Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

Is it possible to customize the zones for power and heart rate?

Power zones just got customisable. Like HR you need to keep 7 zones but they can be whatever you like. Intervals.icu combines 1+2, 3+4, and 5+ to make 3 zones for classification and so on. So you can subdivide a 3 zone model accordingly.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thanks again David, it's a really fantastic tool. It already rivaled the best tools a few months ago, but now it's just awesome.

I particularly enjoyed some of the educational materials you linked to, like "aerobic decoupling". The Power/HR graph with the ability to exclude warm-up/cooldown samples is also great. The user power distribution graphs on the /power page put things into context, enjoyable to place oneself.

The system is not only interesting and functional but it's also aesthetically pleasing and technically cool (asynchronous loading on the fitness graph page).

So yes, thank you :)

Hi David,

Got a new estimated FTP message last night.

Doesn't seem to be calculated from the 95% of 20min power effort at 305W method.

Then my estimated FTP should be around 290 Watts.

How does it determine my estimated FTP to be 306 Watts? Doesn't sound correct.

post-119556-0-87105600-1587543978_thumb.jpeg

Hi David. How do I calculate how much TSS an session must be in order to increase my fitness number in the CTL graph ?

Doesn't seem to be calculated from the 95% of 20min power effort at 305W method.

Then my estimated FTP should be around 290 Watts.

How does it determine my estimated FTP to be 306 Watts? Doesn't sound correct.

I had a look at that activity and I think it is all good. Basically your 9m @346w is a more impressive effort than your 20m @305w. According to the algorithm you should be able to do more than 305w for 20m. So thats why it has used your 9m effort to estimate FTP even though you did a PB for 20m.

If you look at the /power page and just enable the last 42 or 84 days you can see this. If you position the marker at the 20m mark the 1st number is what you have done (305w) and the second is what the curve says you should be able to do (320w) which would give you an FTP of 304w with the 95% method.

What you could do (on fresh legs!) is try do a 20m effort at 320w. That would be an interesting test.

I had a look at that activity and I think it is all good. Basically your 9m @346w is a more impressive effort than your 20m @305w. According to the algorithm you should be able to do more than 305w for 20m. So thats why it has used your 9m effort to estimate FTP even though you did a PB for 20m.

If you look at the /power page and just enable the last 42 or 84 days you can see this. If you position the marker at the 20m mark the 1st number is what you have done (305w) and the second is what the curve says you should be able to do (320w) which would give you an FTP of 304w with the 95% method.

What you could do (on fresh legs!) is try do a 20m effort at 320w. That would be an interesting test.

Haha, maybe interesting to you, to me it sounds like pain!![emoji13]

Thanks David, that makes sense! Guess it's time for a FTP test soon, haven't done one in a while.

Hi David. How do I calculate how much TSS an session must be in order to increase my fitness number in the CTL graph ?

I think the easiest is probably just to look at what TSS you need to do per day. If your CTL is 50 and you do 50 TSS/day then it will stay at 50. So if you bump that to 55 per day it will go up. So then you need to do 7 * 55 = 385/week. Split that up across your rides for the week. I think that will work out.

The ride power page has a new decoupling related chart that helps understand the relationship between power and heart rate. It plots a 60s moving average of intensity (power/eFTP percentage) against HR as a percentage of HR reserve (max HR - resting HR). A rising HR line and falling power line on an endurance ride indicates cardiac drift.

post-5083-0-51782200-1587924200_thumb.png

This was inspired by Dr Seiler's latest video: See thread here: https://forum.intervals.icu/t/stephen-sieler-on-cardiac-drift-power-hr-and-so-on/734

The /fitness page and other places that display form can now show it as a percentage of fitness instead of an absolute number. This makes the form zones (optimal training etc.) more applicable to athletes with less than 100 fitness. This setting is available in “Options” on the fitness page and in /settings. “Percentage of fitness” is the default setting for new athletes.

post-5083-0-05096800-1588948458_thumb.png

The /fitness page and other places that display form can now show it as a percentage of fitness instead of an absolute number. This makes the form zones (optimal training etc.) more applicable to athletes with less than 100 fitness. This setting is available in “Options” on the fitness page and in /settings. “Percentage of fitness” is the default setting for new athletes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 06.17.25.png

What is this mythical 100 fitness you speak of, I barely get out of my 20s at the end of my cycling season..?

Jokes aside, great work David!