start riding and then get stopped to be told "the wind is too dangerous".  #kakstorie

I am an ape, but I an old ape......I pick my chain up when I walk.

Doesn't matter.

That said.....we are digressing from an awesome thread.

Wish I was there and will be having bad FOMO this week.  

Doesn't matter what the weather, it always is a stunning ride in probably the prettiest part of the world!!!!  

Enjoy everyone.

post-25-0-96203200-1551700333_thumb.jpg

Anybody know if the Magnificent Seven are all riding this year?

I think one of the 7 has retired

Anybody know if the Magnificent Seven are all riding this year?

Its down to 6 now! Not sure if all 6 are riding.

Edited by Icycling