Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

@Duane_Bosch Something I tend to do when ever someone rides my bumper is to just gradually slow down. Cyclists often get it and move over. Vehicle drivers on the other had = no patience, but I give them some room to come pass.

You're just not going slow enough with other vehicles :P 70% of the time it works everytime

Edited by Newbie321

12 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Quick question from a Vaalie, far removed from those roads:
(I know it is a what-if, but humour me on this one plz)

Isn't that road insanely narrow? Would a solo cyclist not resulted in the same issue?

Cyclist in road-> GETZ cannot pass safely without crossing the solid white line->GETZ decides "F&ck it, I've waited long enough, I'm going"->chaos ensues.

It was a safe scenario until the GETZ driver crossed the solid white line, no? 

PS. Sorry, it was unsafe already with Mr Pro-Cyclist tailgating the bakkie. 'n Dassie acrros the road could have cause the smash into the back of the bakkie

Thanks for this. I'm surprised that the opinion RE the cyclists is so one sided.

We weren't told how many riders in the group, only that the group rode three abreast.

Riding single file while eating the gutter can be very dangerous as cars will see that as an invite to overtake and overtaking a 20m long line of riders takes way longer than cars ever realise.

Riding single file and taking up an amount of road that is within your legal right removes the invite, but also frustrates cars equally to bunching up, and still has the 20m long line issue once the corner visibility issue is resolved.

Bunching up, while not perfect and not the way I would go about it, at least makes a quick safe pass  in the opposite lane possible later on and communicates "you shall not pass" on the dangerous sections...

Edit: If it was a slow vehicle no-one would be placing the blame on them.

Edited by bleedToWin

52 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Thanks for this. I'm surprised that the opinion RE the cyclists is so one sided.

We weren't told how many riders in the group, only that the group rode three abreast.

Riding single file while eating the gutter can be very dangerous as cars will see that as an invite to overtake and overtaking a 20m long line of riders takes way longer than cars ever realise.

Riding single file and taking up an amount of road that is within your legal right removes the invite, but also frustrates cars equally to bunching up, and still has the 20m long line issue once the corner visibility issue is resolved.

Bunching up, while not perfect and not the way I would go about it, at least makes a quick safe pass  in the opposite lane possible later on and communicates "you shall not pass" on the dangerous sections...

No one mentioned any GP drivers on that road :P

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

No one mentioned any GP drivers on that road :P

There were no fortuners mentioned in the discussion.... 😉

Just now, 117 said:

Obviously not ... a For'thjuna would not make it around the bendy roads

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

^^ This solid piece of logic makes a hellavalot of sense. On a busy / narrow road I would rather quickly overtake smaller bunches of riders at a time than having to extend my overtaking exposure on a long single file where there is no room to react for an oncoming vehicle. The key word to make this argument work is : patience from all parties.

The 3 abreast vs single file on that corner in a way acted like a slow vehicle and was suppose to take away the temptation from the Getz for a tight squeeze overtake. Anybody willing to overtake on a solid line blind corner speaks volumes of their integrity. I wasn't there to see whether they fell into single file when the road opened up nor can I understand the brilliance of Mr Bikermice from Mars for flirting with Duane's number plate and being rewarded with a kiss from the bumper.

In 2011 , 8th of July, around 19:00 pm we get the phone call no one ever wants to get. The in-laws where on the way home from a week in Durban for holiday. 60km from PE they come over a blind rising bend with two solid white lines. Big interlink coming from the front, with a bakkie towing a trailer overtaking them. Head on collision ensued which took mum's life.

The Getz was in the wrong. Everyone else in this story is secondary to that.

2 hours ago, 117 said:

You as a current and me as a X - FrotTuna driver, knows very well how much of a dwis they can be ... 😂🤪

16 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

@Duane_Bosch Something I tend to do when ever someone rides my bumper is to just gradually slow down. Cyclists often get it and move over. Vehicle drivers on the other had = no patience, but I give them some room to come pass.

You can also just let rip with the windscreen washers excessively. Often you look back and see the tailgating car behind having to turn on their windscreen wipers and then eventually backing off. I imagine it would be more effective on a lycra clad tonsil.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm .... ja ....

LOTS of wrongs in this story ....

As for the cyclists .... There ARE roadmarkings along this road .....

SH-36.jpg.7e68e7348f6a415b49819342175eac0d.jpg

es chris but have you seen Chappies on a sunday morning? 1000 cyclists single file is a very very long traffic jam

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm .... ja ....

LOTS of wrongs in this story ....

As for the cyclists .... There ARE roadmarkings along this road .....

SH-36.jpg.7e68e7348f6a415b49819342175eac0d.jpg

This is true

But next time you ride there, also send us a pic of the solid white line in the middle of the road. Perhaps the speed limit signs too...

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes chris but have you seen Chappies on a sunday morning? 1000 cyclists single file is a very very long traffic jam

It doesnt give people the right to break the rule then is it? Single file is single file. All road users have to adhere to the rules. And if it makes the trek longer for the cyclists to hit their turn around point, then so be it. The same goes for the car traffic that have to wait longer

Riding abreast leads to a knock on effect for grumpy FT's to overtake regardless of the line situation. I bet that Getz driver had had enough of it by then - all grumpy grumpy because the roadies owned that part of the road. 

Whilst I do agree and have stated as much that the getz driver is also at fault, one must never overlook the initial rule breakers in this story. 

Maybe Duane can give an exact pin location that it happened? 

Besides, come ride the 947 mtb race and experience a traffic jam

Sorry, I couldnt wait for friday

47 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

es chris but have you seen Chappies on a sunday morning? 1000 cyclists single file is a very very long traffic jam

Is true ....

Yes, I have driven the road many times over the years.  I have stopped driving there during the weekend, specifically due to the insane traffic - from tourists, to locals, to cyclists, even pedestrians .....

As a cyclist I dont like this road at all !  I have cycled there early afternoon on a week day.  Even with minimal cyclists, and hardly any traffic it was unpleasant.  Towards the tollbooth the wind started up.  NO WAY I could cycle on the side of the road, as each gust would sweep me to the left .... Thankfully there were no cars and I could ride in the middle of the lane.

Point being, as a cyclist I fully appreciate the challanges of this road.

BUT, ignoring the realities of frustrated drivers is not safe either.  Thankfully most drivers along this road play nicely.  But there will always be the "Gets driver" that does not stick to the road rules.

No, I dont have the answer to this, nor world peace ....

8 minutes ago, 117 said:

It doesnt give people the right to break the rule then is it? Single file is single file. All road users have to adhere to the rules. And if it makes the trek longer for the cyclists to hit their turn around point, then so be it. The same goes for the car traffic that have to wait longer

Riding abreast leads to a knock on effect for grumpy FT's to overtake regardless of the line situation. I bet that Getz driver had had enough of it by then - all grumpy grumpy because the roadies owned that part of the road. 

Whilst I do agree and have stated as much that the getz driver is also at fault, one must never overlook the initial rule breakers in this story. 

Maybe Duane can give an exact pin location that it happened? 

Besides, come ride the 947 mtb race and experience a traffic jam

Sorry, I couldnt wait for friday

So bek moet jam kry .... 😄