Johann Rissik RIP

Prince Albert Cycles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ag no. Heart breaking to hear. Such a gentleman. Gave us his cheese & sardines lunch when he was Race Director at Race to Willowmore 2017 and a couple of us were craving food in the Baviaans. RIP Johann.

oh my. 

at a loss.

The first time I met him was in winter 2008. I had ridden a bike from pietermaritzburg to prince albert, and was taking a bit of strain. I got there in early afternoon and was billeted in an overflow house all by myself. Contemplating a shower/fixing my bike, this guy just walked in the door.

"can i fix your bike up at all?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SKkjZD3LtCI/AAAAAAAABOY/m2Ssjf6bpBU/s400/IMG_1884+(Large).JPG

It was Johan.

He took my creaky pedals apart, and repacked the bearings with his special recipe of karoo grease. It got me home no problems

What followed from then was the occasional banter, normally around June but whenever it suited. I don't know him much beyond bikes and freedom challenge, but I know enough about that he was just a proper oke.

I did some renewables work in the karoo, and managed to tag on the weekend before in prince albert and make a family trip of it. We had such a great time that later that week we pulled into prince albert from the N1 just to say hello to all the characters that convalesce at this time. The timing was fortunate enough that in the two hours we were there, Martin and Jeannie Dreyer came steaming through on their "honeymoon ride". Johan and Lehana were planning a mission of sorts. There was some land access issues on the route and lawyers had been involved, it was decided that they would go through when the first riders crossed the property just incase there might be some negotiations required. They asked if I wanted to join, my wife and daughter could hang around at the guesthouse if it took long (they were being very economical with the truth, it was going to be a long night!). After a week of living out the car and dusty solar sites my wife was keen for her own bed rather and we headed back to cape town.

That is how close I came to being a part of the battle of Ketoorskop.

I think the last time I physically saw him would have been at one of the freedom Challenge dinners when he was the RD. Man that guy had a heart the size of a karoo plain. He will be missed by many. My next ride will have to involve a singlespeed, some dirt and a decent coffee.

Shocked and saddened.

I'll post a tribute in a bit.

For now this picture, if you look closely, sums up a lot about a real gentleman.

funnily enough, for a bike guy his car also sprung first to mind.

he was a wonderful keyboard basher too

http://fiforiders.blogspot.com/2009/05/second-prince-albert-dikwiel-kommando.html

and who could forget Dino and the alaskan wolf

http://fiforiders.blogspot.com/2012/07/dino-and-alaskan-wolf.html

Do they have stone saddles in heaven?