Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbour just got a R500 fine for working in his front garden (not fenced in). Just as well they didn't come yesterday when my wife was running in the front yard.

Thats just silly ....

As long as you stay IN your yard ....

But it gets grey quickly .... the City Of Cape Town municipality has long since stopped doing is duty if taking care of pavements !!  :thumbdown:   IF you have grass of plants in the pavement section, YOU take care of it .... and if you now do what you have already paid the municipality to do, then you get fined ....

We used to have grass, plants and fencing in the front.  With the drought we ripped it all out and paved everything in the front .... and got rid of the fence.  WITH the fence I could wash my car, now I cant ...

Then again ... with the old fence I could have had a small lap in the front with the bike.  Now I DONT chance it ....

Was this in SA?

Surely lockdown meant stay on your property not in your dwelling? I wonder if the law defines it as such?

This "on your house" vs "on your property" is a hotly debated topic in SA .... with all the townhouse complexes .....

"the property" is normally well defined for a house, and it should be easy enough to determine where you may or may not be.  Once you get to a block of flats and/or a townhouse complex ... well everybody shares the same "property grounds" ....

Yeah and Rohan Dennis absolutely lost it.. made a break for it in his car said some questionable things..responded to a post then proceeded to make his social media accounts inactive.

Why would he post it though [emoji848]

He is a real PR nightmare... on one side they have Thomas raising funds and then they have Dennis going off the rails..team management is important in times like these.. not everyone copes with situations the same way.

He was asked the question on twitter and answered as follows:

"Or I could show the reality of how s**t the situation is and not be one of your beloved drones who show their ‘perfect world’ as an elite athlete. Which one would you like. Real or fake?”

He was asked the question on twitter and answered as follows:

"Or I could show the reality of how s**t the situation is and not be one of your beloved drones who show their ‘perfect world’ as an elite athlete. Which one would you like. Real or fake?”

Dennis is a poisoned Chalice.

Unbelievable athlete but an absolute roller coaster.

It's rubbish for everyone. Making it about 'you' is just silly. We don't need him to show us the situation, we are all living it.

No, some countries where people actually obey the law are still allowing personal activities, few places in Europe still allow u to cycle outside.

He told me that in his neighbourhood 4 kids where playing together in the street and the cops walked out, issued them each a 400euro fine and when handing it over Saif "here, give this to your parents".

So do they obey the law or not in Holland? Got confused here. Yes it is kids, but surely they had parents.

No one can convince me that there is any country anywhere where everyone is fully compliant with local orders

Edited by daniemare

This "on your house" vs "on your property" is a hotly debated topic in SA .... with all the townhouse complexes .....

"the property" is normally well defined for a house, and it should be easy enough to determine where you may or may not be.  Once you get to a block of flats and/or a townhouse complex ... well everybody shares the same "property grounds" ....

Its easy...really.There is your property and then there is common property.The one you can exercise in the other you can't.

So do they obey the law or not in Holland? Got confused here. Yes it is kids, but surely they had parents.

No one can convince me that there is any country anywhere where everyone is fully compliant with local orders

Well they were in the streets, I assume u like South Africa its safe to do that unsupervised.

From what I have heard they far more law abiding than we are, nobody is perfect. Apparently the latest high risk area for "gatherings" is gardening shops as everyone's going there to buy plants and **** to work in their gardens.

So while I am certain that there are people who are not fully respecting theirs, but they also have actual law enforcement so if you get slapped with a 400 euro fine you don't do it again, the avg middle class loves around the 3 to 4k euro mark so that fines like 10% or more of many household incomes.

Imagine here getting slapped with a 5 or 10k fine for walking in the street with ur wife and 2 kids. R500 I'm sure at least those on this forum can afford, but 10 grand.

It's rubbish for everyone. Making it about 'you' is just silly. We don't need him to show us the situation, we are all living it.

And just because other athletes are coping better than him doesn't mean that it is fake either..

The very best athletes who have stayed at the top of their game are generally mentally incredibly strong.

Edited by Gen

And just because other athletes are coping better than him doesn't mean that it is fake either..

The very best athletes who have stayed at the top of their game are generally mentally incredibly tough.

Yeah.. exactly.

He has been at the centre of too many wibbly wobblies for me to believe he is always the 'victim'.

Like I said though, phenomenal bike rider and I enjoy watching him. I did live in STRAYA for a while 20 odd years ago and they were pretty abrupt. Maybe it's part of his default setting

No, some countries where people actually obey the law are still allowing personal activities, few places in Europe still allow u to cycle outside.

My one boss who moved to Holland, and their you are pretty free to roam, but shops limit 1 member per family, no beaches and no groups of more than 3.

He told me that in his neighbourhood 4 kids where playing together in the street and the cops walked out, issued them each a 400euro fine and when handing it over Saif "here, give this to your parents".

Apologies, I should have specified SA.

Back to Sagan.

Lots of pro’s getting on to Zwift to “keep the momentum “ probably driven by their team manger, who gets instructions from the sponsors, who in turn are grasping for even miniscule returns on their huge investment.

so, good on Sagan for being in a position to tell his sponsors to fark off, but just because other pros are not in his position, does not make them less of a cyclist than him.

Im not sure why his arrogance bugs me so, I don’t even follow international cycling. Maybe it’s the arrogance...

Apologies, I should have specified SA.

Back to Sagan.

Lots of pro’s getting on to Zwift to “keep the momentum “ probably driven by their team manger, who gets instructions from the sponsors, who in turn are grasping for even miniscule returns on their huge investment.

so, good on Sagan for being in a position to tell his sponsors to fark off, but just because other pros are not in his position, does not make them less of a cyclist than him.

Im not sure why his arrogance bugs me so, I don’t even follow international cycling. Maybe it’s the arrogance...

Watch the full Q&A

The news article headlines a part of where he was asked about Virtual racing...it's not for him plane and simple...

And after watching that Virtual Flanders it's not for me either..that's not real peloton racing.

Edited by Gen

True, it is rubbish for everyone, but people react differently.

It is human nature to speak from one's own perspective (or making it about "you")... one sees it often here on the Hub too. 

But yes, he is probably a bit of a nightmare to manage from a PR point of view, but on the other hand life would have been pretty boring if everybody was "perfect" . 

True, it is rubbish for everyone, but people react differently.

It is human nature to speak from one's own perspective (or making it about "you")... one sees it often here on the Hub too. 

But yes, he is probably a bit of a nightmare to manage from a PR point of view, but on the other hand life would have been pretty boring if everybody was "perfect" . 

For sure.. I loved Wiggo. He was/is a character, his interviews are fantastic, he is eccentric and if the Mighty Boosh was a cyclist, it would be him.

I also love a guy like Novak Djokovic who is a clown. 

Absolute Tip Top of their games, openly displaying their characters proudly, just not in a spoiled brat kind of way.

Dennis and the 'storms' he has created comes across as a bit of an untenable brat.

Question. Can you run on the pavement outside your property?

Can you run on the pavement if you live in a complex?

Can you run in your complex? (I have too many old farts who complain if we dare run or even use an indoor trainer as it makes too much noise ~ sad old folks).

Can you run in your complex? (I have too many old farts who complain if we dare run or even use an indoor trainer as it makes too much noise ~ sad old folks).

They'll probably freak out if you run in the complex.

I'm sorry, but I'll just ignore their complaints. Anyone who moans about noise while you train indoors in lockdown time is just being a muthergrundy. Start that IDT up and gooi some hard intervals tomorrow.