Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Started getting things ready to get back on the bike.

Ordered a tow hitch because my dad destroyed my roof carrier to fit it to their camping trailer. Will get the tow hitch fitted next week.

Will try to work on the bike the public holiday. The tyers are flat and guess there is a meter of dust on the bike.

Hope to take the bike out to Cow House sometime before next year if I do not start chemo this year.

Can’t wait to be outside in nature again

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Cois, I don't say much, but I want to now. We have two things in common...

First - we're both Marais - hard, tuff French harbour boys, not that French aristocracy...

Second - we both have cancer.

I don't follow this fred, just because...

But whenever I think/feel what I have is tough, I search out this thread... And it makes me firstly thankful because when I read all your posts, I realize that what I have and am going through with treatment, is jackshit compared to what you are going through...

And secondly - you are inspiring - the way you fight, that will be one of your legacies.

Thanks Mate. And strongs.

You're welcome to bring your bike over to me, I'll gladly work on it for you ????

Started getting things ready to get back on the bike.

Ordered a tow hitch because my dad destroyed my roof carrier to fit it to their camping trailer. Will get the tow hitch fitted next week.

Will try to work on the bike the public holiday. The tyers are flat and guess there is a meter of dust on the bike.

Hope to take the bike out to Cow House sometime before next year if I do not start chemo this year.

Can’t wait to be outside in nature again

You're welcome to bring your bike over to me, I'll gladly work on it for you [emoji51]

Thanks.

I just need to pump the wheels and replace the sealant. That is the only thing I am going to sukkel a bit with. The rest would be a breeze. But my dad will help with tyres and pumping the tyres.

Hi Cois

How are you doing ?

HOPING it is a hospital free rest period for you and the family !!

Each time I see this add I think of you -

attachicon.gifMH.jpg

Hi Chris.

At home and not the hospital. Feels weird not to spend December in hospital.

Fudge Momentum forced us to another tier so that I can get the needed chemo. But now everyone went quiet. If it was possible I would have wanted to start on chemo over the holiday period. It is a new treatment so would have been better to start it when I am at home and not at work.

We have endless trouble with Momentum at the moment. Non payment of doctors bills and blood tests. The new tier in the medical scheme has a R400000 oncology limit. But still missing out on R300000 of this years.

Got a tow hitch installed this morning, got new tubeless valves for the bike so hope to be on the bike next week. But have a feeling that it would be a 5km max ride.

Mowed the lawn on Saturday and had to sit down because I was super light headed.

Lets hope I can stay out of the hospital this year [emoji16]

Hi Chris.

At home and not the hospital. Feels weird not to spend December in hospital.

Fudge Momentum forced us to another tier so that I can get the needed chemo. But now everyone went quiet. If it was possible I would have wanted to start on chemo over the holiday period. It is a new treatment so would have been better to start it when I am at home and not at work.

We have endless trouble with Momentum at the moment. Non payment of doctors bills and blood tests. The new tier in the medical scheme has a R400000 oncology limit. But still missing out on R300000 of this years.

Got a tow hitch installed this morning, got new tubeless valves for the bike so hope to be on the bike next week. But have a feeling that it would be a 5km max ride.

Mowed the lawn on Saturday and had to sit down because I was super light headed.

Lets hope I can stay out of the hospital this year [emoji16]

5km of awesomeness yes!

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.

Not much has happened the last few weeks.  Still waiting for Momentum to give the go ahead on my chemo treatment.  Have 4 stitches left in my stoma that has to be removed as it seems that they are not going to dissolve on their own so have to schedule with the stoma clinic to have it removed.

Went to the optometrist this past weekend.  I have been struggling to see from my last hospital visit, and had to get a optometrist that can make scleral lenses or hard lenses.  The Keratoconus is still a huge problem, but now have discoloration of my lenses in my eyes do to chemo.  My lenses are no longer clear, but they have dulled to a grey color due to the chemo treatments that I received.

My butt is itching to get onto a bicycle again. I cleaned out the tires (all the stuck on sealant) and got my bike ready.  Will have to do the same to the SO bike as well.  And just get the 4 stitches removed. and get the new contact lenses as I can't cycle with my old glasses at the moment.  So looking up and up at the moment. 

Morning all.

Not much has happened the last few weeks.  Still waiting for Momentum to give the go ahead on my chemo treatment.  Have 4 stitches left in my stoma that has to be removed as it seems that they are not going to dissolve on their own so have to schedule with the stoma clinic to have it removed.

Went to the optometrist this past weekend.  I have been struggling to see from my last hospital visit, and had to get a optometrist that can make scleral lenses or hard lenses.  The Keratoconus is still a huge problem, but now have discoloration of my lenses in my eyes do to chemo.  My lenses are no longer clear, but they have dulled to a grey color due to the chemo treatments that I received.

My butt is itching to get onto a bicycle again. I cleaned out the tires (all the stuck on sealant) and got my bike ready.  Will have to do the same to the SO bike as well.  And just get the 4 stitches removed. and get the new contact lenses as I can't cycle with my old glasses at the moment.  So looking up and up at the moment. 

I really hope you have a better 2021 Cois... your attitude and positivity is inspirational and I'm going to use it to remind myself and others that despite the curve balls life has thrown at us all this last year - we're here and we have a lot to be grateful for! Best we all make the most of what we can

All the best Cois, and thank you  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

We are still waiting on Momentum to stop taking me for a ride. My wife contacted them again today, no reply. The head of Oncology is on leave.

Started noticing that I have a dull pain on my abdominal area. So hope Momentum will stock mucking about. I have a feeling it is starting to be a battle that I do not have the energy to fight.

I had a contact lens fitment this afternoon. I started tearing up when I could read text on the screen. It has been a very long time since I could see even though it is only 80%.

I apologize if I post things that I have posted. I noticed that I can’t remember things anymore. Even some of our budgies are a challenge attempting to remember their names. So it is a challenge at work. They expect me to remember what clients' systems I worked on from last month. Just glad that I was at the doctor as they are attempting to pin things on me. So things at work are a bit tough and starting to put a huge amount of stress on me. It sucks if you are accused of things left right and center every bloody day.

Hi there

We are still waiting on Momentum to stop taking me for a ride. My wife contacted them again today, no reply. The head of Oncology is on leave.

Started noticing that I have a dull pain on my abdominal area. So hope Momentum will stock mucking about. I have a feeling it is starting to be a battle that I do not have the energy to fight.

I had a contact lens fitment this afternoon. I started tearing up when I could read text on the screen. It has been a very long time since I could see even though it is only 80%.

I apologize if I post things that I have posted. I noticed that I can’t remember things anymore. Even some of our budgies are a challenge attempting to remember their names. So it is a challenge at work. They expect me to remember what clients' systems I worked on from last month. Just glad that I was at the doctor as they are attempting to pin things on me. So things at work are a bit tough and starting to put a huge amount of stress on me. It sucks if you are accused of things left right and center every bloody day.

Vasbyt Cois, you are in the right and no need to apologize.