Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

We received feedback from Momentum.

The reason they rejected the treatment plan, is because we are not on a high enough scheme plan to get the treatment.

The cost of the treatment is R241000 for 4 cycles of treatment.

So they said I must move up to a better scheme plan to get the treatment. Cost will be about R3000 per month extra.

So now we again have to wait for another treatment plan, and then hope that I would get approval for it.

With the current plan, I can basically get the same treatment as I received at Steve Biko. Or that is what it seems like.

Stay strong China

Edited by BigDL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sheldon

At this stage, I am not sure how things are going. Momentum is full of poo! So I am still waiting to hear back from them on what treatment they are willing to pay for.

Every day is still a struggle with my stomach problems. I have resorted to diapers as there are times where I do not make it to the bathroom in time. I am on the point of phoning the surgeon and asking for a stoma to be put back.

At the moment I can only take it day by day. It’s not easy, some days are a lot harder than others. I am not sure if I will survive this beast inside of me anymore...

You are a strong brave soul

Hi Sheldon

At this stage, I am not sure how things are going. Momentum is full of poo! So I am still waiting to hear back from them on what treatment they are willing to pay for.

Every day is still a struggle with my stomach problems. I have resorted to diapers as there are times where I do not make it to the bathroom in time. I am on the point of phoning the surgeon and asking for a stoma to be put back.

At the moment I can only take it day by day. It’s not easy, some days are a lot harder than others. I am not sure if I will survive this beast inside of me anymore...

Hang tough Cois!

Thanks BigDL.

Sadly it is true. Some doctors are ruthless when it comes to what the charge. And Momentum is ruthless in paying the hospitals and doctors. Every visit to the hospital is a huge nightmare with unpaid items at every twist and turn.

I have some sad news.

Today I visited a client. They did not have water on-site, so I could not visit the bathroom when I needed.

When I got to the office this afternoon, there was blood in my stool again. I still do not have control over my bowels. So I have to make the dreaded call.

I will have to get a stoma (colostomy I hope) again. I know what effect it will have on me, I know the depression with it and the cost, but not being able to make the bathroom in time 3 to 4 times per day is not working.

I have stopped eating during the day and only eat one meal at night.

I want to thank every one of you for the messages and the help. Especially the financial help. I would not be able to fight this on my own. One day when I can we will all cycle together! And that is the only thing I can look forward to now!

Thanks my Hubber Family! Love you all!

Have a appointment to see the doctor after 17h30 tomorrow evening.

The receptionist wanted to help me tonight, but the surgeon was in theatre most of today., and was fully booked for the afternoon.

Had a talk with Momentum as well. The oncologist has to send a motivation to get me on the chemo that will work for me. They will re-evaluate the application as we are a month and a half later on my treatment that I need that they deemed to expensive.

So I hope for a better outcome as the pain is starting to get to me.

Have a appointment to see the doctor after 17h30 tomorrow evening.

The receptionist wanted to help me tonight, but the surgeon was in theatre most of today., and was fully booked for the afternoon.

Had a talk with Momentum as well. The oncologist has to send a motivation to get me on the chemo that will work for me. They will re-evaluate the application as we are a month and a half later on my treatment that I need that they deemed to expensive.

So I hope for a better outcome as the pain is starting to get to me.

Hope its a good outcome for you too and it is resolved speedily so that the pain can lessen.  

Just got back from the surgeon. Will be booked in on either Tuesday or Wednesday for surgery.

Will get a stoma again.

There is damage to my sphincter so I do not have control over my bowels and with the first surgery to remove the cancer the doctor said there was a very slim chance that a reversal will work because the cancer was growing lower than we thought.

The surgery will not be a small surgery. The chance of being completely opened up again is there, as we do not know what new damage and cancer will be found. So no laparoscopic surgery.

That said, it all depends on my bloodwork (as I am still anemic and my blood counts are low) and my sodium levels.