Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

I've been following the 'Fitness' graphs for my activities and finding the fatigue vs fitness lines very interesting & useful. 

My road bike and indoor trainer have power meters but my MTB does not. Saturday I did a longish MTB ride which barely features in terms of fatigue, yet it took more of a toll than Thursdays.
If compared to my Thursday morning road ride which had a lower ave heart rate plus duration was less than half that of Saturdays, Saturdays activity should be a sizable bump in my fatigue.

Ofcourse the best way to rectify this in future would be to equip the MTB with a power meter but is there a way for me to manually (or otherwise) compensate/correct the activity so that the impact on the overall graph can be more accurate?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

post-22844-0-76841500-1603259352_thumb.jpg

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following the 'Fitness' graphs for my activities and finding the fatigue vs fitness lines very interesting & useful. 

My road bike and indoor trainer have power meters but my MTB does not. Saturday I did a longish MTB ride which barely features in terms of fatigue, yet it took more of a toll than Thursdays.

If compared to my Thursday morning road ride which had a lower ave heart rate plus duration was less than half that of Saturdays, Saturdays activity should be a sizable bump in my fatigue.

Ofcourse the best way to rectify this in future would be to equip the MTB with a power meter but is there a way for me to manually (or otherwise) compensate/correct the activity so that the impact on the overall graph can be more accurate?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Looks like you don't have heart rate zones set up. You need to set heart rate zones so it can estimate a training load for activities with only heart rate data and no power data. You can do that in the settings screen next to your power zones.

Tx Jehosefat yes you need to configure HR zones to get training load for HR-only activities. Also I noticed that your FTP is probably set a bit low. It is causing some of your ride power to get clipped as a "spike". Thats what the little orange bolt icons on the calendar are.

Looks like you don't have heart rate zones set up. You need to set heart rate zones so it can estimate a training load for activities with only heart rate data and no power data. You can do that in the settings screen next to your power zones.

Thank you so much!

Wow. That resolved it and was so easy too.

I'll be paying more attention to fine-tuning these settings as I get more data. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi David,

As always - thanks so much for this page - it's beyond epic!

Not sure if this has been asked previously, but have you considered a mobile APP for the platform?

Tx. Yes it has been asked (a lot!) but I decided to make the web site work nicely on small screens instead. It runs well on my iPhone 8 and have had good reports for other phones.

Not quite as good as an app but this way I can put all my effort into the web app and not have to also have to maintain iOS and Android apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Intervals.icu now tracks left/right power balance, per activity and over time for .fit files (not Strava data)

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 16.33.09.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 16.35.11.png

https://forum.intervals.icu/t/left-right-balance-graphs-from-garmin-connect/2552/3

Oh I’ll look into it, does it mean we must import manually our files or can we sync with Garmin connect instead of Strava ?

Other questions : would it be possible to take into account laps for intervals detection ? (Strava picks up the laps from the lap button or from the training peaks workouts) but on intervals.icu it seems to pickup very different intervals (I’m not so good at being steady ????)

Also is there a way to find a history or something similar to a power curve but for torque ?

Thanks for your work, it is really amazing and my main analysis tool ????

Tx!

You can sync directly with Garmin Connect instead of Strava otherwise you can upload .fit files manually.

Intervals.icu will do better with laps on .fit files from Garmin Connect or manually uploaded that those from Strava. Strava has a bug related to intervals and the privacy zone if you have that turned on. Intervals.icu can't use the interval data from the device directly because it doesn't map back to the power and other traces, which is required to support interval editing. So it maps the intervals start and end times as best it can to the underlying data and re-computes everything.

You can choose torque on the interval search page which is helpful to see progression if you are doing torque intervals. But there isn't a "torque curve" yet.

Tx!

You can sync directly with Garmin Connect instead of Strava otherwise you can upload .fit files manually.

Intervals.icu will do better with laps on .fit files from Garmin Connect or manually uploaded that those from Strava. Strava has a bug related to intervals and the privacy zone if you have that turned on. Intervals.icu can't use the interval data from the device directly because it doesn't map back to the power and other traces, which is required to support interval editing. So it maps the intervals start and end times as best it can to the underlying data and re-computes everything.

You can choose torque on the interval search page which is helpful to see progression if you are doing torque intervals. But there isn't a "torque curve" yet.

Awesome thanks I'll look to pair directly to garmin connect rather than Strava !

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered Intervals.icu today and liked it to Strava

I've been following my fitness progress on the "Elevate" Strava tool for some time now.

And the result of the 2 applications seems to be exactly the same???

Edited by Underachiever

Hi david,

I'm trying to input HRV and other health data, but when I hit OK is give me a JSON Parse Error.

I had the same this morning. I removed the point and decimal value and it was then fine.

I had the same this morning. I removed the point and decimal value and it was then fine.

thanks that worked, for some reason it did not work earlier in the day. probably me doing something wrong

The part I hate about tracking fitness !!

Ran into issues with my iron levels dropping really low, and as a result had to skip any serious training since the start of this year. Now just watching the numbers go down :thumbdown: :thumbdown: 

post-67394-0-98872300-1611840458_thumb.jpg