Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

32 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

me: we should really clear up that pile of dead branches at the bottom of the garden

walk passed the shed, do a world record standing long jump.

image.png.a551b6f305cfa59317b9819f13288520.png

phone the local snake guy, money well spent!

not touching the wood pile for a bit now!

(this was early september - location: fish hoek)

damn. never considered fish hoek to be snake teritory, but I guess it does make sense having mountains on each side.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had this magnificent cobra around our house for the last 2 years, unfortunately we have been unable to catch and relocate it yet. It hasnt been seen yet this season. The snake catchers were queuing to catch this one due to its size. 

Puffy's I relocate myself, but this cobra is well beyond my ability.

I have seen a puffy raise itself like in the photo before, it is unusual, but if they need to see up onto something they can do so. Good thing is it is pretty relaxed if it is doing that. If the head is curled back and it is making a hissing, grunting noise, then best you keep your distance

Snake.jpg

Have been in Singapore and Thailand the last few months and have seen more snakes on trails here than I care for. I don’t like snakes.

Largest was a 4m Burmese python on a trail run in the jungle lying right across the path. It was absolutely massive. Most deadly was probably a Malaysian Blue Coral snake. I thought it was just a bit of cable lying in the trail until it started moving. 

Also saw varying sized tree snakes and a huge snake (around 2m) which looked just like a mole snake back home. The weird thing is that the Thais don’t really bat an eyelid when you tell them stories of snakes. They have so many here. 

It’s also amazing how you react to the snake you before you realise what you are looking at.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, Newbie321 said:

IMG_20221103_125439.jpg

Rode past another one a few turns later, this was darker and looked more menacing with it's tongue out

If this was Thursday I rode past there countless times :eek:

6 hours ago, Brawler said:

If this was Thursday I rode past there countless times :eek:

Based on what  I saw today as well, it's safe to say that whether you see them or not they are near

Conties at the weekend as well, you couldn't stand still for a second close to anything higher than a blade of grass, they were everywhere. And the ants! we almost got eaten alive by the ants on some of the trails while sessioning some features. 

16 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

It's not just the snakes trying to kill us. I pulled three ticks off my legs during the day yesterday. Perks of having an outside job...

Ticks are particularly bad at the moment.

Picked more than a dozen off myself after a visit to Faircape recently. Yes, after a foray into the chrubs. Then, while driving home I picked off another half a dozen. And, stripped naked at home another half a dozen while I put my clothes into the washing machine with an extra dollop of soap. Next morning, on the way to work, more climbed on me while driving. Squished 3. Fumigated the inside of the car before using it again. Now have a whole lot of itchy bitemarks all over. Slowly getting better and no sign yet of tickbite fever. Didn't enjoy that the previous time.

I feel like trying out my dogs medication again.........

Edited by DJR

18 minutes ago, DJR said:

Ticks are particularly bad at the moment.

Picked more than a dozen off myself after a visit to Faircape recently. Yes, after a foray into the chrubs. Then, while driving home I picked off another half a dozen. And, stripped naked at home another half a dozen while I put my clothes into the washing machine with an extra dollop of soap. Next morning, on the way to work, more climbed on me while driving. Squished 3. Fumigated the inside of the car before using it again. Now have a whole lot of itchy bitemarks all over. Slowly getting better and no sign yet of tickbite fever. Didn't enjoy that the previous time.

I feel like trying out my dogs medication again.........

I found myself itching like mad after standing in the flora watching folks hit that new gap jump at Bloemendal with @MORNE  a few weeks back. Not long after we both ended up with similar 'bites' on the legs. 

I hope they weren't tick bites 😬. I thought I got attacked by fleas or lice at some stage, but found no evidence of them. Contermans is tick paradise at present. I suppose it's all over really.