Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

You didn't mention the brand of glove or shorts. I'm surprised, I thought your post was an advertorial at first.

Oh hell.

Sorry. Didn't mean it to come off like that.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to everyone that went to train this week...

Me personally, decided to have my off-week now, best to let the body absorb all those weeks of interval training.

It has nothing to do with the predicted -1°C temperatures in my valley today.

Well done to everyone that went to train this week...

Me personally, decided to have my off-week now, best to let the body absorb all those weeks of interval training.

It has nothing to do with the predicted -1°C temperatures in my valley today.

LOL. my cousins still live in P-Town. I sent them pictures of the iced rain yesterday and just said goodluck for the next week

I'm getting worried about you :whistling: ;)

I give it another year and he will be a full on triathlete.

I stopped following this thread some time ago but have there been any confirmed instances where Covid spread strictly within a cycling group in South Africa ?

I witnessed a barney where the "it is a major source of the explosion" met the "I have seen no reports of  it being the case".

I don't cycle in groups and have now view on the matter, but would like to know the facts.

I stopped following this thread some time ago but have there been any confirmed instances where Covid spread strictly within a cycling group in South Africa ?

I witnessed a barney where the "it is a major source of the explosion" met the "I have seen no reports of  it being the case".

I don't cycle in groups and have now view on the matter, but would like to know the facts.

No, there is no data suggesting that, but some speculated, nothing more. No facts available.

If you look at what we know of Covid19 and the way it is transmitted, then casual cycling must be one of the least likely sports to transmit it. It is not a contact sport and it is easy to social distance. (Just don't do snot rockets and rub shoulders in a sprint) There is no sharing of equipment and it is easy to exclude the social aspect of it. It is outdoors and not in a confined space with lack of ventilation. Sick people also tend to not cycle.

Of all the places where I would expect to cause new clusters of infections to originate, cycling groups will be pretty low on the danger list. Golf as well, as long as they close the bar.

Hospitals will be by far the number one worry, then (in no real order) churches, schools, tea / staff rooms, movies, conferences, open plan offices, aeroplanes, police stations, home affairs, anywhere with people in queues, shops.......all would worry me a lot more than cycling.

Edited by DJR

It's this article that has caused the hysteria people to be so concerned 

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

1*xR4JuvsEr8WFfBJM1qjyvg.jpeg

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a32099136/coronavirus-viral-simulation/

Be Careful Sharing This Viral Simulation—It’s Not an Actual Scientific Study

Edited by splat

It's this article that has caused the hysteria people to be so concerned 

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

1*xR4JuvsEr8WFfBJM1qjyvg.jpeg

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a32099136/coronavirus-viral-simulation/

Be Careful Sharing This Viral Simulation—It’s Not an Actual Scientific Study

Yebo, this article that caused the concern was published on 8 April so was likely written before any real understanding of the virus, its spread, virulence, etc. was had. It was certainly not based on observation nor was it data  driven.

Hence my question on observed cases as I'm sure much has changed since then. For the better or the worse.. Either way, I'm not cycling in a group.

Actual studies on the distribution of exhaled droplets were done where they gave the subject something that would make the droplets fluoresce and would then be visible under UV light. As far as I know that was never done outdoors and for activities like running or cycling, but only for indoor settings like doctors treatment rooms or waiting areas in hospitals. It was also used to track touch transfer from one person to others and things like doorknobs, handrails etc. Scary! But I don't think (cannot prove it of course) that a computer simulation can do it for outdoors. 

Actual studies on the distribution of exhaled droplets were done where they gave the subject something that would make the droplets fluoresce and would then be visible under UV light. As far as I know that was never done outdoors and for activities like running or cycling, but only for indoor settings like doctors treatment rooms or waiting areas in hospitals. It was also used to track touch transfer from one person to others and things like doorknobs, handrails etc. Scary! But I don't think (cannot prove it of course) that a computer simulation can do it for outdoors.

CFD simations are certainly higher level maths, but a well established field of engineering. It is used for many different design fields ...

The only unknown, or rather new parameter, is the concentration of bugs in the droplets you breath out. The distribution pattern can be simulted very accurately .... and then back to the two big unknowns ... what concenteation is required to infect the next person, and how long does the virus stay alive in normal atmosphere ....

And each of those questions have multiple answers

Actually some nice phd level research questions ...

CFD simations are certainly higher level maths, but a well established field of engineering. It is used for many different design fields ...

The only unknown, or rather new parameter, is the concentration of bugs in the droplets you breath out. The distribution pattern can be simulted very accurately .... and then back to the two big unknowns ... what concenteation is required to infect the next person, and how long does the virus stay alive in normal atmosphere ....

And each of those questions have multiple answers

Actually some nice phd level research questions ...

social distance...simple....the way...

CFD simations are certainly higher level maths, but a well established field of engineering. It is used for many different design fields ...............

I find the computer modelling fascinating, but yes, the mathematics and the engineering behind it certainly is like a dark art to me. I have a mate who has a PhD in Bio-electrical engineering and over many a bottle of good wine, he still failed to explain it to me (must be his fault :whistling: ). Personally, I am a bit old school and believe in real "wet" research, even if just to base the computer modelling on. Or to test the computer model against.

What I always wonder about is what exactly the starting point is, what data is fed in, and if it isn't from real life, then how much can the end result be relied upon? I know they are incredible tools, these computer simulations, and they helped us research and understand many complex things. I understand and appreciate their value, but the old fart in me still instinctively like real physical, spit and blood splatter! 

I find the computer modelling fascinating, but yes, the mathematics and the engineering behind it certainly is like a dark art to me. I have a mate who has a PhD in Bio-electrical engineering and over many a bottle of good wine, he still failed to explain it to me (must be his fault :whistling: ). Personally, I am a bit old school and believe in real "wet" research, even if just to base the computer modelling on. Or to test the computer model against.

What I always wonder about is what exactly the starting point is, what data is fed in, and if it isn't from real life, then how much can the end result be relied upon? I know they are incredible tools, these computer simulations, and they helped us research and understand many complex things. I understand and appreciate their value, but the old fart in me still instinctively like real physical, spit and blood splatter! 

In geology we make extensive use of 3D computer modelling and 3D stats estimates for modelling distributions.  Often it is black box stuff driven by a recent, computer tech savvy but real world experience short, graduates as more experienced people are intimidated by the computer aspects or no longer interested.Two sayings apply;

1. BS in BS out

2. To err is human, to really F it up you need a computer