Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see them as a source of bikes for the rest of us.

It reminds me of a few years ago when kitesurfing came onto the scene and as students we could not afford 12k on a new kite. We were living on 60k a year bursary.

Fortunately, some wealthy wine farm owner bought the full range, got dragged down the beach a few times and then sold the whole lot at 5k a kite and just threw in boards, harnesses etc to make them go away.

I think it is wonderful that some folks feel obliged to buy a 100k bike, ride it a few times and then sell it to us for 60k

It's because I drive a Yaris...any ego my bike inflates is immediately canceled out by the Yaris :)

as of 2018 the Yaris has proper racing pedigree (WRC champions)

so don't feel too ashamed about your now pocket rocket lol.

ps. I don't even own a car.  

I see them as a source of bikes for the rest of us.

It reminds me of a few years ago when kitesurfing came onto the scene and as students we could not afford 12k on a new kite. We were living on 60k a year bursary.

Fortunately, some wealthy wine farm owner bought the full range, got dragged down the beach a few times and then sold the whole lot at 5k a kite and just threw in boards, harnesses etc to make them go away.

I think it is wonderful that some folks feel obliged to buy a 100k bike, ride it a few times and then sell it to us for 60k

Exactly why spend 60k on a new bike when you can get a 100k bike that probably has a few extras and upgrades for the same price.

Feel sorry for the guys who bought the "superbike" brand new off the shelf and are now trying to sell it..........

Don't. You don't know what they're buying next.

Feel sorry for the guys who bought the "superbike" brand new off the shelf and are now trying to sell it..........

some people buy new bikes each year, just to have the newest version. You used to see it all the time with Spaz Epics, just being used for a year and then being sold directly after the epic has finished. Same as with CTCT and road bikes... It's their choice, their money. If you have 40k to lose on a bike, why the hell not. Sometimes that's a small price to pay for what you want.  

I feel more sorry for any cyclist who buys a brand new bike and the next day sees a press release where his new bike / model has been replaced with the newest greatest geometry and suspension design .....

some people buy new bikes each year, just to have the newest version. You used to see it all the time with Spaz Epics, just being used for a year and then being sold directly after the epic has finished. Same as with CTCT and road bikes... It's their choice, their money. If you have 40k to lose on a bike, why the hell not. Sometimes that's a small price to pay for what you want.  

I feel more sorry for any cyclist who buys a brand new bike and the next day sees a press release where his new bike / model has been replaced with the newest greatest geometry and suspension design .....

Same boat, can't sell my bike unless I take a massive knock!!!

New version does have nice updates but in the greater scheme of things it is not a deal breaker.

I still love my bike, so no reason to sell unless Mondraker arrives in the country that is.......

All these comments...........well.....almost 99% of them.........based on capital value and asset value etc. etc.

I don't buy a bike to try and think "boy.....I am going to make a loss on this.....or.....this is a good investment......"
No.

I buy the bike because I love the brand, the look, the color, shape, characteristics etc. and I know that each time I am going to throw my leg over it, I will smile and enjoy the super machine that it is.  
Those smiles....memories....photos....places I saw.....sunrises....sunsets......cannot be bought or compared with money or asset value or investment value or returns when you will eventually sell it.

I will always make a financial loss when I sell my old bike......but it won't matter.  Because what I got in return is more valuable than money.  

But that's just me. 

I had nice carbon fuji that I rode for a few years. I was happy with it and after a crash it is time for a superbike. Bought a new cervelo and thought, now my bike is finally worth the A bunch.

My first race I was dropped by a guy on a 20 year old steel bike.

That was the last time I chased upgrades.

1kg difference on a bike would not make you a better rider.

I drive a 10 year old paid for Toyota Yaris, live in a modest 2 bed simplex and ride a +. 120K MTB.

Why?

Believe me it's not to look cool or for a status thing like some have said and it's definitely not because I'm anything close to an elite rider. Are all M3 drivers elite touring car racers?

I do it because I love bikes.

I started on a Makro special and have worked my way up from there to the bike I ride now. I ride it for me and nobody else.

And no it's not financed.

Oh and not to sound arrogant, but no I'm not going to apologise for working hard and being able to afford nice bikes with the reward it brings.

Rule #25 on point.

https://www.velominati.com/

Ja eish - that's a special kind of eina that !!