Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

20 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

I heard from a reliable source that the cyclist was hit head on by the motorcyclist while descending Chappies direction Noordhoek. Supposedly the motorcyclist was passing a car on a blind corner.

Note, I don't think the car in pic was involved, think it was just passing through afterwards.

IMG-20240218-WA0008.jpg

Is it just me or is there a guy in black leather outfit looking down?

If he is at fault, speeding and overtaking (which seems to be the case) then I hope a name and shame comes down hard. legal action too.

In the whole car vs bike debate, how do motorbikers seemingly get a free pass? 

There are PLENTY of them who have super high powered machines and treat sunday roads as their racetrack. They think they are valentino rossi and the rest of us must just shake our heads at their incredibly tiny penises as they put everyone at risk? Surely the responsible motorbikers are really pissed off by this behaviour too?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

If he is at fault, speeding and overtaking (which seems to be the case) then I hope a name and shame comes down hard. legal action too.

There are PLENTY of them who have super high powered machines and treat sunday roads as their racetrack. They think they are valentino rossi and the rest of us must just shake our heads at their incredibly tiny penises as they put everyone at risk? Surely the responsible motorbikers are really pissed off by this behaviour too?

Judging by what we witness from cyclists, motorists, and motorcyclists on this road at times, it is expected to happen. I hope everyone can recover fully and speedily and that justice is served where necessary.

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Yeah so apparently this is the motorcyclist, I know it’s technically not relevant but my mates said he looked like a kid, maybe around 19 yo. Was standing with his head in his hands. No excuses, but I (hopefully) imagine he has realised the immensely terrible impact it is going to have on both their lives. 

from what i could hear (did not see) a bunch of superbikes went racing over chappies on sat morning.  There is an escalating trend of groups of bikes and cars treating this road like a race track.  I often hear them bombing over and have been caught up in a few.  Ferrari groups, BMW groups, superbiker groups - it seems there is a thing lately to get together with the boets and drive like kamakazis.  Add to this the weekend warrior TDF wannabees riding abreast and you have a recipe for disaster

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Agree with you 100% about the motorcyclists. Was chatting to a contractor at work the other day about motorbikes after he saw me with a helmet. He was telling me about the frustration he has with cyclists when he’s out on a Sunday morning super bike run on country roads and comes around a corner at 100mph and nearly connects a group of cyclists who are “hogging the road”. 

On 12/29/2023 at 10:21 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

Precisely. Some folks are just either too stupid to understand what the rules are, or they do know and just choose to ignore it, or worse, alter the interpretation thereof.

as a resident of the estate in Melkbos, it is a bit of a clusterfck exiting the estate onto the beach road on a busy weekend morning. The only way to get accross is to inch into the cycle lane so that you can actually see the oncoming traffic. If you stop behind the STOP line you can't see much. And then when you inch accross the cyclists ride around the front of your car. There is no way of getting out there without everyone (cyclists Included) having a bit of patience

9 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

check out the comments section - not much love for cyclists:

https://x.com/adrianranson/statuhttps://x.com/adrianranson/status/1759209935777243458?s=20s/1759209935777243458?s=20

link here.

Jislaaikit, but not much love for cyclists at all, more like solid hate.

Thanks to the tjop cyclists who have enabled us to be hated so much (not saying it has anything to do with this incident).

Strongs to the cyclist for the road to full recovery ahead.

I can't tell anyone what the right thing is in their own scenario.

But for me, personally: I reached the point about 2 years ago where road cycling just wasn't worth the risk anymore. I have two kids and a Wife at home, I need think of them when I choose my hobbies.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

The problem is not the means of transport, the problem is the chop operating the vehicle ... be it skateboard, bicycle, motorbike, car or truck.

The whole them vs us argument from all parties need to stop, and it should be more a mindset of responsible human beings vs those who disregard the safety of others.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The problem is not the means of transport, the problem is the chop operating the vehicle ... be it skateboard, bicycle, motorbike, car or truck.

The whole them vs us argument from all parties need to stop, and it should be more a mindset of responsible human beings vs those who disregard the safety of others.

Motorcycling is not too dissimilar to cycling in this respect.

For every chop out there, there are so many more riding responsibly.

It is the extremes in both these groups that result in "public opinion".

There have always been motorcyclists that get their kicks out of "racing passes" .... and every so often one goes down.

Tragic that a cyclists was a victim in this case.

With any luck one or more car had dash cams and can assist with a case against this racer.

I do like the idea by @DieselnDust to get buy in from the City to have a time slot for "groups of cyclists" along this section for the month leading up to CTCT.  Maybe even once a month for the rest of the year.

A few speed cameras may well adress a few of the cars .... Many of the high end cars ride without number plates.  But the City CAN address the racing, if they wanted to put some resources towards this.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

I started reading, left a comment, tried to carry on reading and decided the juice wasnt worth the squeeze.

People are *holes

Less and less empathy on social media now. More and more aggression. There is a hierarchy of vulnerability for road users and it is good to remember that a “mistake” when driving a car or motorcycle that results in you hitting a more vulnerable road user is likely to have far worse consequences for them than a mistake when cycling or walking.