Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

That's not what was said and makes no sense, you may be running alone, but what about the other 10 people running alone and the people walking along or walking their dogs alone.

At some point in time in the same neighbourhood these peeps are going to intersect, if 1 of them is sick and asymptomatic depending on paths of cross intersection that 1 sick person could infect a dozen households because they were all alone and all did not need to wear masks as they were alone...

Leaving alone does not mean you will be the only one outside assuming we're allowed such freedoms.

Inside your house is basically the only place ur not required to wear one.

Then you better run with a N95 or surgical masks. The only masks that protects against a virus. But then government says you must use a cloth mask, that offers no protection, and leave surgical masks for essential services.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont need a mask as protection when running alone. You can use a buff to please the Karens.

It's not Karen you have to please....as per Gov of the day, it's now Mandatory if you leave home.

PS you will NEVER please Karen....

It's not Karen you have to please....as per Gov of the day, it's now Mandatory if you leave home.

PS you will NEVER please Karen....

Government says you cant leave your house without wearing a cloth mask. A buff will suffice. A buff folded over a few times will give much more protection than all the homemade masks flooding my Facebook.

Is it about appearances or about actually making an effort not to spread the virus?

Yoh.... I give up.

I dunno, they nothing more than a bad fashion accessory.

There are reusable ones that can genuinely work, but they definitely not the ones flooding Facebook.

Important to note that the government regulations are not about protecting individuals from infection but are addressed at public health. That is, they are attempting to reduce the speed with which the virus moves through the population with a view to protecting public infrastructure and limiting loss of life because of overwhelmed systems.

From this public health perspective, the risk you outline in your post, which is a real one is offset by the benefit to the population as a whole of being allowed to exercise.

That's not what was said and makes no sense, you may be running alone, but what about the other 10 people running alone and the people walking along or walking their dogs alone.

At some point in time in the same neighbourhood these peeps are going to intersect, if 1 of them is sick and asymptomatic depending on paths of cross intersection that 1 sick person could infect a dozen households because they were all alone and all did not need to wear masks as they were alone...

Leaving alone does not mean you will be the only one outside assuming we're allowed such freedoms.

Inside your house is basically the only place ur not required to wear one.

Too bad the mask is not in SA, the R600 price tag does not help, but pretty useless if it will never arrive.

Evobikes has stock, AND they DO deliver the masks even during the lock-down - 

https://www.evobikes.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=face+masks+%E2%80%93+3+pack

there are a few other options out there, even some slightly cheaper ....

BUT, right now I will rather support our own companies/distributors.

We purchased these for our family, and can confirm the sizes are spot on.  It fits VERY easily, without having to cover your eyes first ....

Today at the pharmacy people had to put on a mask before being allowed in !!  Those that did not have masks, were given the option to buy a mask, or leave the shop.  FIRST shop where ALL staff were actually wearing their masks properly.  :thumbup:   THIS is the new reality.  Prudent business owners are already ordering masks for all their staff, especially those in the construction industry .... no mask : no entry to the site !!

Important to note that the government regulations are not about protecting individuals from infection but are addressed at public health. That is, they are attempting to reduce the speed with which the virus moves through the population with a view to protecting public infrastructure and limiting loss of life because of overwhelmed systems.

From this public health perspective, the risk you outline in your post, which is a real one is offset by the benefit to the population as a whole of being allowed to exercise.

I agree and understand the benefits of the exercise, my point was purely against the statement of you not having to wear a mask as u alone.

I think many of us are adapting, I had my cabin fever back in week 2 and I was a cranky irritable ass all week, instead of just an ass. At thins point however even if I can't ride outside, I'd even be happy to go sit in the damned office just to get out.

Evobikes has stock, AND they DO deliver the masks even during the lock-down -

https://www.evobikes.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=face+masks+%E2%80%93+3+pack

there are a few other options out there, even some slightly cheaper ....

BUT, right now I will rather support our own companies/distributors.

We purchased these for our family, and can confirm the sizes are spot on. It fits VERY easily, without having to cover your eyes first ....

Today at the pharmacy people had to put on a mask before being allowed in !! Those that did not have masks, were given the option to buy a mask, or leave the shop. FIRST shop where ALL staff were actually wearing their masks properly. [emoji106] THIS is the new reality. Prudent business owners are already ordering masks for all their staff, especially those in the construction industry .... no mask : no entry to the site !!

Thanks, may actually grab a pack of that, but yeah it was just a random add I saw for masks specifically designed for cycling, I assume they would work well when ur panting.

I can't even ride with a single layer buff on my face, I can't breathe through them.

Here is some updated info and the article has attached the current draft proposal.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/level-4-lockdown-you-can-exercise-alone-and-no-visiting-friends-and-family-47190025

As the article states, jogging only from level 3, stands to reasons Cycling will be then at the earliest.

Travel is restricted to work only, no recreational travel.

Mandatory use of clothe masks.

Stores are to have temperature scanning in addition to the sanitizers and implement a system to control entry other than queuing, like a ticketing system.

Curfews from 8pm to 5am.

Why aren't these masks free ????

Free some cash up in people's pocket in order to buy groceries.

Government should be funding enterprises to manufacture masks and in turn be distributed to the people at no charge.

Why aren't these masks free [emoji40]

Free some cash up in people's pocket in order to buy groceries.

Government should be funding enterprises to manufacture masks and in turn be distributed to the people at no charge.

There is a world wide shortage of masks.

And as we heard in the Thursday briefing there is a big scale cloth mask manufacturing project underway in SA..

Free would be great but that is not going to happen, what I would like to see is just a price cap placed on it.

Edited by Gen

Here is some updated info and the article has attached the current draft proposal.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/level-4-lockdown-you-can-exercise-alone-and-no-visiting-friends-and-family-47190025

As the article states, jogging only from level 3, stands to reasons Cycling will be then at the earliest.

Travel is restricted to work only, no recreational travel.

Mandatory use of clothe masks.

Stores are to have temperature scanning in addition to the sanitizers and implement a system to control entry other than queuing, like a ticketing system.

Curfews from 8pm to 5am.

This is clear as mud?

Draft document says "People can excercise under strict public health conditions, subject to directions, which will exclude organised activities, recreational facilities and gym"

And then the journo's take:

You can excercise alone, but you cannot jog? Or is jogging something that is considered to be a group activity?

I'm really hoping this means I can go cycle on my own....

This is clear as mud?

Draft document says "People can excercise under strict public health conditions, subject to directions, which will exclude organised activities, recreational facilities and gym"

You can excercise alone, but you cannot jog? Or is jogging something that is considered to be a group activity?

Like you said, its unclear. If you and I cant understand whats going on do you really think the cop stopping you will know?

I definitely wont go outside on day 1 of level 4.

This is clear as mud?

I think rather look at the official documents, like the draft document..before making any assumptions.

Sometimes journalists make conclusions and ask the wrong questions, they are rushing to publish without all the facts at hand.