Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

I know a guy who got a 90k bike secondhand for 50k

If you have the 500K or equivalent for a bike.

For me it just seems that bikes have ratcheted up in price at an almost unbelievable rate (along with other items to be fair) but when I was say a teenager a fair while ago I could save and get a relatively new bike towards the higher end. Now the higher end seems way out of reach.

But it also seems as though R10 - R15K can still get decent bang for buck.

Which makes me wonder some more who would be buying 2nd hand at say R60 to R70K...

Some mid-week musings.

I know a guy who bought a 90k bike for 50k secondhand.  I'm not sure what bike it is, but he made sure I knew how much he paid and how much the bike is worth.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Status is a big deal to some folks.

To me I like to look at things slightly differently: If he has the Tom to get himself a super car then that's great and I will gladly move over when he approaches from behind on the highway or where ever our paths cross. But, with that being said, it's completely different out on the trails or open road and we're both on a bike. 

It doesn't matter what the price tag was of his bike, if he doesn't have the talent to back up the "far superior" components, I'm going to let him pay with my "cheap ride" without him having to take out his wallet  :whistling: :clap:  

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Nothing worse than riding a 100k MTB and then being repeatedly overtaken by a gang of okes riding Makro Specials.

Nothing warrants paying 100k for a MTB to be used purely for recreational purposes.

If you r a champion riding Le Tour then Maybe ?

Nothing worse than riding a 100k MTB and then being repeatedly overtaken by a gang of okes riding Makro Specials.

Nothing warrants paying 100k for a MTB to be used purely for recreational purposes.

Why? If someone likes the sport, and likes doing it recreationally, and has the cash, who are you to say that he can't, or shouldn't? 

Plus - suspension and wheels on top end bikes are often far superior to those on 50k bikes. More adjustability, better damping, stiffer &* lighter wheelsets etc. Won't necessarily make you a better rider, but may result in a better ride, if set up properly. And yes, plenty people can tell the diff between a Lyrik RC and an R2C, or a Fox Grip and Grip 2. Not to mention aly vs carbon wheels. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I drive a 10 year old paid for Toyota Yaris, live in a modest 2 bed simplex and ride a +. 120K MTB.

Why?

Believe me it's not to look cool or for a status thing like some have said and it's definitely not because I'm anything close to an elite rider. Are all M3 drivers elite touring car racers?

I do it because I love bikes.

I started on a Makro special and have worked my way up from there to the bike I ride now. I ride it for me and nobody else.

And no it's not financed.

Oh and not to sound arrogant, but no I'm not going to apologise for working hard and being able to afford nice bikes with the reward it brings.

Edited by Markellis

Why would you want to ride a 100k MTB when doing Le Tour?  Last time I checked it was still a road race.

Are all M3 drivers elite touring car racers?

Most seem to think they are when they get behind the wheel[emoji1787]

Correction but your R120 bike has devalued and is probably only worth R90k [emoji6][emoji41]

If you worked hard for your money and can afford a 100k mtb and it gives you joy and makes you ride more , then why not ?

It’s interesting to me how the negative feelings are always one way - guys hating on the oke with the nice bike. I have yet to hear anyone with a nice bike making a negative comment towards a guy riding an entry level bike ( even if he gets beaten by that guy ) .

Suppose jealousy does make you nasty ?!

Doesn't matter....my cousin who works on an oil rig got it for me for my birthday.

that bike sounds mint

I don't think it's about performance gains. If you own a 30 bar house in Camps Bay and your daily driver is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Why would you ride a 30k Giant TCR?

If you owned a R30 bar house in Camps Bay. Why would you drive a Porsche Cayenne