Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Sure sign that you are either a Land Rover owner or a potential Land Rover owner*… :-)

*Well, in the old days anyway when Land Rovers were still...ummm... Land Rovers.

Aaahhhh ..... that explains it ....

I have the Haynes manuals for various vehicles I have owned.

Pdf manuals for various motorcycles ....

And it all started with a Leyland .... not the Landy, but a Mini ....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually what cyanoacrylate was invented for, and IMO the only thing it's good at...

I've read that too :)

As a glue it's ok, but often brittle and often not the best for the job. It does have an interesting use in forensics, for 'fingerprint fuming'.

Totally newbie question: what does “LBS” stand for?? Tried to figure it out: Low Budget “Something” ..???

LBS = Local Bike Shop

Let's Buy Something

Local

Bottle

Store

I usually fix the bike shops' mistakes. Not the other way around, but then again I'm not one of those mechanically challenged folk in the Verimark adverts.

Yip me to I find I have to Fix the mess after paying so much money ...!

No matter I feel I take good care of my bike and sometimes get my bike back with the odd scratch. I only know of two places I trust my bike one in pe and private chap in jhb. It stops there.

It's actually what cyanoacrylate was invented for, and IMO the only thing it's good at...

Off-topic FIY: it is also very capable in stiffening up some 3D printed parts, especially on the cheaper FDM type printers

Actually, in the interest of derailling the thread:

Note: It should be noted here that while Super Glue was originally invented by accident thanks to WWII, it was not, as a popular urban legend tells, accidentally discovered by soldiers in WWII who then subsequently began using it to seal up battle wounds.  Rather, it was discovered as described above and didn’t hit the public market until well after WWII had ended.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/08/super-glue-was-invented-by-accident-twice/

(Interestingly though, according to its creator, Dr. Harry Coover, Super Glue actually was used  in the Vietnam War to help close up wounds on soldiers while they were being transported to hospitals to then receive stitches.  Today, a form of cyanoacrylate is often used in place of or in conjunction with traditional sutures.)

So, it is used for closing wounds, but your thoughts on that being it's provenance are incorrect

doctors will cringe because supposedly the medical grade stuff is way more betterer than the ones you buy from the filling station store in sheets lol.

Last year i was reaching for something on these galvanised steel shelves everybody has in their garages and slipped in the process of removing the item . In the action of slipping and pulling my hand out of the general shelf area....i catch the top of my finger on one of the inside edges and basically scoop/peel out a smiley face into the top of my index finger.

Nice and deep...you know those that don't start bleeding immediately so you have time realise that what you just did was pretty dumb. And then after you drop the P-bomb  a few times it starts gushing profusely. It hindsight it really needed stitches but i was busy...so i glued it with some Bostic from the fridge and wrapped it in masking tape  and tissue paper haha

Off-topic FIY: it is also very capable in stiffening up some 3D printed parts, especially on the cheaper FDM type printers

I learned yesterday that it's also one of the ingredients in 2K paint.

Actually, in the interest of derailling the thread:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/08/super-glue-was-invented-by-accident-twice/

So, it is used for closing wounds, but your thoughts on that being it's provenance are incorrect

Interesting, I was under the impression it was invented as a field dressing. Thanks for the correction.

I use tons of CA but not for what most people would use it for.

Its pretty much like plastic when it dries so I use it as a finish for pens that I turn.

Once its sanded and polished with buffing compound it comes out looking like glass.

I use tons of CA but not for what most people would use it for.

Its pretty much like plastic when it dries so I use it as a finish for pens that I turn.

Once its sanded and polished with buffing compound it comes out looking like glass.

yeah, it's a great finish on small turned things. i use it for fixing cracks in things i'm turning, with a spot of activator it's great. Wish i could buy it by the litre

Local

Bottle

Store

The LBS you head to to feel better after breaking something on your bike. LOL

doctors will cringe because supposedly the medical grade stuff is way more betterer than the ones you buy from the filling station store in sheets lol.

Last year i was reaching for something on these galvanised steel shelves everybody has in their garages and slipped in the process of removing the item . In the action of slipping and pulling my hand out of the general shelf area....i catch the top of my finger on one of the inside edges and basically scoop/peel out a smiley face into the top of my index finger.

Nice and deep...you know those that don't start bleeding immediately so you have time realise that what you just did was pretty dumb. And then after you drop the P-bomb  a few times it starts gushing profusely. It hindsight it really needed stitches but i was busy...so i glued it with some Bostic from the fridge and wrapped it in masking tape  and tissue paper haha

We get product from Wurth in our workshop. I was given a tube of superglue a while back, that stuff makes what you can buy in the shops look like water. Best super glue I ever used.

On the closing wounds.

Similar kind of story to yours, was doing some work on our gate, stupid slip of the angle grinder and the grinding wheel hit my knuckle. Took a piece of the glove and the skin and flesh with it.

Cleaned it up, put a plater on and it was still dripping blood.

So cleaned it up again, super glued it closed and plaster over that.

Like yours I probably should have had stitches.

I may have stripped the threads on a crank (for the pinch bolt) due to sharing a PM between two bikes for the last 4.5 years. One of the pinch bolds no longer turns to the correct torque.

Will see if I can clean and retap that thread, before deciding what to do.