Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

This was a bit more difficult than I thought it was going to be! 

attachicon.gifLockdown100.jpg

hahaha I wanted to do 100 on the first day of level 4 but started 5 mins late and only managed to do 82k after 2h40 mins.. so I decided to rush home and use the last mins of freedom to walk my baby in a pram before being locked up again ;)

Capture.jpg

Definitely not easy to do loops at 33+km/h in an urban area like table view, especially since the better rolling places are over crowded with runners and mountainbikers

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats the consensus now (dunno if I have time to read the 138 pages)? Do we just ride wherever within the allotted 6-9 timeline as it seems like "everyone" is doing it now?

Edited by MTB-More

So whats the consensus now (dunno if I have time to read the 138 pages)? Do we just ride wherever within the allotted 6-9 timeline as it seems like "everyone" is doing it now?

Someone on their soap box in 5....4....3....

Personally I've not ridden beyond the perimeter of doom but I have been to Constantia mall in my car and I'd rate my chances of contracting or transmitting the killer virus to be substantially higher swanning around there than doing a nice ride to Kommetjie and back.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I'm seriously impressed with those two efforts inside the 5km radius. I'm sure there are more.

Personally I don't give a rat's arse. I try and stick to the time limit, but like yesterday I got home at about 9:15.

I don't stick to any ring of death though. Today I did 55-ish kms, was about 25km from my house at the furthest point. I see plenty of saps on my ride though and they always wave and greet. Even the ones I saw the other day out at Bapsfontein 4-Way pulling taxi's over to check permits.

Personally I feel like the plonkers riding in groups (most of the idjits I see close to home - I think part of the problem is I live too close to the Riverfields MTB park) and the retards riding against the traffic flow are going to give me the virus or get me killed far quicker than riding further from home. 

Edited by TNT1

Personally I've not ridden beyond the perimeter of doom but I have been to Constantia mall in my car and I'd rate my chances of contracting or transmitting the killer virus to be substantially higher swanning around there than doing a nice ride to Kommetjie and back.

My personal advise is not to be too concerned about exactly where you ride, but to rather spend the energy on trying to reduce your exposure.

In other words, try to be at places and times where there are less people out-and-about.

In our area it is dead quiet between 6 and 7, so I go out then.

Between 8 and 9 our streets look like a Parkrun, so I try to avoid being out then.

And please maskup/buffup, there are serious bodies of research showing it helps to prevent carriers from dispensing virus particles into the environment. At best you might prevent yourself form getting it and then subsequently passing it on. At worst, it just shows you care a little bit about the people around you.

PS. My concern about riding outside the 5km perimeter is related to an overzealous cop with a chip on his shoulder, not the spreading of the virus. Plus you won't get any sympathy from anyone if they fine you R500 for being too far away from hom. (There is a letter from the Limpopo Deputy police commisioner stating that you cannot be arrested for transgressing Lockdown rules. But try to explain that to the cop as he throws you into the Van)

My personal advise is not to be too concerned about exactly where you ride, 

PS. My concern about riding outside the 5km perimeter is related to an overzealous cop with a chip on his shoulder, not the spreading of the virus. Plus you won't get any sympathy from anyone if they fine you R500 for being too far away from hom. (There is a letter from the Limpopo Deputy police commisioner stating that you cannot be arrested for transgressing Lockdown rules. But try to explain that to the cop as he throws you into the Van)

I agree completely with your points.

This one, however, how do you prove you are in the circle of death (even if you are) if you are stopped whilst out riding? There's no requirement (yet) to carry dompas style of proof of who and what you are is there?

My personal advise is not to be too concerned about exactly where you ride, but to rather spend the energy on trying to reduce your exposure.

In other words, try to be at places and times where there are less people out-and-about.

In our area it is dead quiet between 6 and 7, so I go out then.

Between 8 and 9 our streets look like a Parkrun, so I try to avoid being out then.

And please maskup/buffup, there are serious bodies of research showing it helps to prevent carriers from dispensing virus particles into the environment. At best you might prevent yourself form getting it and then subsequently passing it on. At worst, it just shows you care a little bit about the people around you.

Same here. Also riding or running the hilly routes help as not many people are on them.

I heard of a woman who lives in the Northern 'burbs in Cape Town who decided to go shop at the Waterfront. When she had done all she needed, and left for home she got stopped at the WF exit by a road block. Cop asks her where she lives and what she was up to. She replied that she was out doing a grocery run, and she lives in Durbanville. He informs her according to lockdown regulations she must shop at the closest store to her, and this is clearly not the closest store to Durbanville. He then proceeded to fine her R3000.00

I have reached the opinion that we are now living in a police state, and trying to reason with the thugs police will likely get you nowhere other than a fat fine at best, or a criminal record at worst. Chancing it is just not worth it i.m.o.

This one, however, how do you prove you are in the circle of death (even if you are) if you are stopped whilst out riding? There's no requirement (yet) to carry dompas style of proof of who and what you are is there?

i do lol.

I ride with utility bill just incase. Not gonna try and explain anything to an over zealous cop or worse....Mr #InTheArmyNow in a bad mood one morning...even though i know the chances are near f-all.

edit: then again....if you own anything in the lines of Acrobat Pro you can change your address on your utility bill or bank statements to whatever you want I guess.

if you do a few and chain your ride together the right way and keep tabs of where you are you would be able to prove you live just about anywhere depending on how far and how fast you can ride in 3 hours  and also how close you are to any suburb at any given time haha. Sorry...my inner criminal getting excited :blush:  :blush:

Edited by morneS555

hahaha I wanted to do 100 on the first day of level 4 but started 5 mins late and only managed to do 82k after 2h40 mins.. so I decided to rush home and use the last mins of freedom to walk my baby in a pram before being locked up again ;)

Capture.jpg

Definitely not easy to do loops at 33+km/h in an urban area like table view, especially since the better rolling places are over crowded with runners and mountainbikers

..are you calling me fat?

I heard of a woman who lives in the Northern 'burbs in Cape Town who decided to go shop at the Waterfront. When she had done all she needed, and left for home she got stopped at the WF exit by a road block. Cop asks her where she lives and what she was up to. She replied that she was out doing a grocery run, and she lives in Durbanville. He informs her according to lockdown regulations she must shop at the closest store to her, and this is clearly not the closest store to Durbanville. He then proceeded to fine her R3000.00

I have reached the opinion that we are now living in a police state, and trying to reason with the thugs police will likely get you nowhere other than a fat fine at best, or a criminal record at worst. Chancing it is just not worth it i.m.o.

And? She went out and deliberately chose something far away from her residence and hoped she wouldn't get caught out. 

Why shouldn't she have been fined?

EDIT: Well, COCT is a single district. Therefore she was within her rights, in terms of the regulations, and I'm now of hte opinion that she could have that squashed. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I find it rather amusing how people abusing the law knowingly then put themselves as victims of the police whose job is to enforce the said laws... Like that idiot paddling on a bench in muizenberg...

If you are within 5km, they can easily follow you to your home and see how you access your premises via key or remote.

The other example mentioned earlier of a utility bill in the back-pocket is a good suggestion that I will employ going forward.

..are you calling me fat?

not sure what you mean ? not calling anyone fat  ^_^  ^_^

Just can't ride at consistent pace when you constantly have to look behind your shoulder if there's a car or bus before overtaking  the runners / mountainbikers ;) Plus the damn runners refuse to wear a mask, I don't want to be peddling in their slipstream of death

Edited by Jbr

1.If you are within 5km, they can easily follow you to your home and see how you access your premises via key or remote.

2.The other example mentioned earlier of a utility bill in the back-pocket is a good suggestion that I will employ going forward.

1. I guess so.

2. I'm not willing supporting the abuse of power, so I'll not be doing that.

Edited by TNT1

You called ?

"Rules" vs "reality" vs "general behaviour" .....

YES - "Rules" state you may go buy clothes in a mall, and I AGREE 100% that the malls seems like a BAD idea !!  During all of my not-window-shopping last week the trip into Game was the scariest ... I actually back-tracked more than once to keep distance to others ...

IDEALLY - the "reality" of SOLO rides is that it SHOULD be safe .... the emphasis on the "SOLO", not the distance

SADLY - the "general behaviour" of cyclists, runners and dog walkers is that so many are NOT capable op keeping a safe distance, groups of 4 hugging together sipping a mid ride coffee ...

pity, as this latter group adds justification to the 'stupid' rules ... 

For those still in some form of denial .... I&J confirmed today that 42 of their staff at one facility is Covid positive !!!  

A friend was admitted to ICU last night, being tested Covid positive - diabetic, high blood pressure ... He is the second person in their workplace to test positive in the last couple of days ... Now they are testing their whole shift ...

The Western Cape certainly is now beginning to see this thing kick in ....

PS - I am that one guy that actually stays inside my 5km radius.  Such a nice and tempting route if I could push it to 6km .... but not doing it.  NOT preaching to others about their distance, just doing my bit.