Will you repair this?

Mopkop

Terms and conditions on most insurance policies reserve them the right to repair instead of replacing. Given the cost of bikes and their ease of damage, the decision to accept a repair instead of replacing saves them money, but isn't exactly how we (the consumer) want it. 

Warranty would be voided by the repair. If it cracks again, it'd be repaired again. 

to be frank: I'd fight that tooth and nail, as it seems like it's a catastrophic damage in high load areas. BUT. I know that the strength of a good carbon repair is often far above that of the standard item. The major thing to bear in mind is that it's still able to be insured for the full value of the new replacement item should there be a total loss due to theft etc. It seems as if the insurers are now using that right to repair far more widely than previously, due to (most likely) higher incidences of fraudulent claims (people breaking frames just to get new ones)

TL;DR. I don't like it, and I'd fight it if I was in that industry, but the insurers are within their rights to request a diagnosis and repair quote from a licensed & experienced repairer, just as they are with cars and other assets you insure. CBR is one of those companies. 

Insurance is getting to a point where it is STUPID to have it.

At R1000 a month I have now safely repair it myself and just replace anything that gets damaged should I crash.

The decision is getting easier by the day.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

****, I just insured all three of my bikes with santam :'(

This is ridiculous, if they ask you to repair that kind of damage, that means they'll never do what you pay them to do, unless the bike is broken in two pieces ?

Edited by Jbr

To be honest that can be repaired BUT i would trust only 3 people to do it... And thats not just a simple lap and pap job either.

If you do not feel comfortable to have it repaired then DONT. You have the right to tell that to your insurance. Also for a head tube to snap like that the steerer tube of the fork is bound to have some damage even if not visible to the naked eye. Think twice before having it repaired mate. As i always say your life is more important than saving or making a couple of bucks.

Dankie Bogus :thumbup:

Fight it on the repair, if you loose, let them fix it, take it out for a ride, pop into the local shop, or leave it on a bike rack unlocked and look to get it stolen. Then claim for a new bike from theft  :ph34r:

I wouldn't even let Bob the Builder try fix that, it's poked.

If the wheel/rim and headset are broken what are the chances the fork is still good to go between them...

Insurance should generally place you in the same position as before an incident.

There is no way I'll be convinced that a repaired carbon frame can be of same value.

Firstly you never paid for a repair insurance but replacement insurance. I am not sure who the insurer is but this option of repair should have been explained upfront in the first instance as well. There is no way I will accept the repair on the frame or wheels for that matter. The should in all fairness replace the frame and if they really persist as a compromise, repair the wheels as a measure of you meeting them half way but my view is that they should replace because that is what the premiums is calculated on. if they wanted to be innovative then they should have offered a repair insurance with reduce premiums. Without sight of the t&c, I am basing my view on what you mentioned. Share more on this as it unfolds.

Insurance Companies usually have a clause in their policies giving them the option of a repair.

Let us assume you lose this fight and let them repair it , but you decide to sell it . As an honest hubber you declare the facts . Who is going to buy it ? So the result is that you are NOT in the same position as you were before the accident .

Insurance companies have a clause in their policies basically stating that they have no responsibility towards future values

Insurance should generally place you in the same position as before an incident.

There is no way I'll be convinced that a repaired carbon frame can be of same value.

Insurers don't care about the value, they will put you back in the position you were before and that was to have a rideable bike. The wording of the policy is structured that way.

Let us assume you lose this fight and let them repair it , but you decide to sell it . As an honest hubber you declare the facts . Who is going to buy it ? So the result is that you are NOT in the same position as you were before the accident .

That's not the angle they take ito putting you in the same position. Theirs is that you have your bike back, albeit repaired. It's still insured against theft, breakage and so on at the normal values. 

Despite my comments above, I agree having a repaired frame is a *** one.

I would fight it as nicely as possible with them.

If it seems as if you are not going to win the fight, ask them for a copy of the repairers accreditation certificate (just like a panel beater must be accredited with the RMI). Also ask for the qualifications of the repairer.

I bet that they can't supply either. Most repairers are self taught and there is no college providing training or accredited apprentiship.

Without these certificates, you will have a good argument to take them to the ombudsman

If it seems as if you are not going to win the fight, ask them for a copy of the repairers accreditation certificate (just like a panel beater must be accredited with the RMI). Also ask for the qualifications of the repairer.

I bet that they can't supply either. Most repairers are self taught and there is no college providing training or accredited apprentiship.

Without these certificates, you will have a good argument to take them to the ombudsman

100 cements

Altough you are spot on regarding accreditation etc just keep in mind that some of us have actually done courses and have been doing it for longer than what most people have been cycling, then there are people like Graeme Kidson who actually has an engineering degree in composites and is one of the people i would trust with something like this if it was mine. So some of us would actually know a thing or two when it comes to the building or repairing of frames etc. But as i said before the OP should not have this repaired if he does not feel comfortable. He as the insured have the right to choose the repairer or opt for a cash pay out should they not be able to replace his frame with the exact same frame so that he can replace it himself.

How about getting a report from the manufacturer? That should carry more weight than anybody elses' opinion. 

Out of curiosity, what would a shop quote on a repair like this, considering multiple cracks and possibly a crack fork steerer? As Bogus said it is not just a simple lap and pap job.