Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Hi Guys

Would anyone know if the Beta that gets applied for the CTCT is always close to 1 as its used as a base race for all other races, or can it vary according to conditions?

Trying to work out new seeding here in advance :thumbup:

Thank you!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded the data as is from Racetec earlier, here's a teaser while the data is cleaned.

attachicon.gifCTCT2020 draft 1.JPG

Guess which year is 2018/19/20?

The data is normalised as there were about 4k less finishers in 2020 (at least, as Racetec stands now).

I finished in 3.44 from 3G, after almost abandoning road cycling forever post-2018 CTCT, I'm glad my company gave us all an entry this year :)

Okay I will have a go...

Blue = 2018

Orange = 2019

Grey = 2020

Had a very lekker day on my Cannondale Scalpel. Aimed for sub 5 (2019 was my first one and did 5:08). When I got to Chappies I was feeling good and decided to have a go and see what I could do. Ended up across the finish line in 3:48. Pleasantly suprised! I will try and better my time next year.

Saw one crash right in front of me. Guy and lady went down with 1km to go. Hope they both okay. They just touched shoulders and went down. No bottle coming out or flat or anything in the road. Just too close to each other.

Did anyone else see the big baboon cruising like an e-bike rider with a new battery in the middle of the road on Smits ?

And no, I am not Jack Sparrow's sister Penny.

Fortunately it was on the steep section near the top where the at the pace drops off and he was making for a dropped banana. Got there just before him as I am sure he would have grabbed it and bolted to the side of the road. The shouts behind me sounded like he was not holding a safe line once he got to it.

Did anyone else see the big baboon cruising like an e-bike rider with a new battery in the middle of the road on Smits ?

Fortunately it was on the steep section near the top where the at the pace drops off and he was making for a dropped banana. Got there just before him as I am sure he would have grabbed it and bolted to the side of the road. The shouts behind me sounded like he was not holding a safe line once he got to it.

Remember the 'old days' when you used to see them sucking the juice out of discarded power-gel wrappers ?

Perhaps they still do...

Like the way the road shoulder had been fixed/swept around Smits.Wish the Council had done something about the Masi entrance.Embarasing for peeps manning the waterpoint to have all the rubbish lying around.Lots of tourists also use this route

Not sure if you noticed but he had a collar on - The friend I rode with has a place in Smitswinkel and says that baboon will cruise into a house, no aggression and take food he prefers.  He was eating a gel when I went past.  In fact he barely moved as about 30 of us engulfed him.  

In retrospect pretty lucky there wasn't a crash because of him

Hi Guys

Would anyone know if the Beta that gets applied for the CTCT is always close to 1 as its used as a base race for all other races, or can it vary according to conditions?

Trying to work out new seeding here in advance :thumbup:

Thank you!

Beta always 1, but might show different until they update the source base event, normally happens bit later only..  That why 2019 seeding was so wacked, 2019 ctct massive difference in first group to second so skewed everything 

Edited by Karman de Lange

Mature male with a gimp right hand, radio collar and zero F’s given - cruises out the undergrowth almost into my front wheel on Smit’s- didn’t even flinch and headed down the Centre of the road like a boss! Edited by geomark

That was seriously scary Nutty, I rode 1B...we were all really confused as we came to a halt until we saw you on the floor...got a massively dark feeling as we went on but relieved to hear you are still going and all the best with the recovery! 

I don't think the 1 min batch gaps effected your incident but there were definitely quite a number in our journey...I hope they give it at least 3mins next year otherwise I will be fun riding at the back on knobblies!

Thanks. Have a broken collarbone and facial injuries. Also a cracked skull. Plastic surgery tomorrow to fix the face.

Edited by Al Allen

Like the way the road shoulder had been fixed/swept around Smits.Wish the Council had done something about the Masi entrance.Embarasing for peeps manning the waterpoint to have all the rubbish lying around.Lots of tourists also use this route

Great to see the number of Masi locals supporting the race when I went past.

Does anyone know if there's a cycling initiative underway in Masi?