Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our condolences to you and your family.

My sister and our neighbour are on the front line with this in the medical field, couple of friends as well.  One of my sister's staff has contracted it.  At least two of my neighbours staff has contracted it, they are now waiting for the test results from the contacts of the second case, so possibly more in their facility. 

And with a friend in his second week in ICU our view is also "tainted" right now ... this have been the longest 9 days for his family !!

My company is a hygiene and PPE product supplier and my one son and wife are paramedics so being in the front line is something i know very well . We have a very strict protocol for couriers collecting , walk in customers and casual lets see what you sell  type customer . We do all the temp checks , hand wash and even go so far as to spray the customers clothing if they want to walk through our stores . We dont allow them to touch any product that we need to sell on again . We have started doing sanitizing (Fogging ) of offices , warehouse and factories so we sanitize our own warehouse and office every afternoon when we close . Im retired and use to go into the office once a week and not done that since a two weeks before lockdown .   

My company is a hygiene and PPE product supplier and my one son and wife are paramedics so being in the front line is something i know very well . We have a very strict protocol for couriers collecting , walk in customers and casual lets see what you sell type customer . We do all the temp checks , hand wash and even go so far as to spray the customers clothing if they want to walk through our stores . We dont allow them to touch any product that we need to sell on again . We have started doing sanitizing (Fogging ) of offices , warehouse and factories so we sanitize our own warehouse and office every afternoon when we close . Im retired and use to go into the office once a week and not done that since a two weeks before lockdown .

Sorry to go a bit off topic.. how does the fogging work, which products are used when you do the fogging, and is it worth having it done at one's home?

Fair enough, you do you. I’m not saying in a field on you own is a dick move but understand that older people are scared to go to exercise because people can’t be bothered to make the effort how ever misguided they may think it is.

As for the throwing about ER part. There are a lot of people working hard. Your wife included. My brother in law included, unfortunately he died last week in the UK after returning to be an A&E doc at the start of the outbreak. Leaving a 8 week old boy and a 3 year old girl. Maybe my view is tainted by that and my actions really are ‘pointless’ and have no purpose.

And as for cycling being a right. Yeah of course. You’re right.

My deepest condolences

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-05-17-a-10-20-03.p

Pretty happy with this one ! Damn it's cold already ! Any tips to avoid frozen toes ?

I stay in that area. Well done! How many laps was that?

Depends where you consider the start to be but I went in front of Doodles south bound 8 times, and I finished the 100km between doodles and pakalolo !

EDIT : I have created a segment for this loop, starting at the top of the big bay hill. It's a 12,8km loop, that I did 7 times (almost 90km) + a little bit before and a little bit after the start/finish line !

https://www.strava.com/segments/24038591

I actually found this loop on a an activity from a couple of guys who smashed it last week (110+km averaring 36/37km but not solo, they were 2/3 according to strava), it's actually a very nice loop because you can almost never stop (you only turn left) or you have circles when you turn right, it's not too hilly but not completely flat so the hills give you nice downhills to recover !

The only issue is the cold air when you go down the hill at 40+ kph, my toes were killing me

Edited by Jbr

Sorry to go a bit off topic.. how does the fogging work, which products are used when you do the fogging, and is it worth having it done at one's home?

We run a cleaning company and have the 'fogging' machines for internal and external sanitizing.

Our machines are akin to high pressure hoses with nozzles. The product we use clouds, then settles and after a lay time of a few hours (enough time to decontaminate) becomes inert and invisible, non toxic and safe, so no wiping down or item cleaning the next day.

We have switched focus from our normal avenue to accommodate sanitation stations at entrances/exits and the decontamination and other 'new' practices. 

It's been quite a learning curve!

Edited by Jewbacca

We run a cleaning company and have the 'fogging' machines for internal and external sanitizing.

Our machines are akin to high pressure hoses with nozzles. The product we use clouds, then settles and after a lay time of a few hours (enough time to decontaminate) becomes inert and invisible, non toxic and safe, so no wiping down or item cleaning the next day.

We have switched focus from our normal avenue to accommodate sanitation stations at entrances/exits and the decontamination and other 'new' practices.

It's been quite a learning curve!

Very interesting I have noticed a few adds on various FB groups offering these services.

I am just thinking that when domestic help may return if this isn't maybe going to be a requirement before they may return.

Edited by Gen

Yooooohhh. I get that some people like do not like to wear their mask 100% of the time. You encounter a few on the road that may forget to put up a mask, but luckily the roads are wide and few cars are on the road this early in the morning. And if you want to push past you 5km boundaries: not cool, but it won't really affect me. But a +- 10 people group ride with not a single person wearing some excuse of protecting - now that's a bunch of bellheads.

Seriously, who are you sticking it to? Not the president nor Ms Zol. You are sticking it to your family / friends / strangers that you come into contact with. You are sticking it to the front line workers literally putting their lives at risk. You are sticking it to the common folk like me doing whatever they can to reduce the spreading. You are sticking it to 95%+ of cyclists that must suffer a bad rep because of a minority group. You are not a rebel. You are a dutch-word-for-cat. So I gave em ye old eff-you and flippin bird for whatever it's worth.

Otherwise a superb morning.

Very interesting I have noticed a few adds on various FB groups offering these services.

I am just thinking that when domestic help may return if this isn't maybe going to be a requirement before they may return.

I have a whole list of requirements and guidelines from the government for appropriate action and measures to 'legally' allow people back in the workplace etc...

Schools and businesses need in place action plans for decontamination, sanitization at all entrances and exits, egress with sufficient space between desks, some will need perspex dividers..... The roll out to the 'new normal' look paved with space and division!

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-05-17-a-10-20-03.p

Pretty happy with this one ! Damn it's cold already ! Any tips to avoid frozen toes ?

Great effort that....you definitely wizzed past me on one of your loops. It was cold this morning, my Garmin registered a low of 3.9 deg, and that was approaching Eden on the Bay just before the Sandown and Dunes Estates.....my hands and feet take a little strain...

Tips to minimise frozen (or blue) toes.

1. Jiffy bags (as per Prins Albert Cycles's tip).

2. Hidden sock underneath normal sock.

3. Two pairs of socks.

4. Overshoes.

5. Foil wrapped over toes.

6. Assos fleece socks. 

7. Have your option immediately ready at the bedside when you get up.

Well done .

Wear sandwich bags inside your shoes over your socks .

How does that work? Does the plastic help keep the heat in?

How does that work? Does the plastic help keep the heat in?

Plastic is not "breathable" so it will block airflow, also a decent idea if you know your ride has plenty water crossings.

For hands the suggest rubber gloves under your ridding gloves.

Plastic is not "breathable" so it will block airflow, also a decent idea if you know your ride has plenty water crossings.

For hands the suggest rubber gloves under your ridding gloves.

When I was still in school I used to deliver The Star. Winter weekend mornings were the worst.

2 or 3 layers of everything including gloves.

Newspaper under my shirt for insulation, balaclava for the head.

My cat eye screen used to turn completely black from the cold