Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

If I were a betting man, I would surmise that it's going to be a matter of time before exercise is locked down if the wrong people who make the rules read this.

You think they can read. :eek:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a run this morning and concur with the article, (some) cyclist are a weird breed, i even got kakked out for asking why the buff cannot cover his nose and mouth.. saw plenty cyclist  and very few covering nose and mouth... 

If I were a betting man, I would surmise that it's going to be a matter of time before exercise is locked down if the wrong people who make the rules read this. I saw it on EWN yesterday as well. 

This morning I went for a ride again, since Saturday, and the amount of cyclists who think a mask/buff is meant to keep their chins warm.....(aaargh I give up)...

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/cyclists-implored-to-stop-being-disrespectful-and-wear-masks-20200513

Careful not to comment too much on anything related to a PPA article in a public forum....you might get a PM asking to explain your viewpoint one morning and it wont be admin haha....

true story :whistling:  :D 

Edited by morneS555

Careful not to comment too much on anything related to a PPA article in a public forum....you might get a PM asking to explain your viewpoint one morning and it wont be admin haha....

What the hell is a ppa? IPA I know very well.

Edited by TNT1

Looking forward to a PM - it will save me an email to them asking why they are ref to this rubbish - it does not do their credibility any good:

The organisations cited a recent Belgian study that concluded cyclists riding without face coverage still pose a risk as exhaled droplets can be transmitted to others via the slipstream of a rider.

What the hell is a ppa? IPA I know very well.

exactly lol. just more of nothing being made into something. That article is exactly the reason why I gave them grief the previous time...WHY publish the article in the first place...knobs will be knobs.

Now the grumpy cop doing his early morning polisie koffie catchup on news24 can read about how he can target cyclists today.....

Edited by morneS555

If I were a betting man, I would surmise that it's going to be a matter of time before exercise is locked down if the wrong people who make the rules read this. I saw it on EWN yesterday as well. 

This morning I went for a ride again, since Saturday, and the amount of cyclists who think a mask/buff is meant to keep their chins warm.....(aaargh I give up)...

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/cyclists-implored-to-stop-being-disrespectful-and-wear-masks-20200513

So when I look at Strava I see a bunch of guys posting their 60km loop far out of the 5km mark with comments like "Nice group side with the xyz Family and abc. The coffee stop was great"

So when I whatsapped him to just say that I don't care what you do, how you do it or where you do it but please dont publicly post it as it jepordise it for everyone when they decide to look at Strava.

The responce I got was "Ja maar almal doen dit"... and to this time the Strava is still up with 40 likes and even comments of "Nice!"

You know what... I have a IDT and it works for me. Let them take it away so those that "Ja maar almal doen dit" can then go sit on their hands again and then they only have themself to blame. Common sense don't seem to be so common after all 

Quick question, I might get stoned for asking that but I'll take my chances... How many of us here are located in Table view ?

Firstly : I've created segments in Sunningdale last week, that are relatively safe to ride (very few cars, not so many pedestrian etc...). I don't really want to advertise them too much as I would like to keep them not too busy, but on the other hand, I think it would be fun to challenge each other on some fun-not so crowded loops. In a way it's like doing crit races except we don't race in a bunch :D

That's exactly what we did in Paarl! Created a 10km Lockdown Crit Lap through town. And you race it against the clock, not in groups/bunches. It's quite fun with the smack talk also going on in the Whatsapp group. The KOM has changed hands 4 times in the last 2 weeks and there's definitely a minute or two still to be shaven off the current KOM if you catch all the lights green.

I promised I'd never do this but I'm trying to illustrate a point with this.

I drove to blue route mall to go buy a new laptop this morning. It's beyond the P.O.T. but of course I was in my car so therefore it's completely safe. I saw 7 cyclists out well beyond the 9.00 be cowering inside your home deadline. But fear not. I saw far more pedestrians ruining it for the many who were cowering behind their front doors. But were they exercising, commuting or homeless?

But when I got to Blueroute I was shocked. The parking lot was packed and there were hundreds of people inside.

The lockdown is a hoax people. The only thing locked down at the moment is the economy.

Why is it that the cities are seeing more disregard for social distancing and wearing a mask etc etc.

Here in the sticks people seem to be following the rules a lot better.

I had to get to town yesterday for dog food and my kids really needed some winter clothing..hardly anyone in the shops, everyone I saw on the streets, commuting on bikes/pedestrians were all wearing masks and keeping a good distance from each other.

The one lady in the shop wanted to wear a mask as a necklace and the security politely asked her to wear her mask correctly... she looked very embarrassed and quickly sorted her mask out.

Edited by Gen

That's exactly what we did in Paarl! Created a 10km Lockdown Crit Lap through town. And you race it against the clock, not in groups/bunches. It's quite fun with the smack talk also going on in the Whatsapp group. The KOM has changed hands 4 times in the last 2 weeks and there's definitely a minute or two still to be shaven off the current KOM if you catch all the lights green.

That's exactly what I had in mind !

Quick question, I might get stoned for asking that but I'll take my chances... How many of us here are located in Table view ?

Firstly : I've created segments in Sunningdale last week, that are relatively safe to ride (very few cars, not so many pedestrian etc...). I don't really want to advertise them too much as I would like to keep them not too busy, but on the other hand, I think it would be fun to challenge each other on some fun-not so crowded loops. In a way it's like doing crit races except we don't race in a bunch :D

Secondly : Has anyone got some decent MTB/Gravel loop to do in the area ? I'm assuming the only way to have something else than tar withing a 5k radius would also be in the Table bay mall area, but I think it's quite sandy... I'm interested if anyone has a Strava link to share... would be nice to stay away from the runners and get the MTBs dirty for a change

If there's some interest, for Road/MTB strava challenges in the area I'll create a topic, but it would obviously have to remain within the current rules (we ride solo / between 6 and 9)

No reason to get stoned ... by the lynch mob or on pineable brew ...

Saw a "group" of about 8 runners last week .... stretched over about 50m.  Week before I was following three riders.  Two were riding together, with a few meters to the third (given speed and slip stream yada yada ... probably not enough safe distance).  I hung back about 30 meters.

Proper safe distance maintained, AND safety in numbers.

Edited by ChrisF

Why is it that the cities are seeing more disregard for social distancing and wearing a mask etc etc.

Here in the sticks people seem to be following the rules a lot better.

I had to get to town yesterday for dog food and my kids really needed some winter clothing..hardly anyone in the shops, everyone I saw on the streets, commuting on bikes/pedestrians were all wearing masks and keeping a good distance from each other.

The one lady in the shop wanted to wear a mask as a necklace and the security politely asked her to wear her mask correctly... she looked very embarrassed and quickly sorted her mask out.

I have a theory, and it has to do with the general sense of lawlessness which has been prevailing for so long in the cities. For example, here in Cape Town, people treat a stop sign as optional. Now, if you simply couldn't give a tit about stopping (i.e. not moving, not slow-rolling over the white line), then why care about something far more trivial such as having to wear a mask. People are in it for themselves, and just don't care about society. If everyone else dies, and I survive, then what's the problem? This is how I am summing people up at the moment.

Everyone for themselves, and to heck with the rest seems to be the order of the day.

In more country locations, people still "know" one another. They stop and greet, have a chat. People are more civil. In the metros, it's survival of the fastest.

They're welcome to PM me. I'd ask the twat that asks who decided he must speak on my behalf seeing as I am not, nor never will be, a member.

[edit] I did have "oom Chris" from you know where PM me once after I moaned here about the lack of service from his sales people one of the few times I ventured in-store...he invited me for "coffee" and a chat. I declined, seeing as I came right at Evobikes.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

I have a theory, and it has to do with the general sense of lawlessness which has been prevailing for so long in the cities. For example, here in Cape Town, people treat a stop sign as optional. Now, if you simply couldn't give a tit about stopping (i.e. not moving, not slow-rolling over the white line), then why care about something far more trivial such as having to wear a mask. People are in it for themselves, and just don't care about society. If everyone else dies, and I survive, then what's the problem? This is how I am summing people up at the moment.

Everyone for themselves, and to heck with the rest seems to be the order of the day.

In more country locations, people still "know" one another. They stop and greet, have a chat. People are more civil. In the metros, it's survival of the fastest.

Probably..although our dorp isn't that small and is classified at a city we seem more polite, esp now for some reason. People also seem more patient with each other at the moment.

I had a lekker chat to the one teller yesterday (I was the only one paying at that stage so wasn't holding anyone up) we had a conversation about kids and how the kids are coping ..She has a 10 year old daughter who really misses her teacher, but is working hard during LD making sure her work school work stays up to date.

Edited by Gen

No reason to get stoned ... by the lynch mob or on pineable brew ...

Saw a "group" of about 8 runners last week .... stretched over about 50m.  Week before I was following three riders.  Two were riding together, with a few meters to the third (given speed and slip stream yada yada ... probably not enough safe distance).  I hung back about 30 meters.

Proper safe distance maintained, AND safety in numbers.

I must confess that I once rode about 20km of my 80km ride with a friend I randomly met during the ride... But we were always masks on and to be honest, we passed dozens of other riders and runners in the meantime that weren't wearing a mask, so I doubt our behaviour was the most risky, but the rules are the rules... I could argue that the rule is "no organized groups" and we weren't organized once we met we were both going the same speed and didn't lose each other  :D

To be honest I'm still very surprised that the mask isn't mandatory but we have to ride solo, it should be the other way around or both but surely the mask should be the n°1 thing before the 5k radius and the group thing

Edited by Jbr