Cogent Industries, Resolved. Thank you

Enduro newbie

Ok, so this might be a once off experience from them or it might be usual thing. I unfortunately had "THE" experience, and it still going.

So I booked in my rear shock at Cogent Industries for a service on Monday the 4th of November. Took the shock in as it was stuck and I could hear oil in the air chamber.

So here is the timeline of what has happened so far.

1) Monday 4th November, take shock in and get told 24-48 hours under usual circumstances, bit longer if there is anything out of the ordinary. All good, or so I thought

2) Wednesday, no communication thus far so I call to get an update, get told the seal kits delivery was delayed and should be there on Thursday, no worries as I will be up and riding by the weekend.

3) Friday morning, I phone again and get told the seal kits are being delivered today only. So nothing to worry as they are doing the service today and the shock will be ready on the Friday afternoon, great.

So this is where it all started going South.

1) Friday 6th November, receive a message, please call Cogent industries. Ie a "please call me"

I call only to hear there is an issue with the shaft of the shock itself, so the seals were replaced, but after a pressure test there as a leak and on disassembly the shaft sheared off, according to Cogent it had a hairline fracture and it sheared off. Ok. NO RIDING on the weekend

2) Solution is to get this shaft machined and replaced, as RockShox doesn't make replacement parts. We try make a plan for other shocks but nothing that can fit. Bummer.

3) So I ask Jarqeus at Cogent for a quote on the new machined shaft, a quote on a similar shock and even a replacement shock.

4) Call Trail Tech cycles, get a quote within 30 minutes, nothing in stock so it will need to be ordered.

5) No riding on the weekend, but it is what it is.

6) Monday 9th November, call Jarqeus and tell him we need to go ahead with the machining of the shaft, so send me a price in this, and also the quote for the replacements.

7) 25 November send Jarqeus a WhatsApp, stating my name, shock and the problem with the shock, message got read, but no reply.

So today is the 7th December, still no answer, feedback or even the quote on the replacement shocks, in the meantime I had to buy a second hand shock so I can ride.

Am I the unfortunate guy to get the worst service from Cogent or is this a pretty normal happening and no-one says anything? Problem is that Cogent is delivering a service that only a few guys can do, including the bike shops which send the shocks to Cogent anyways.

Must say I am very disappointed at this whole situation, it just sucks that it has had to come to this but honestly I am gatvol, just a phone call or an email would make it better, any feedback at least. I am not unreasonable, if there is an issue with the machining, lets explore other options, if I needed to buy a new shock, well then I had to. But not replying, or communicating PISSES me off.

Please by all means reply to this, maybe I am out of line but really, a month with nothing?

Edited by Enduro newbie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike insured? Claim for a new shock. 

At least that's what I would do. My insurance covers parts breaking during a crash and normal use. A shaft shearing off isn't wear and tear.  

Well I must say, so far my dealing with them was not a good one, I will give it until then end of this week to see the outcome.

BUD, have you tried sending your stuff To RBC in PE?

I have heard good things about them. My brother in law sent his DVO fork there and got it back within 4 days, perfect, no hassle.

Definitely worth looking into that for my next service.

Rockshox shock right?

I know cause those shafts aren't available, trust me I've seen Jacques custom make those shafts to help people out who have those monarchs on their bikes

Send it to trail tech or RBC, youre likely going to pay the same or more and wait just as long

If I guessed your shock right you can trust what I'm saying

You are right our communication could be better. I was planning on touching base with you as I got the shaft back on Friday and not happy with how it fits so we are doing another.

Our whole aim with this was to help out and save you from buying a new shock by making a quite intricate part to replace your shaft with a hairline crack that we did not pick up initially.

Unless things have changed very recently those shafts are still not a part you can order, they do not exist on the spares list and the guys from RockShox confirmed to us that they are unavailable to order as a part. 

I do not make any money on this and doing it purely to help and our way of trying to make something work instead of scrapping it. Hoping we can have anodizing finished this week and have your shock back to you.

Edited by Cogent Industries

Rockshox shock right?

I know cause those shafts aren't available, trust me I've seen Jacques custom make those shafts to help people out who have those monarchs on their bikes

Send it to trail tech or RBC, youre likely going to pay the same or more and wait just as long

If I guessed your shock right you can trust what I'm saying

Yip it is a monarch.

It’s definitely not a price issue, or even the wait issue as I said, it is what it is. Unfortunately nothing can be done about this.

Problem lies with keeping me in the dark. All it takes is one email or phone call. That is my issue. It’s plain and simple.

Like I said, I even asked for a price on a replacement monarch or something similar. But not coming back to a customer is not a good business model.

Personally, I would prefer that a shop does not offer a service to me, rather than respond to my reasonable annoyance with a flippant "guess we could be better at communicating" and then writing a paragraph going on about how I should just be grateful that they are doing this for me.

Personally, I would prefer that a shop does not offer a service to me, rather than respond to my reasonable annoyance with a flippant "guess we could be better at communicating" and then writing a paragraph going on about how I should just be grateful that they are doing this for me.

Agree 100%

It amazes me that one can respond to an online post questioning their service levels in 2 hours but can't respond to their client in the better part of a month.

Boggles the mind.

You are right our communication could be better. I was planning on touching base with you as I got the shaft back on Friday and not happy with how it fits so we are doing another.

Our whole aim with this was to help out and save you from buying a new shock by making a quite intricate part to replace your shaft with a hairline crack that we did not pick up initially.

Unless things have changed very recently those shafts are still not a part you can order, they do not exist on the spares list and the guys from RockShox confirmed to us that they are unavailable to order as a part.

I do not make any money on this and doing it purely to help and our way of trying to make something work instead of scrapping it. Hoping we can have anodizing finished this week and have your shock back to you.

So great, I get some feedback. Now you do know I had to buy a new shock because there was no communication from your side? So now you going to slap me with a price and I am going to look like a d@@s if I don’t pay?

Also the shaft takes a close to a month, suddenly it arrives on Friday, its not up to speck and you getting a new one made and anodized by end of the week? Hmmmmm, you told me 2 weeks give or take.

I just find it strange that I didn’t receive anything for close to a month, then after having to post it publicly, the shaft arrived on Friday, which you didn’t send me a mail to let me know.

Also, still no email or any communication concerning this.

So great, I get some feedback. Now you do know I had to buy a new shock because there was no communication from your side? So now you going to slap me with a price and I am going to look like a d@@s if I don’t pay?

Also the shaft takes a close to a month, suddenly it arrives on Friday, its not up to speck and you getting a new one made and anodized by end of the week? Hmmmmm, you told me 2 weeks give or take.

I just find it strange that I didn’t receive anything for close to a month, then after having to post it publicly, the shaft arrived on Friday, which you didn’t send me a mail to let me know.

Also, still no email or any communication concerning this.

Did you receive a quote, and did you confirm your approval for the offer? No? Then you're not the dwis, and have no obligation to pay for anything.