Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Can I just mention the Knob driver in a Hilux that shouted at us while we were bandaging up a broken leg and applying a tourniquet to our friend " Can you cyclists get out the F'ing road" This was because chub chub had to wait 4 seconds before turning up Houghton drive. 

And the absolute See you next Tuesday of a driver in a Range Rover swearing and speeding past at 90km/h up Houghton cause he was asked to slow down going past an accident zone...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I’m doing my level 1 BLS course (yesterday and today). Had to share Charles’ Strava photos with our group, as it was a good example of how things are at an accident scene. Good and bad things from hazards, first responders, stabilizing the patient, etc. 

I am also keen to do the course but the last time I checked it was always held during the week. Leave came at a premium in the past but not so much anymore. I think this needs to be done in 2023. Do you mind sharing the deets please? 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Some vintage bicycle license plates on display in my shop

6D21B26A-48A9-4D05-8ACE-EE5D122845CD.jpeg

That 1967 one - I remember my dad putting them all our bikes every January - We were so proud of our new licenses and used to go round showing all our mates 🤣

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

This is probably the right place for it:

A rider was hit by a driver this morning in Bakoven.

I went with the rider to hospital and he is stable and will have to have the leg sorted. 

The driver just pulled in front of the two riders, grazed the first and hit the second. There is not a tube on the bike that is not cracked. 

Luckily we have a few guys that are handy with blood and bandages so managed to stabalize before ambulance could arrive. 

The driver stopped, like he had a choice with 40 cyclists around. He was chatty and wanted to say sorry etc, told him its probably NOT the best idea when the dude is in pain on the ground.

Very kind neighbors brought out blankets and bandages and Bootlegger looked after our bikes while I went to the hospital.

Be safe out there, dont trust drivers.

for clarification; did the driver pull out (say from side-road) at 90-degrees to the cyclists travel direction, or did he pull in front of the cyclists, overtaking them, as it were?

thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

for clarification; did the driver pull out (say from side-road) at 90-degrees to the cyclists travel direction, or did he pull in front of the cyclists, overtaking them, as it were?

thanks

Chris

The driver pulled straight into the path of the 2 cyclists. There was another car stopped and waiting at the stop street and could not believe what he saw.

Idiot driver.JPG

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I am also keen to do the course but the last time I checked it was always held during the week. Leave came at a premium in the past but not so much anymore. I think this needs to be done in 2023. Do you mind sharing the deets please? 

Have done mine with The Institute of Emergency First Aiders (first time was in 2004). They have training centers in JHB, CPT and I think DBN too.

I’m on leave, as this is for my benefit not company sponsored training. I need it for the coach licence. 

FCB96644-5458-41FB-B102-7E59868CC76E.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

The driver pulled straight into the path of the 2 cyclists. There was another car stopped and waiting at the stop street and could not believe what he saw.

Idiot driver.JPG

Its like people are scanning the road for cars, bikes just dont register in their heads as something they need to wait for.

Like motorbikes cyclist are invisible. I always presume if they are not looking at me or behind me they are going to pull in front of me. Can't count the times I've avoided accidents turning into Mosselbank River Ave from Adderley. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Its like people are scanning the road for cars, bikes just dont register in their heads as something they need to wait for.

Exactly that!
Motorists are looking for other motorists. Bikes etc. don't show up on their radar as they just aren't looking for them.

Both my wife and I have been taken out by cars turning in front of us. We both had our front lights on flash mode. Both times, the drive said 'I just didn't see you!'.
Both times, my response was: ' You weren't looking for us before you turned, where you ?'

Edited by splat

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

thanks

Chris

Blue Arrow = Cyclists
Red Arrow = Silly motorist

image.png.a82b9a4713edee20cfc85fd6700c75aa.png

1 hour ago, splat said:

Exactly that!
Motorists are looking for other motorists. Bikes etc. don't show up on their radar as they just aren't looking for them.

Both my wife and I have been taken out by cars turning in front of us. We both had our front lights on flash mode. Both times, the drive said 'I just didn't see you!'.
Both times, my response was: ' You weren't looking for us before you turned, where you ?'

Yep, tunnel vision. Worst kind of drivers, all they see is where they want to go.

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

This.

December started in november already. Not one morning without getting nearly taken out by a car or witnessing someone being annoyed that they have to let us pass (like when they have to stop at the stop signs for us), so annoying... Guess it's MTB season until all the morons move on to the new year

The global relationship with cars and the infernal combustion engine is analogous to a smoker's relationship with cigarettes. He knows it's killing him. He knows he needs to stop but he keeps lighting up and belching his pollution into the air oblivious to the stink even as the manufacturers wrap it in ever more svelte and sleek packaging and designs.

The more I ride the less I like my car and the more ridiculous the whole concept cars seems to me. Use it only when I have to. 

Sorry to hear about this savages. Hope the motorist foots the medical bills

Edited by Mamil

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

December started in november already. Not one morning without getting nearly taken out by a car or witnessing someone being annoyed that they have to let us pass (like when they have to stop at the stop signs for us), so annoying... Guess it's MTB season until all the morons move on to the new year

This is NOT a bike vs car thing, well not only aggresion towards cyclists ...

All over cars are driven so aggresively now .... no respect to any other road users.

Out on our bikes we are just so much more exposed .... stay safe out there 👍

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

This...this right here...they see without seeing....look right at you...but don't see you....biggest cause of bike vs car collision, I reckon