• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does doping exist in SA?

Did Zuma orchestrate state capture.?

Same answer to both

So no?

Zuma is not intellegent enough to orchestrate anything, he just partook ;)

What is interesting is that she was only tested because of a whistleblower. Wonder how they knew and wjo that was ????????

What p1sses me off even more than the guys getting caught and serving a ban is the current attitude of certain sponsors in SA.

After said doper has served their ban there seem to be sponsors in SA that have no problem welcoming them back in the fold.

Surely there are enough clean talented cyclist out there to use as the face of your product/business than a previously banned doper.

I for one will NEVER use,buy or support anyone in the cycling trade that sponsors or uses a previously banned doper in their advertising.

Yes they are around currently in road and Mtb.

my 2 C

Jussie that's harsh. so they serve a 2 or 4 year ban as their punishment, but you would rather have them punished for life. What about the next time you get caught speeding, they throw your ass in jail for life, same same

You get caught for breaking the rules, there is a punishment or sanction. When its done its done - we move on.

Jussie that's harsh. so they serve a 2 or 4 year ban as their punishment, but you would rather have them punished for life. What about the next time you get caught speeding, they throw your ass in jail for life, same same

You get caught for breaking the rules, there is a punishment or sanction. When its done its done - we move on.

Doping and winning clean hard working athletes behind you possibly denying them a chance of a career?

Def note same same as speeding unless I hurt/injure/kill someone of course.

Nah I'm also happy if sponsors move on without them completely 

Unless you are getting paid for driving at the speed limit, and it does not negatively effect the person behind you, sure.

But, by your measures, like the government officials getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and still keep on benefitting from their association within the political circles, is accepted. 

....unless they go to prison.....

What p1sses me off even more than the guys getting caught and serving a ban is the current attitude of certain sponsors in SA.

After said doper has served their ban there seem to be sponsors in SA that have no problem welcoming them back in the fold.

Surely there are enough clean talented cyclist out there to use as the face of your product/business than a previously banned doper.

I for one will NEVER use,buy or support anyone in the cycling trade that sponsors or uses a previously banned doper in their advertising.

Yes they are around currently in road and Mtb.

my 2 C

you know that you get a tax rebate for employing a previous convicted felon?

Doping and winning clean hard working athletes behind you possibly denying them a chance of a career?

Def note same same as speeding unless I hurt/injure/kill someone of course.

Nah I'm also happy if sponsors move on without them completely 

Ye i get your point, but if your were speeding it means you got to Pick n Pay before hundreds of others, and they had to stand at the till in longer lines.

Jokes aside though - This whole WADA - SAIDS thing has got totally our of hand in their knee jerk reaction to show they trying to clean up the sport.

You get caught on T or EPO you get 4 year ban - you get caught using an asprin you get 4 year ban all because some medical guy said it will improve your performance by 0.1 second over a 3 hr event. The sentence just doesn't suite the crime.

Ye i get your point, but if your were speeding it means you got to Pick n Pay before hundreds of others, and they had to stand at the till in longer lines.

Jokes aside though - This whole WADA - SAIDS thing has got totally our of hand in their knee jerk reaction to show they trying to clean up the sport.

You get caught on T or EPO you get 4 year ban - you get caught using an asprin you get 4 year ban all because some medical guy said it will improve your performance by 0.1 second over a 3 hr event. The sentence just doesn't suite the crime.

The 'accidental' type convictions usually receive a back dated or very limited ban.

Those caught using PEDS usually get nailed. Even known masking agents often receive limited sanction.

To get a 4 year ban one usually has to be caught cheating properly, appeal, lose the appeal and have an adverse C and D finding OR it's not your 1st offence being caught using a masking agent/PEDS.

There is usually some leniency and fluidity in the severity of the sanction.

My opinion on doping is not widely liked as it involves throwing Impey, a national treasure, under the bus.

Unfortunately, in cases like cycling and doping, the ANC/Guptas and rugby players and assault charges, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Knee jerk .... Huh.. SAIDS don't suck lengths of sentences out of their thumbs there are guidelines.

They got a tip off, she was tested.. She tested positive.. Came up with a BS legal argument.. She was handed the appropriate ban for violation .. What's knee jerk about that.

They get anti doping training, there is an app to check what you can or can not take there is a TUE system etc etc..

She doped got caught and now must live with those consequence.... If she doesn't like it she can go waste her money at the CAS.

I just feel for the many young clean athletes out there who get bypassed.In the end they just end up thinking it doesn’t pay to race clean.

I’ll still stick to my guns.Will never support a business who uses a ex doper as their advertisement.There are more than enough clean cyclist out there they could choose from.

Now lets all wait for all the "I cant believe it" crowd, I thought cycling was now clean!

Interesting drug of choice, weight gain/ mass building being a side effect. Obviously to build up the muscle mass post the injuries.

You are going to wait a while[emoji23]

The 'accidental' type convictions usually receive a back dated or very limited ban.

Those caught using PEDS usually get nailed. Even known masking agents often receive limited sanction.

To get a 4 year ban one usually has to be caught cheating properly, appeal, lose the appeal and have an adverse C and D finding OR it's not your 1st offence being caught using a masking agent/PEDS.

There is usually some leniency and fluidity in the severity of the sanction.

My opinion on doping is not widely liked as it involves throwing Impey, a national treasure, under the bus.

Unfortunately, in cases like cycling and doping, the ANC/Guptas and rugby players and assault charges, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

To @madmarc’s point, does anyone know what she actually took (as in brand name), and what, if any performance benefits it really gave her.

Shame, I feel for her. She has obviously been through one helluva rough time.

Yes the system is flawed in some respects, and under resourced.
But to be fair the sentence is appropriately in line with the offence. And if anyone bothers to actually read up on the process instead of making a kneejerk forum post, they'll see that.
The entire hearing document is also linked through from the press release, which already summarises the details. This alone is a big improvement in the communication clarity from SAIDS/CSA.
In fact the SAIDS site lists all the hearing documentation and minutes for each sporting code sanction.

As far as this particular sanction goes, I really feel for Lynette Burger.
This is a rough one and the effects of a severe head trauma shouldn't be underestimated, the damage is long term even for the rest of a person's life. Your entire personality can undergo a complete change. The human brain isn't like a broken bone.

This doesn't condone the doping violation nor the extremely shaky defence. There must be accountability as a consequence and going by the hearing document much of this was taken into account.

To @madmarc’s point, does anyone know what she actually took (as in brand name), and what, if any performance benefits it really gave her.

Shame, I feel for her. She has obviously been through one helluva rough time.

From the hearing report;

"19-norandrosterone and 19-noreticholanolone [nandrolone]."

Clinical/doping effects;

https://academic.oup.com/clinchem/article/50/2/355/5639637

"Because of its anabolic properties, nandrolone is used among athletes as a doping agent to accelerate muscle growth; to increase lean body mass, strength, and aggressiveness; and to allow faster recovery between athletic performances (4)(5)(6)."

From the hearing report;

"19-norandrosterone and 19-noreticholanolone [nandrolone]."

Clinical/doping effects;

https://academic.oup.com/clinchem/article/50/2/355/5639637

"Because of its anabolic properties, nandrolone is used among athletes as a doping agent to accelerate muscle growth; to increase lean body mass, strength, and aggressiveness; and to allow faster recovery between athletic performances (4)(5)(6)."

Translation - she was not messing around

Injections hey?