Rider down R27. Please help identify cyclist

ivan888

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a lone cyclist head out that way earlier today at the R27 Bigbay intersection. He was not wearing a helmet. I commented on how stupid he was to do that, and on that road.

I pray it was not the same guy, but I have a serious suspicion it is him. Bike looks familiar.

hope the cyclist is ok.

original post is quite confusing to me at least, but I'm sure there's a reason why it happened like this.

cyclist from sea point

crashes on the ?R27

and gets taken to somerset west

R27 goes from milnerton to upington

giving a location/intersection is probably a bit more accurate and useful

AND, from what i can see here it sounds like a hit and run, if it is indeed the case, then that is also tragic.

silicone iceid for me.i wear it permanently and never take it off.

^^^^ THIS! you need something to speak for you when you cannot.

I have the bracelet and a tag velcro'd onto my helmet strap. Details are my name, suburb, 2x contact details, medical aid # and allergies. these are on both tags.

hope the cyclist is ok.

original post is quite confusing to me at least, but I'm sure there's a reason why it happened like this.

cyclist from sea point

crashes on the ?R27

and gets taken to somerset west

R27 goes from milnerton to upington

giving a location/intersection is probably a bit more accurate and useful

AND, from what i can see here it sounds like a hit and run, if it is indeed the case, then that is also tragic.

Should probably be Sormerset Hospital which is in Greenpoint

This thread made me look at and order a ID bracelet. Also as I registered as an organ donor I'm thinking of adding this info on the tag should the worse happen. I really recommend people to do this also. As a fit and healthy community this can really save lives

For a once off payment you get a Medicalert bracelet or hanger with all your details . I have worn mine for more than 20 years. When your details ( such as the name of your wife ) changes , you just let them know by e mail.

how do you know it would have been much worse? A/B test on the spot? 

I have gone O.T.B. twice where I was concussed afterwards. On both occasions, the helmet saved my head from much more severe injury. A cycling helmet is designed in such a way to break apart during impact, dissipating the resultant forces to the head. I am very glad to not have suffered cracks to the skull, or even just gashes to my head during those falls. The first one was on tar, where I smacked the road with my forehead. The helmet saved me from a very serious injury. The second was on single track. I managed to head but a rock, and had severe concussive injury because of it, as well as a few gashes to the face. It would have been MUCH worse without a helmet.

The debate about helmets will not soon go away, but from my own experience, I will NEVER advocate riding without one.

how do you know it would have been much worse? A/B test on the spot? 

uuuuhhhhh, ja okay. I get it. You like trolling, right?

I tell you what. You go klap a planet (don't forget to include a rock) at 38km/h while not wearing a helmet, and see how that works for you. My crash can be used as a control, seeing as I was wearing my helmet. For me, the injuries to my face alone tell me that it WOULD have been worse. Not COULD have...WOULD have. Also the fact that I was under observation by a neurologist for 4 days pre-op tells me that I was in a heap of danger.

You can argue the point all you like. It does not change the fact that helmet saved my life.

I have had helmets crack under impact when crashing and most scary of all having a chain ring embed itself into the back of my helmet when messing up on a drop.....helmets save lives, and in the very least reduce the amount of paint you are subjected to in a crash.

I have had helmets crack under impact when crashing and most scary of all having a chain ring embed itself into the back of my helmet when messing up on a drop.....helmets save lives, and in the very least reduce the amount of paint you are subjected to in a crash.

My father, the senior DJR, had a very serious crash about 10 years ago when he was nearly 70. Besides for his multiple fractures to both arms and one shoulder, lacerations to his face and bruises, roasties from head to toe, he suffered no head injury. I looked at his helmet afterwards, it was broken in two, held together by the straps, had clear black tyre tread marks over one half of it. That can only mean one thing: The car wheel must have gone over his head, because the helmet was only removed in the ER. With hard work he recovered and rode 10 Arguses since.

(Yes, I know it is anecdotal and not a scientific study, but I'll keep telling his story, because sometimes science, just like the law, can be a blinkered ass!)

Edited by DJR

My father, the senior DJR, had a very serious crash about 10 years ago when he was nearly 70. Besides for his multiple fractures to both arms and one shoulder, lacerations to his face and bruises, roasties from head to toe, he suffered no head injury. I looked at his helmet afterwards, it was broken in two, held together by the straps, had clear black tyre tread marks over one half of it. That can only mean one thing: The car wheel must have gone over his head, because the helmet was only removed in the ER. With hard work he recovered and rode 10 Arguses since.

(Yes, I know it is anecdotal and not a scientific study, but I'll keep telling his story, because sometimes science, just like the law, can be a blinkered ass!)

I used to be ok with not wearing a helmet when training, only putting it on for races because "no helmet no ride"

My first Argus 20 years ago, heading through Scarborough, my mate just behind me. We hit a little dip in the road at 60km/h, my mate goes OTB. 

Helmet looked like it hit the bars (he was on a MTB at the time) and cracked. 

Seeing that convinced me to wear a helmet eveytime I get on the bike.

Here is a medical 2 cents worth on the helmet debate:

https://www.bmj.com/content/327/7429/1459 

There is no evidence that a parachute saves lives as they have never been tested in a proper clinical trial: one group jumping out of a plane with and one group without and see how many survive.... all anecdotal that they save lives....

Irrespective of what the science tells us - it remains a good idea to have something on your head to come between your brain and tar/gravel/tree/car!   good common sense and science aren't always in sync. 

Also, your dad sounds like a badass... Good on him! :D