The Veganism Thread

Odinson

You can't compare the long term affects of vaping to veganism. If you have a major dificiency in your diet then you will know within a month. It's not like smoking/vaping where you'll know you have problems within a year.

Right

Edited by DJR

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1-week study doesn't equate to decades of following a vegan diet for 60-80 years (Ask the people who thought vaping was safe last year).

Are you referring to the few isolated cases who bought THC vape juices of eastern origin that had been thinned with vitamin E oils?

The same cases that goverments backed by big tobacco money are trying to use to have vaping banned all over the place?

Bottom line is that gathering a bunch of anecdotal "facts" and stringing them together in a post looks good but is often questionable in terms of its validity. 

Just a thought.

Are you referring to the few isolated cases who bought THC vape juices of eastern origin that had been thinned with vitamin E oils?

The same cases that goverments backed by big tobacco money are trying to use to have vaping banned all over the place?

Bottom line is that gathering a bunch of anecdotal "facts" and stringing them together in a post looks good but is often questionable in terms of its validity.

Just a thought.

That’s a good point, and extremely relevant to many veganist arguments

What do you think DJR? How long should it take?

Now THAT is a good question. I wish there was a straight answer, but I think a lot of it is that we don't really know.

As for smoking, some of the effects show up decades later, like lung cancer 30 or 40 years down the line, as one example. For diet the same is true - that stroke or heart attack you have after many years of being overweight.

I think that some good and bad will show early, but others will only show much later. Perhaps decades later?

What will the effect of a strictly vegan diet have on a young girl when she is old and become prone to osteoporosis? Nobody really knows the answer yet, simply because too few women have lived on a strictly vegan diet for long enough. Too few people have done it for a lifetime. 

I know I haven't answered your question, but perhaps there simply is no answer yet? Just more questions.

So last night I had both sides of my family over for dinner(direct and in-laws) along with all of kids etc.

We made burritos and didnt tell anyone it wasnt actually pulled pork in the burritos but actually a vegan substitute. I had to tell my brother beforehand seeing as how he is vegan but no one else knew.

Everyone loved them and were very complimentary, it came as a bit of a shock to my father in law who is a hardened meat eater that they in fact contained no meat!

So its given some ideas to some people who previously thought they wouldnt be able to go without meat because veggie based food is bland and boring.

So last night I had both sides of my family over for dinner(direct and in-laws) along with all of kids etc.

We made burritos and didnt tell anyone it wasnt actually pulled pork in the burritos but actually a vegan substitute. I had to tell my brother beforehand seeing as how he is vegan but no one else knew.

Everyone loved them and were very complimentary, it came as a bit of a shock to my father in law who is a hardened meat eater that they in fact contained no meat!

So its given some ideas to some people who previously thought they wouldnt be able to go without meat because veggie based food is bland and boring.

Excellent, hopefully that will make the meat reduction easier for them.

Unfortunately I am having a meaty day today, biltong and boerie rolls, but that’s is only because Josh has been yakking again.

Excellent, hopefully that will make the meat reduction easier for them.

Unfortunately I am having a meaty day today, biltong and boerie rolls, but that’s is only because Josh has been yakking again.

:clap:  :whistling:

Would love to get that recipe please, RB.

We can only make the best decisions possible based on the evidence available.

The key is to use actual evidence not anecdotal evidence and do as much research as possible.

For me (and this is a personal point) it involved changing my current degree slightly to incorporate nutritional subjects - specifically in the college of sciences. As well as a part time personal trainer course (although admittedly this was more to improve understanding of fitness and heart rate training) and then to read read read.

I have read so many books on plant based and omnivorous diets it is probably unhealthy. My opinion is that a plant based diet is ideal BUT as with any diet, you should pay attention to health markers. Regular testing of some of the high risk items (B12, iron, calcium etc) is necessary. I would recommend this sort of philosophy for meat eaters as well.

Ultimately, even if you reduce your meat intake the benefits are substantial. 

On the anecdotal side - my families health has improved since removing meat, although to play devils advocate, it coincided with the same timing for us becoming more health conscious across multiple areas. So we cannot attribute the benefits to the meat alone.

I do think an important distinction should be made between a healthy vegan diet and an unhealthy one. 

Slap chips are vegan - but they aint healthy. 

Its really important for each person to evaluate what they are doing to themselves and the world and make informed (as much as possible) choices into being your best version. That applies to diet and health (mental and physical). Sometimes knowing that you are contributing to a better world is helpful mentally as well.

There is no place for extremist activism of any kind. I despise aggressive activism on all fronts. Left or Right.

Basically, dont be a dick.

The key is to use actual evidence not anecdotal evidence and do as much research as possible.

For me (and this is a personal point) it involved changing my current degree slightly to incorporate nutritional subjects - specifically in the college of sciences. As well as a part time personal trainer course (although admittedly this was more to improve understanding of fitness and heart rate training) and then to read read read.

I have read so many books on plant based and omnivorous diets it is probably unhealthy. My opinion is that a plant based diet is ideal BUT as with any diet, you should pay attention to health markers. Regular testing of some of the high risk items (B12, iron, calcium etc) is necessary. I would recommend this sort of philosophy for meat eaters as well.

On the anecdotal side - my families health has improved since removing meat, although to play devils advocate, it coincided with the same timing for us becoming more health conscious across multiple areas. So we cannot attribute the benefits to the meat alone.

I do think an important distinction should be made between a healthy vegan diet and an unhealthy one.

Its really important for each person to evaluate what they are doing to themselves and the world and make informed (as much as possible) choices into being your best version. That applies to diet and health (mental and physical). Sometimes knowing that you are contributing to a better world is helpful mentally as well.

There is no place for extremist activism of any kind. I despise aggressive activism on all fronts. Left or Right.

It’s arguments like yours that I think are effective in helping more people look at plant based diets in a positive manner ????????

Best bit of plant based news ever!

Researchers at Oregon State have patented a new strain of seaweed that tastes like bacon when it's cooked.

The seaweed, a form of red marine algae, looks like translucent red lettuce. It also has twice the nutritional value of kale and grows very quickly. Did we mention it tastes like bacon?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/researchers-discover-seaweed-that-tastes-like-bacon-and-is-twice-as-healthy-as-kale-a7455071.html

Wayne, excellent post. +1 too Patch's statement, man. 

Care to share more on this?