Will you repair this?

Mopkop

Is the topic title a rhetorical question?!

Insurance is getting to a point where it is STUPID to have it.

At R1000 a month I have now safely repair it myself and just replace anything that gets damaged should I crash.

The decision is getting easier by the day.

I suspect this is the direct result of bikes getting stupid expensive and stolen/broken often enough for the actuaries to have adjusted the logarithms. So if any of you oout there have submitted a dubious claim and got away with it, thanks a lot.

Edited by Shebeen

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent them 2 reports and 2 replacement quotes from 2 shops. They then sent out an assessor who took the bike to a 3rd store.

Someone at this store informed the assessor that this can be repaired and they got a quote from CBR. This store also gave a replacement quote along with the repair from CBR which they (the store) will be responsible for.

This took about 2 weeks as you cannot buy a Chapter 2 off any shop floor and they needed to do more research.

I am 100% sure that if said store had sold my bike, they would too never of recommended a repair but rather a replacement.

BTW its Santam via PSG

You will find that the shop they took it to they have an MOU or trade agreement with, in terms of cost containment. More and more I find SANTAM becoming "stricter" with claims assessments and its all about minimizing claim payouts. This is a trend I have noticed in many other claim event areas. I will request they offer you a cash settlement offer as well. this will be a good measure of whether it will match the one received from their preferred shop you speak of. Reason I am stating this is that you may find that they will want to pay out less because a markup on the repairs was done through their shop. These issues all can be challenged.

Terms and conditions on most insurance policies reserve them the right to repair instead of replacing. Given the cost of bikes and their ease of damage, the decision to accept a repair instead of replacing saves them money, but isn't exactly how we (the consumer) want it. 

Warranty would be voided by the repair. If it cracks again, it'd be repaired again. 

to be frank: I'd fight that tooth and nail, as it seems like it's a catastrophic damage in high load areas. BUT. I know that the strength of a good carbon repair is often far above that of the standard item. The major thing to bear in mind is that it's still able to be insured for the full value of the new replacement item should there be a total loss due to theft etc. It seems as if the insurers are now using that right to repair far more widely than previously, due to (most likely) higher incidences of fraudulent claims (people breaking frames just to get new ones)

TL;DR. I don't like it, and I'd fight it if I was in that industry, but the insurers are within their rights to request a diagnosis and repair quote from a licensed & experienced repairer, just as they are with cars and other assets you insure. CBR is one of those companies. 

The OP should read the T&C to confirm and once again PSG in this instance should have highlighted this VERY IMPORTANT REPAIR aspect upfront. I believe that you pay for replacement value and you expect replacement value to paid out. Santam can claim the salvage, fix and sell it through the shop (this shop purchases it, which I doubt will happen) they have an agreement with. This is no ordinary claim and hence needs to be challenged with a bit of research.

Having that repaired no problem, will I ever get on it afterwards no way! That's not just a crack that's what I call I.S.M.

It will always be in the back of my mind and I will never look or feel the same way about the bike.

From the Santam horse's mounth: Andre Coutts:“It’s not about paying the claim anymore. It’s about not paying the claim … We have to move to the space where it becomes about [diminishing] the risk.”.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/companies/financial-services/2019-11-19-affordability-pressures-squeeze-sa-insurers-barometer-shows/

They don't have a shortage of money in the marketing budget

https://youtu.be/WUf66rarDBA

https://youtu.be/efaP81KfJkY

From the Santam horse's mounth: Andre Coutts:“It’s not about paying the claim anymore. It’s about not paying the claim … We have to move to the space where it becomes about [diminishing] the risk.”.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/companies/financial-services/2019-11-19-affordability-pressures-squeeze-sa-insurers-barometer-shows/

To be honest, if you read the article, then what he said was not really what your selective quote suggests. More like that the insurer must help the client PREVENT a claim using technology. Smart geysers to tell your smart watch when it is going to burst, as an example. Somewhat like Discovery is doing with their incentives to drive carefully and live healthy. 

To be honest, if you read the article, then what he said was not really what your selective quote suggests. More like that the insurer must help the client PREVENT a claim using technology. Smart geysers to tell your smart watch when it is going to burst, as an example. Somewhat like Discovery is doing with their incentives to drive carefully and live healthy.

Exactly

Bogus is spot on with his comments. Have a friend also with a cracked frame guess what insurance says repair. The guys at Carbon Repair are brilliant. Have seen a frame cracked in 3 pieces and they’ve done a brilliant job repairing it.

Question here is just like a panel beater will offer to repair so will a carbon doctor also want to repair. Loss of income if I say no sorry that a risky job or it will put the cyclist in danger. Insurance company should give you an option that’s what we pay insurance for. To replace or repair.

For a Headtube to crack like that there mist be some damage to either or both steerer and fork. Hairline crack not visible to the eye.

Are they replacing the wheels?

I had a crack on the seatstay of my bike took it to the dealer who said they might repair it, my response i will m**r someone with a p**sklap. Guess what manufacturer replaced it under warranty.

Yes it spoke of using technology but do you honestly think that Santam in this instance is not going to look at the other side of the same coin and not minimize costs there too? What I can assure of is, that if it was another type of claim like theft for example then the OP would have been asked for an invoice and/or a valuation certificate amongst some other requirements. So, like the old saying goes, let the buyer beware, still very much holds in the insurance space.

Bogus is spot on with his comments. Have a friend also with a cracked frame guess what insurance says repair. The guys at Carbon Repair are brilliant. Have seen a frame cracked in 3 pieces and they’ve done a brilliant job repairing it.

Question here is just like a panel beater will offer to repair so will a carbon doctor also want to repair. Loss of income if I say no sorry that a risky job or it will put the cyclist in danger. Insurance company should give you an option that’s what we pay insurance for. To replace or repair.

For a Headtube to crack like that there mist be some damage to either or both steerer and fork. Hairline crack not visible to the eye.

Are they replacing the wheels?

I had a crack on the seatstay of my bike took it to the dealer who said they might repair it, my response i will m**r someone with a p**sklap. Guess what manufacturer replaced it under warranty.

Good on you! If I recall CBR don’t like repairing carbon wheels and will refuse doing so because the tears are generally where the spokes meet the rim making it a weakened spot and will break again. Anyway, I hope the OP updates us going forward.

Yes it spoke of using technology but do you honestly think that Santam in this instance is not going to look at the other side of the same coin and not minimize costs there too? What I can assure of is, that if it was another type of claim like theft for example then the OP would have been asked for an invoice and/or a valuation certificate amongst some other requirements. So, like the old saying goes, let the buyer beware, still very much holds in the insurance space.

True that!

Discovery know jack s**** about fitness and rewarding real athletes, they just want the lazy idiots to get off the couch they don't actually have any intention for people who are fit to gain from it because we already save them money.

I have a sub 18min 5k time, so If I run 5km any day of the week I get no reward at all nothing, 0 points. But if I time walking the dogs cleverly to complete the park 'run' I get 300 points. Running 5km at even a casual 22min pace is far better for my fitness but ya no reward without 30mins heartrate data. 2 weeks back I managed to dip under 30mins for an 8km timetrial even, no reward at all.... 

Run a 100 miler and you get no more points than a marathon because it is too long- it is dangerous for our health.

Do an Ironman you get more points than what you get for a marathon because it is such a long event and you have to be really fit.(direct counter to a 100 miler)

Do a 500km adventure race you get 0 points because they see it as dangerous and to extreme.

Hi everyone

I came off about 3 weeks ago hitting something in the shoulder and waking up off the side of the road.

Bicycle took most of the damage as I only have some scrapes and scratches.

So I've put in an insurance claim but now they want to repair the bicycle. I can use the brake calipers, crank, front derailleur, cassette and chain. The rest of the bike is damaged and both rims are dented or buckled.

I am not comfortable with repairing the frame and I'd like to hear from the rest of you what you'd do

Check the pics

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0026.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0027.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0030.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0033.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0036.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0037.jpg

Top tube is cracked on 2 places and headtube is cracked almost right around. Visually there's no fork damage but I would think that either the steerer or the crown took a beating to be able to crack the headtube the way it did.

Repairer is offering lifetime warranty on the work that they're going to do

repairing that would be your insurer willing placing your life at risk. Let me guess.....Cyclesure?

Well I agree with most of your sentiment. You should still be able to get points for your 18min 5k runs based on speed data from a gps watch. It's only 150 I think, but still better than 0.

Discovery know jack s**** about fitness and rewarding real athletes, they just want the lazy idiots to get off the couch they don't actually have any intention for people who are fit to gain from it because we already save them money.

I have a sub 18min 5k time, so If I run 5km any day of the week I get no reward at all nothing, 0 points. But if I time walking the dogs cleverly to complete the park 'run' I get 300 points. Running 5km at even a casual 22min pace is far better for my fitness but ya no reward without 30mins heartrate data. 2 weeks back I managed to dip under 30mins for an 8km timetrial even, no reward at all.... 

Run a 100 miler and you get no more points than a marathon because it is too long- it is dangerous for our health.

Do an Ironman you get more points than what you get for a marathon because it is such a long event and you have to be really fit.(direct counter to a 100 miler)

Do a 500km adventure race you get 0 points because they see it as dangerous and to extreme.

Insurance is a business, so by all means limit your risks.

Insist on burglar proofing properties etc.

Don't limit your risks by shortchanging your clients.