Will you repair this?

Mopkop

I would also ask for the proposed repair to be reviewed and approved by the frame manufacturer.

If they restore the frame to the condition it was before the crash, the ride quality and stiffness should be the same.

It should also not weigh more than it did before the repair. You bought a high performance, 950 gram frame, Im going to guess the repair and paint will add 100 to 200 grams.

(Edit: there is no way imo that the original manufacturer would approve a repair, that frame is ???? beyond the point where it should be repaired)

Edited by Christie

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the debate here --- that bike is completely foobared - I honestly don't care what any carbon expert says about it - I would not get on a bike that I knew had had that kind of damage and hurtle down the glen or any hill on it.

And the insurance company and the lackeys they employ to do their dirty work would have a very torrid time dealing with a very unpleasant mamil until I won the case.

Don't accept it - use the excellent advice around manufacturer assessment and repairer qualification and if all else fails the ombudsman to win your case. I can't see how you can lose.

I don't get the debate here --- that bike is completely foobared - I honestly don't care what any carbon expert says about it - I would not get on a bike that I knew had had that kind of damage and hurtle down the glen or any hill on it.

And the insurance company and the lackeys they employ to do their dirty work would have a very torrid time dealing with a very unpleasant mamil until I won the case.

Don't accept it - use the excellent advice around manufacturer assessment and repairer qualification and if all else fails the ombudsman to win your case. I can't see how you can lose.

agree with Mamil 100%. Repairing a carbon bike is very different to repairing a car. It's too simple for an insurer to say 'our repair expert says...' and recommend that (cheaper for them) route... one could easily argue that a repairer's increased turnover from increased business from an insurer will incentivise repair proposals - we've seen it in the motor industry with insurer approved panel shops

I also think the carbon repairer might be unbiased as they earn good money from the repair. I recently had an instance where a well known carbon repairer provided one report to me and then changed his tune when the assessor got involved..........An earlier post suggested OP get the insurance co to sign responsibility for any physical injuries from future frame failure...I wonder if the carbon repairer would commit to this under their lifetime warranty?

A BIG elephant in the room is that a lot of brands (I know Trek was one a year ago), will void the warranty if you so much as have some paintwork touched up, so what happens to tha manufacturer warranty on the rest of the frame? I'll answer that, it will be void, there is NO way the manufacturer will still warranty the frame as posted by the OP so how is it possible that they repair and you are restored to the position you were in?

3 years ago my wife was involved in a car accident (not her fault)...insured by OUTsurance...Hows this? The panel beater fits pirate parts (fender etc), I queried this with OUT and they say yip, that's what they specify....I used to race Golfs and we used to fit pirate fenders etc, they are in NO way up to spec, the metal is thinner and the fit isn't great.....Insurance companies are getting worse and worse.Just like a can of Coke...the can gets smaller and thinner, but the price is the same or more.... :mellow:

agree with Mamil 100%. Repairing a carbon bike is very different to repairing a car. It's too simple for an insurer to say 'our repair expert says...' and recommend that (cheaper for them) route... one could easily argue that a repairer's increased turnover from increased business from an insurer will incentivise repair proposals - we've seen it in the motor industry with insurer approved panel shops

So after reading all of this thread...

If a carbon bike is involved in a crash , best to crash it beyond repair. Then insurance can only replace.

So if you crash Hubbers... ...... Crash properly #ForInsurancePurposes

Looking at the damage they want to fix you would basically have to make sure your bike breaks into two and then make sure one half goes missing.

So after reading all of this thread...

If a carbon bike is involved in a crash , best to crash it beyond repair. Then insurance can only replace.

So if you crash Hubbers... ...... Crash properly #ForInsurancePurposes

I would have thought this bike was crashed properly and was beyond repair.  How bad does it have to be before its written off?

Slightly off topic, yet completely on topic!

Baffles the mind that "they" say you can repair that frame, yet the chap with the Spaz frame who's BB was not expoxied into place and the ID of the BB has supposedly ovalised has his carbon repair guys saying they can not repair the BB at all?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/182971-bike-shop-damaged-my-frame-issue-help/page-1

I would send this thread to the broker, hopefully they are wise enough to realise that the community here know enough about bikes to comment

The response here is pretty clear.

I would send this thread to the broker, hopefully they are wise enough to realise that the community here know enough about bikes to comment

The response here is pretty clear.

and then all the sanlam users here see a 25% increase in monthly premiums :)

In my opinion that would be a code 3 repair job. They may be able to glue it together and paint over it neatly but you`d be crazy to risk your life and ride that. Chances are you will sell it on after the repair, will you then declare the full extent of the repair to the prospective buyer, i can almost guarantee that you`ll get virtually nothing for that bike. Tell the insurance to take a running leap and replace with equal or better, it`s not a total loss for them as the other parts from the bike can be used so they must either source an equivalent frame ,even if it`s second hand, but not crash damaged obviously!

moral of the story, if your frame cracks, make sure to snap it in 2 before phoning the insurance.

They can still repair it.

There was a Hubber (cannot remember his name), his frame was in 3 separate pieces. He wasn't insured, so he paid for it to be repaired. Crazy, I know.

Also - if I were insured with this crowd and read this thread I would immediately move insurance to my insurer who are busy replacing my frame which also has a broken top tube but and not as severe as this. Admittedly I had to growl when they wanted to send it on a 10 day review process but they provided good positive service. 

Oakhurst - picked up after they advertised here --- no commissions payable to me.

In my opinion that would be a code 3 repair job. They may be able to glue it together and paint over it neatly but you`d be crazy to risk your life and ride that. Chances are you will sell it on after the repair, will you then declare the full extent of the repair to the prospective buyer, i can almost guarantee that you`ll get virtually nothing for that bike. Tell the insurance to take a running leap and replace with equal or better, it`s not a total loss for them as the other parts from the bike can be used so they must either source an equivalent frame ,even if it`s second hand, but not crash damaged obviously!

I thought the idea behind insurance is that they will make you whole after the event, through replacing or repairing... the bold bit above is not 'whole'...

I thought the idea behind insurance is that they will make you whole after the event, through replacing or repairing... the bold bit above is not 'whole'...

But it is, as you still have the bike.