Will you repair this?

Mopkop

GOEIE @#@%$@ amper se ek iets wat my geban sal laat word... R1100 inspection fee  :eek: No wonder my bank balance looks so K@K.... 

For what its worth though glad you got sorted in the end mate  :thumbup: and always happy to give advice when and where i can, have never made any secret about that  :w00t: Remember to post the new ride ne :drool: En moenie weer neer bliksem nie  :rolleyes:

R1100 inspection fee....and yet my doctor who studied for 5 or 6 years charges R450 for a consultation...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you be changing insurer?

So I've signed the acceptance of loss and they're paying to replace the bike. Then I get a call to say that they won't be paying the money to me until I pay the R1100 inspection fee to the carbon repairer. I was totally unaware of any inspection fees until today.

I paid it as im gatvol of this whole process now already FFS. Im so glad its done!!!

Thank you Anton and Graeme for sharing some industry information, I'm sure I'm not the only one who learnt something from this thread!

Has anyone considered ethics here? Maybe the the carbon repairer in question was approached by the insurance company and asked the following question: 

'Can this frame be repaired in a manner that is safe and sound?'

I am sure no insurance company will ask a repairer what is best for their client, only whether something can be done. A repairer who lies outright to the insurance just for the financial benefit of the insurance company's client is unethical, and somebody I personally would not want to deal with. From everything said by Bogus and Carbon Ninja, it appears the frame can be repaired in a manner that is safe and sound, so then the carbon repairer in question has answered the insurance company ethically.

Whether the approach taken by the insurance company is correct is another question. Kudos to Carbon Ninja and Bogus for their feedback.

Another point - surely insurance covers other failures on the frame. So if the manufacturer's warranty is voided due to the repairs, and subsequent replacement/expenditure on the frame is required, this becomes the said insurance company's problem. So they could potentially be setting themselves up for some further costs down the line. But as a consumer, you are still covered.

That’s madness did you ask the repairer for an inspection NO

You have done what insurer asked to do get LBS opinion and quotes

Their assessor went to said repairer, so my guess that the assessors fee and repairer.

Ek sou hulle behoorlik opgf@k het

So I've signed the acceptance of loss and they're paying to replace the bike. Then I get a call to say that they won't be paying the money to me until I pay the R1100 inspection fee to the carbon repairer. I was totally unaware of any inspection fees until today.

I paid it as im gatvol of this whole process now already FFS. Im so glad its done!!!

Thank you Anton and Graeme for sharing some industry information, I'm sure I'm not the only one who learnt something from this thread!

That’s madness did you ask the repairer for an inspection NO

You have done what insurer asked to do get LBS opinion and quotes

Their assessor went to said repairer, so my guess that the assessors fee and repairer.

Ek sou hulle behoorlik opgf@k het

My point exactly. But after almost 4 weeks of no riding I just wanted to get onto a damn bike!

So, had a massive off yesterday on my bike whilst doing a super handsfree clipless aero tuck, thankfully I am insured,

Insurance company says the bike will be good as new in a few days.

They did manage to recover this bit at the scene of the off.

post-39840-0-29899000-1574998621_thumb.jpeg

so heres a thing. If your crash you're car, in order for warranty to be maintained it needs to be repaired by an OEM approved panel shop. Knowing someone in the panel industry I know they have some high standards they need to adhere to in order to keep that OEM approved certification.

i can comment about other manufacturers, but I know with our cars if you have had it repaired, even at an OEM panel shop, it still needs to go to an OEM workshop for all sensors and safety equipment to be checked and or calibrated.

bearing the above in mind, and echoing certain sentiments in this thread, it would be prudent for bicycle repair places to also adhere to certain OEM agreed standards. The entire frame of a bike can be considered a safety critical item.

Interesting point. I chatted to LOOK about repairs to their frames and they  had an interesting take on it.

Depending on the severity and location of the frame failure they could consider the frame to no longer conform the UCI and EN standard it needs to meet. Warranty and liability gone. Id suggest the OP get in touch with Chapter2 and ask their opinion on whether they would consider the repair to the head tube to be a safe option

Interesting point. I chatted to LOOK about repairs to their frames and they  had an interesting take on it.

Depending on the severity and location of the frame failure they could consider the frame to no longer conform the UCI and EN standard it needs to meet. Warranty and liability gone. Id suggest the OP get in touch with Chapter2 and ask their opinion on whether they would consider the repair to the head tube to be a safe option

this is why i've been asking (carbon ninja as a relevant point of contact), if he has subjected a repaired frame to stress testing. Someone here on this forum read that he tested layup samples which returned a good result, but then made the assumption that that success automatically translates to repairs. This is rarely the case in industry, hence some form of validation for the repair methodology is required on repaired bicycle components, especially those that are critical structural elements.

Repair validation testing should form part of the industry standard, so that if a repairer works to that standard that has been PROVEN to result in good test results, then i'd be happy to accept a repair over a replacement, even if the warranty no longer applies.

Edited by Capricorn

I have been following this from the start .

Firstly , glad the OP is finally getting back to riding .

Secondly , thanks to BogusOne and Carbon Ninja for some very enlightening info regards carbon repairs .

Seems like the 2 of you really know your story .

You've motivated me to look again at getting personal liability cover. 

Why not offer a test service? 115kph down fields hill in friday traffic?

Yes - it's friday :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Why not offer a test service? 115kph down fields hill in friday traffic?

Yes - it's friday :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Vman12 did you do 115km/h down Fields Hill  ????

BIG KUHUNA'S if you did ....

R1100 inspection fee....and yet my doctor who studied for 5 or 6 years charges R450 for a consultation...

Must have been 5......

These days to be certified to practice you need a 6 year degree, plus 1 year internship and 2 years of public service practice - only then can you start..... if you want to specialize - add another 4 years minimum.... and in that 4 years, you can expect to be at the hospital for between 80 and 110 hours a week.

Vman12 did you do 115km/h down Fields Hill  ????

BIG KUHUNA'S if you did ....

I have done 108 down Kliprivier drive before - not something I enjoyed at all....

It's a pity people have flagged many of the downhill segments on Northcliff as unsafe - not that they are safe.

Must have been 5......

These days to be certified to practice you need a 6 year degree, plus 1 year internship and 2 years of public service practice - only then can you start..... if you want to specialize - add another 4 years minimum.... and in that 4 years, you can expect to be at the hospital for between 80 and 110 hours a week.

Please man ... a quick Google search and you can solve all your typical issues a normal GP could have done, and usually at no cost either.....then a quick on-line homeopathetic (This should be the correct spelling) remedy and all is good in the hood!

Has anyone considered ethics here? Maybe the the carbon repairer in question was approached by the insurance company and asked the following question: 

'Can this frame be repaired in a manner that is safe and sound?'

I am sure no insurance company will ask a repairer what is best for their client, only whether something can be done. A repairer who lies outright to the insurance just for the financial benefit of the insurance company's client is unethical, and somebody I personally would not want to deal with. From everything said by Bogus and Carbon Ninja, it appears the frame can be repaired in a manner that is safe and sound, so then the carbon repairer in question has answered the insurance company ethically.

Whether the approach taken by the insurance company is correct is another question. Kudos to Carbon Ninja and Bogus for their feedback.

Another point - surely insurance covers other failures on the frame. So if the manufacturer's warranty is voided due to the repairs, and subsequent replacement/expenditure on the frame is required, this becomes the said insurance company's problem. So they could potentially be setting themselves up for some further costs down the line. But as a consumer, you are still covered.

If another point of the frame fails in normal riding, ie no accidental damage, the insurance co won't be having any of it....

Please man ... a quick Google search and you can solve all your typical issues a normal GP could have done, and usually at no cost either.....then a quick on-line homeopathetic (This should be the correct spelling) remedy and all is good in the hood!

Treatment is always better than cure....