The toolbox thread

100Tours

Arrived to collect my saw. Turns out their online stock level was wrong, so they only had the 210 in stock. Bought it. Nice piece of kit. Thanks for the recommendation.

246bcd24a0839d3b11b348c5f6266a54.jpg

Are these available in RSA ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I slipped even further down the Makita rabbit hole and purchased a battery-powered mower kit yesterday.

Makita DLM460 Brushless 36V (18V x2) mower + 2x 3.0Ah batteries + Dual Rapid Charger

a.png

This may seem foolish as just a couple of months ago I bought the AEG equivalent under attempt at a "free lawnmower upgrade" scheme. ie. Buy combo kit. Keep mower .Sell everything else including old mower. Walk away with very little out of pocket. Think it cost me $50 in the end.

Anyway, the Makita mower is to try get batteries and charger for "almost free".

Mower kit combo: $599 (on secret squirrel stock clearance)

Mower by itself: $700 regular retail

Batteries by themselves: $220 ($110 each) regular retail

Charger by itself: $250 regular retail

Goal selling price for mower skin: $599 (realistically I'm thinking it may be closer to the $400 mark, but still good value getting 2 batteries and charger for $200)

Sale method: $1 reserve auction on classifieds website

Current leading bit: $5 :lol: (still 1 week to go, 300 ad views and 60 ad "watchers")

So here's hoping the scheme pays off and I get some free/cheap batteries and a charger outta it  :ph34r: :lol:

*all prices in NZD and equiv to approx 1:10 to ZAR

Damn!

AEG in NZ finally released their 18V sub-compact range and I'm seriously tempted!

post-10758-0-17478700-1618458846_thumb.png

Pricing (L-R)

Drill - $199

Cut-off tool - $249

Impact Driver - $229

Impact Wrench - $329

Combo kit (Drill, Impact Driver, Charger, 2x 2Ah batteries, bag - $399

These look like great little portable options!

Need.to.resist.  :ph34r:

Arrived to collect my saw. Turns out their online stock level was wrong, so they only had the 210 in stock. Bought it. Nice piece of kit. Thanks for the recommendation.

246bcd24a0839d3b11b348c5f6266a54.jpg

21m is still plenty long.

Enjoy.

Are these available in RSA ?

Yip, Arbor Supply imports them.

Oooh, that reminds me, I still want/need a Silky Pocket Boy.

Enjoy.

Jus A little steeper pricing than what i expected :D

Enjoy.

Lol - you’ve started me down a dangerous path. Some quality of saw. Was wondering around our current neighbourhood yesterday looking for something to saw. Quite startling how good the silky is.

Anyway, was looking at their website and videos last night and am now trying to think of reasons why I don’t desperately need a katanaboy.

Jus A little steeper pricing than what i expected :D

Ja dis rof. And there are cheaper options.

https://www.strandhardware.co.za/topman-240mm-z-saw-folding-saw-tack-in-rough?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTlH5-25Zc2IrFVtvjUQ7UmH1YiUZ_93QgIQUv7Aj1cp1DI1O_6aQAkaAkrGEALw_wcB

https://www.takealot.com/agricut-folding-pull-saw-180mm/PLID65623750

But we use a couple of other brand's hand saws for work, and if I don't use the silky, I reach for a chainsaw. And no one else may use my Silky on site.

Ja dis rof. And there are cheaper options.

https://www.strandhardware.co.za/topman-240mm-z-saw-folding-saw-tack-in-rough?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTlH5-25Zc2IrFVtvjUQ7UmH1YiUZ_93QgIQUv7Aj1cp1DI1O_6aQAkaAkrGEALw_wcB

https://www.takealot.com/agricut-folding-pull-saw-180mm/PLID65623750

But we use a couple of other brand's hand saws for work, and if I don't use the silky, I reach for a chainsaw. And no one else may use my Silky on site.

Playing with mine it feels like a really quality product, like a leatherman, which many imitate but few match.

Got the little Bosch 27 piece set yester and tossed it into my bag on the way to a site meeting on the bicycle ... then got to use it on the way back to adjust the saddle angle that was just not right.

Till you use a ratchet like this you do not realise how much easier it makes life on hard to reach areas.

Got the little Bosch 27 piece set yester and tossed it into my bag on the way to a site meeting on the bicycle ... then got to use it on the way back to adjust the saddle angle that was just not right.

Till you use a ratchet like this you do not realise how much easier it makes life on hard to reach areas.

Gonna suggest to the wife that she can get me this set for our anniversary...  :clap:

Agreed I have a Blackburn Switch Wrap toolset that lives on my bike, and I don't think I'll ever go back to one of those folding multitools with the short Allen keys.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/switch-wrap-bicycle-tool-kit/

I use the metabo kit almost exclusively when working on the bike now, swapping it out for the torque wrench for that final torqueing.

The convenience of the small size is brilliant.

Agreed I have a Blackburn Switch Wrap toolset that lives on my bike, and I don't think I'll ever go back to one of those folding multitools with the short Allen keys.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/switch-wrap-bicycle-tool-kit/

My chain breaker failed on a 12 speed chain.

Nothing a file can't fix to file down the pin that pushes out the pins.

Obviously I learnt this the hard. Doubt I'll get a replacement, but it be paired with most other chain breakers.

I use the metabo kit almost exclusively when working on the bike now, swapping it out for the torque wrench for that final torqueing.

The convenience of the small size is brilliant.

With this small handle on the Bosch tool I do not think one could really over torque anything ... but then again you will get someone that slaps on a 2m pipe to gain leverage  :w00t:  and will torque the heebie geebies out of it

With this small handle on the Bosch tool I do not think one could really over torque anything ... but then again you will get someone that slaps on a 2m pipe to gain leverage  :w00t:  and will torque the heebie geebies out of it

Metabo also has small handle, I found if I put some effort in the bolts are just shy of 5nm according to my torque wrench. Attaching the torque wrench the bolt moves just a smidgen (that the technical term there, i looked it up promise) before it clicks for 5nm