Cyclist Needing Funding

Clint101

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not the only 1 I am well sure of this, but I can say I get weekly requests for free coaching with the promise the child being the next Alan Hatherly or Chris Froome and everything in-between and then athletes wanting same service. 

While I do coach some people for free, its based on a few factors I look at and its not wether they are the next rider above. What does get to me is that often when you do provide that service, 9/10 of them simply **** around and dont follow it - even my 80% rule - yet are all over the phone complaining. The other element comes in which is very common is that when they do good at a race, its all them, me me, i i. If they do bad its all my fault. I dont need to be spread over SM, its the opposite actually but there is a limit.

End of season comes and you get no to nothing in way of thanks, even a tube as a gift.

This unfortunately is a common thing wether a athlete will tell you differently when asking. This alone chases me away from freebies.

Example: Sponsored an athlete, he got injured and sorted Dr's asap for him and so forth. MRI done and all that. He sent me the invoice to be paid. R14k. Said it was part of my sponsorship to coach him. Well that ended right there. This is a extreme case but similar pattern.

I could write a book on stuff like this that I have been party to. 

Athletes need to be accountable, so much to say that when Willie approached me for coaching back then we came to an agreement and I made him pay me monthly. We joke to this day that its the reason I will retire early ( my cellphone bill is more monthly) but he was accountable and so was I to make sure he did what I prescribed and I did my job professionally. 

Nothing wrong asking for help, we all do it and thats often how athletes get ahead but there are ways of doing it and then there are the right ways of handling once you have it.

To the OP, A million Rand credit card for 2019 wont get you to the Pro Tour unfortunately for 2020.

My 2c.

I'm just here to steal all the wisdom you're sharing, so from a someone not being trained by you, a big thank you :thumbup:

While I am not the only 1 I am well sure of this, but I can say I get weekly requests for free coaching with the promise the child being the next Alan Hatherly or Chris Froome and everything in-between and then athletes wanting same service. 

While I do coach some people for free, its based on a few factors I look at and its not wether they are the next rider above. What does get to me is that often when you do provide that service, 9/10 of them simply **** around and dont follow it - even my 80% rule - yet are all over the phone complaining. The other element comes in which is very common is that when they do good at a race, its all them, me me, i i. If they do bad its all my fault. I dont need to be spread over SM, its the opposite actually but there is a limit.

End of season comes and you get no to nothing in way of thanks, even a tube as a gift.

This unfortunately is a common thing wether a athlete will tell you differently when asking. This alone chases me away from freebies.

Example: Sponsored an athlete, he got injured and sorted Dr's asap for him and so forth. MRI done and all that. He sent me the invoice to be paid. R14k. Said it was part of my sponsorship to coach him. Well that ended right there. This is a extreme case but similar pattern.

Athletes need to be accountable, so much to say that when Willie approached me for coaching back then we came to an agreement and I made him pay me monthly. We joke to this day that its the reason I will retire early ( my cellphone bill is more monthly) but he was accountable and so was I to make sure he did what I prescribed and I did my job professionally. 

Nothing wrong asking for help, we all do it and thats often how athletes get ahead but there are ways of doing it and then there are the right ways of handling once you have it.

To the OP, A million Rand credit card for 2019 wont get you to the Pro Tour unfortunately for 2020.

My 2c.

It is tough hey, I have watched coaches go through this in various sports( MX, Enduro, Cycling Running, worst being equestrian sports) even at the top level that documentary on Villopoto you can see complexity of a relationship with a coach and the difference going from dad coaching to a professional coach. That documentary actually changed how I see training. Learn to love the hurt.

But to go at it at a professional level you do need a coach, even if you are qualified sports scientist you need an external party looking in and guiding.

Omega.

Long story but my mate Karl and I were bringing them in for a while. We sold a few but we drastically overestimated the market. And penetration was tough. Primarily due to Leatt being the go to product as far as neck protection goes.

BTW your insights are great. I love reading your comments.

Yes, I know the brace well and Karl. 

Thx on comments

My 2c.

This is gold. Very well said.

My 2c.

Just out of interest, out of the people that you are currently coaching, how many are following the plans above 80%?

How does it work with Willie? Does he a get a plan from the team and he follows that, or do you tweak it a bit?

Just out of interest, out of the people that you are currently coaching, how many are following the plans above 80%?

How does it work with Willie? Does he a get a plan from the team and he follows that, or do you tweak it a bit?

As it stands about 93% of them. If they not, we need to know why and how we going to correct that going forward.

My 80% rule is a general rule that you need to follow 80% of the prescription. This is mainly applies to non Pros like people who still work jobs, have families etc. There is a thing called life it happens. However, in saying that I have those athletes who would make and a "Pro" look like a joke in terms of focus.

If you cant follow 80% of the program in general you wasting my time and your money and I often change a coaching category or call it off until such time that the athlete can focus and get to it. 

Often when they dont follow they will do the easy sessions like 1.5hr recovery not the key sessions which are important.

My time and your money is important and Im personally not happy or interested to take money and do nothing like a lot of coaches are and let a athlete just do whatever. I want to see you progress and see the results you working hard for. Wether that is Alan winning World Champs or Piet Pompies going from a 5hr to a 4hr Argus. That gives me and you satisfaction of a team work job well done. 

Thats me.

I cant comment on Willie's stuff - please dont take it personally. 

Edited by J Wakefield