Johann Rissik RIP

Prince Albert Cycles

Johann , passionate about bicycles (TRUE), Freedom Challenge finisher (YES, TRUE), fixer of bicycles , friend of anyone on a bicycle (VERY TRUE) , always willing to help (TOTALLY TRUE), to give advice on bicycles , routes(ABSOLUTELY TRUE) , fond of bucking the popular trend (SURE AS ALL HELL TRUE) passed away yesterday in Madeira . Heart attack .

Prince Albert will miss you Johann .

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Fisher (Freedom Challenge Race Director):

RIP Johann Rissik it is with immense sadness we say goodbye to a legend of the trail.

Johann Rissik aka Prins Albert Angel, died of a heart attack yesterday in Madeira. He helped so many people on the trail, whether it was with a cup of coffee at the end of a long day into raging headwinds or staying up late at night to fix bikes for riders in Prince Albert. 

Johann completed RASA in 2015 and also took charge as race director in 2016. He was a true legend of the trail and will be sorely missed! Our sincerest Condolences to his family.

Please share your wonderful memories of Johann with us.

“RIP Johann. What great man.” @raysephton 

“terrible news. Freedom Challenge angel, Veld Kornet, you will be missed mate.” @martin.dreyer29           

“Such passion for the trail and it’s participants!! ” mandy joyce.   

“I can't believe the trail angel is gone. He was a buddy from 'varsity and connecting with him over the Freedom Trail was magical. Johann - I'll always remember your kindness.” Fiona Coward.                                           

“ his kindness and generosity was overwhelming. He will be sorely missed on the trail!” Chris Fisher   

“Heart breaking news. Shocked. Such a kind human. Will be missed.” Carl Scholtz.                   “Very sad news. He provided us with comfort, coffee, donuts, rusks and coffee on the bonnet or boot of his merc during Trans Africa, Freedom Challenge and opened his home to us in Prince Albert. Such sad news! Unique person! Very charitable and his love for nature and cycling is a huge loss!” Colin Anderson.

“He made Jane and I the best coffee after slogging to the top of a wet Swaershoek.” Gavin Horton.           

“Terrible news. He was a wonderful person” @gerrit_pretorius 

“Oh my word. That is devastating and shocking news. I will miss him terribly. What a kind and helpful man. The bike whisperer . A man of honor znd integrity. Sincere condolences to his family. RIP Johann” @ingrid_in_adventureland 

Edited by cfish50

Never met him in person but over the years he became one of my favourtite guys on Bikehub, truly a scholar and a gentleman, going to miss you buddy. Hard not to shed tear sitting here in front on my computer  :(

RIP Johan and condolences to his friends and family.

Edited by Skylark