Helmet Replacement Scaremongering

danryding

Luckily I crash way too often to bother with how old my helmets are..... haha

Last 2 replacements for that same reason.

In both cases I didn't immediately notice any issues with the helmet, didn't even realise it had any impact.

Subsequent headaches suggested check, and there it was, cracked in various places.

Hopefully my next replacement will be out of choice or end of lifespan. :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We wear helmets because we have to, or depending on where you ride. I have fallen and broken bones without a helmet and the noggin was OK.

Done the same with a helmet and cracked it. Still OK.

Or maybe not. To me the real effectiveness of a helmet is that it falls apart when you trap it between the hard object and your head. So in theory a crappy helmet is probably better as it will simulate a MIPS helmet at a fraction of the cost.

So this brings to question when is a helmet better than not wearing one? Is a cheap and nasty heavy solid block better than an old soft one?

As soon as the head comes into contact with something. 

A "cheap and nasty" lid is, normally, cheap and nasty because they don't need to put hours into development to get it as light as possible while still providing enough protection, and increasing airflow. The differences only really come in when MIPS and other impact-mitigating solutions come into it. 

Old & soft will almost always be worse than new and cheap, in my opinion, as in the new one it's still got a good structure that will deform and absorb impacts better than an old one. 

We wear helmets because we have to, or depending on where you ride. I have fallen and broken bones without a helmet and the noggin was OK.

Done the same with a helmet and cracked it. Still OK.

Or maybe not. To me the real effectiveness of a helmet is that it falls apart when you trap it between the hard object and your head. So in theory a crappy helmet is probably better as it will simulate a MIPS helmet at a fraction of the cost.

So this brings to question when is a helmet better than not wearing one? Is a cheap and nasty heavy solid block better than an old soft one?

No helmet is never better. I can't actually believe I'm seeing this post on a bike forum. Yes, you can fall with or without a helmet, and walk away, or break an arm or collarbone with or without a helmet.

But the kind of fall that a helmet will save you from is literally a life or death scenario. You don't need to be going super fast or doing something silly to fall in a way that could end your riding for ever without a helmet.

Took a hard tumble last weekend . Was out for 5-6 minutes . Fortunately shoulder took most of the impact. Helmet was dented and it cracked on the front rim above the eyebrow. Was checked out at ER and only had shoulder x rayed but luckily no damage or breaks . Have replaced the helmet with exactly the same model as before . Had I been wearing an older generation helmet maybe I wouldn’t have been so lucky

Took a hard tumble last weekend . Was out for 5-6 minutes . Fortunately shoulder took most of the impact. Helmet was dented and it cracked on the front rim above the eyebrow. Was checked out at ER and only had shoulder x rayed but luckily no damage or breaks . Have replaced the helmet with exactly the same model as before . Had I been wearing an older generation helmet maybe I wouldn’t have been so lucky

Helmets are a ripoff.

Yes yes, it is protecting your head. Yes yes it is important.

A seat belt will save your life, doesn't mean it has to cost R3k.

Helmets are a ripoff. The actual cost of production:retail price is approaching Gillette razor ripoff territory.

Helmets are a ripoff.

Helmets are a ripoff. The actual cost of production:retail price is approaching Gillette razor ripoff territory.

You only need the thing to work for about 2 seconds . And when you do need it to work , you’ll be grateful for the money you paid for the tech to be what it is . Going to cost you a whole whack more if it doesn’t work .

Helmets are a ripoff.

One can only wonder about the marginal gains between a R 1 000 helmet from a reputable brand vs those many times more expensive ...

How much of that extra price is "engineering", and how much is "marketing"....

As for a replacement schedule .... take good care of it and it may be good for longer .... abuse it and it may need replacement sooner ...

In Holland they dont even wear helmets. I always wear one but I think the polycarbonate outer prevents UV from getting to the polystyrene.

There's strong irony in the fact that Holland also produces more neurosurgeons than any other country...

Helmets are a ripoff.

Everything about cycling is a rip off

Helmets are neccessary

I have twice fallen hard and broken the helmet in numerous places

Once hard enough to cause concussion and cancel my Epic

However

Nothing is as expensive as Gillette blades.

Its ridiculous

Everything about cycling is a rip off

Helmets are neccessary

I have twice fallen hard and broken the helmet in numerous places

Once hard enough to cause concussion and cancel my Epic

However

Nothing is as expensive as Gillette blades.

Its ridiculous

But a BIC disposable razor does the same job...

Its all about the prep!

Imo people should not ride what they feel unsafe with. If it makes you happy, buy a new helmet every 3 years - it is your money, and your head.

A new helmet will have the advantage of new technologies like MIPS/wavecell and cool things companies do to make consumers buy.

I have an 14 year old helmet in my stable - it has new pads but I still use it.

Small protest - Im not missing concepts, Ive been part of a team that developed light helmets for a different industry at one time in my life. We strapped them onto dummies and did impact tests with sharp and blunt impactors etc. We heated them, froze them, radiated them etc. Tried different laminates, ran finite element analyses, then tested some more. Im not a helmet guru by some margin, but I wrestled with the subject matter enough to be past the first Dunning-Kruger peak, I hope.

Edit - too much wine! I never debate on the interwebs. Darn it - I posted so much bla bla bla

Yet you still wear a bicycle helmet?

My S-Works helmet can fit a rebar stake through the vent so I have not idea how it is deemed safe in a point impact test. Especially as rebar stakes are used to hold up course markers in races...

Helmets are a rip off..., people complaining to get a new one every 3-5 years at R2-4k...

But these are probably the same okes that will go out and upgrade to the latest bike and components every 2-3 years, or spend thousands on kit and gear but ride the same 10 year old helmet, the only thing thats really protecting you, hmmmm :whistling: :whistling: