Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

On 3/3/2024 at 8:25 AM, 'Dale said:

Me.

I was warming up to meet my training group this morning and was inside the yellow shoulder on the way to Cape Town stadium. Then the TV channel switched and I was flung somewhere and, getting up, I couldn’t see the car. The rear view mirror and fender guard left behind on the scene was off a Renault Kwid, not many of them around.

I am privileged to have an excellent health care network around me and hope to fully recover - very eina right leg, fractured ribs and scrapes and bruises, fortunately my spine and brain intact.

I am a lucky man. Please send healing vibes, Peoples.💛

IMG_5955.jpeg

Flip Dale, some serious healing vibes your way man

EDIT: Looks like a good bit of blood on the tar too!

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

Yes, yo can see THIS picture, in the background; the silver vehicle was the SECOND vehicle the taxi struck...

24th Feb Coastal Road near Llundudno.jpg

I was cycling that day when the taxi flew past me and overtook on a blind bend. This guy did well to swerve out of the way and got sideswiped instead of a fatal head-on

About day 3 is when the harshness of the cold reality of the hit & run kicks in.🫤

I am discharged now and headed home where the little things become the big things - crutches, handfuls of pills, chicken soup and the hourly emotional roller coaster. I just brushed my teeth and now need to recover.
And I’m alive and sound of mind to type this to my online community. Every message of support here means tons - it brings in positive energy into my world. My son bought me Pika, as he calls it, to help me get better. 😌

The next big milestone is follow-up with the orthopaedic surgeon. And another achievement maybe shaving later this morning. 🎯

Be safe out there, Peoples. 💟

IMG_5990.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

Strongs with the recovery Dale.

I've hit a bit of an emotional wall on Sunday past, when things caught up with me and got a bit too much. So those days do happen, but they too will pass.

56 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

About day 3 is when the harshness of the cold reality of the hit & run kicks in.🫤

I am discharged now and headed home where the little things become the big things - crutches, handfuls of pills, chicken soup and the hourly emotional roller coaster. I just brushed my teeth and now need to recover.
And I’m alive and sound of mind to type this to my online community. Every message of support here means tons - it brings in positive energy into my world. My son bought me Pika, as he calls it, to help me get better. 😌

The next big milestone is follow-up with the orthopaedic surgeon. And another achievement maybe shaving later this morning. 🎯

IMG_5990.jpeg

Stay positive dude, recovery and physio and you will be back stronger in no time. And when you fell you dont need to do the strength exercises, dont stop, push on. I know that feeling now, everything is a mission and you get tired, soon it will dissipate.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

Stay strong bro. Think of this like the Cape Epic, take it one water point at a time and appreciate that you got there. You’ll be 100’s sooner than you think .

🍻

Edited by DieselnDust

Yeah Dale, I feel your pain boet, I went down in the bunch in Oct and broken my collarbone and stuffed up my knee. That after a year of dieting and dedicated training to get myself back into racing shape and finally hitting numbers in training I hadn't seen in the last 15 years and finally about to do a DC again.

It was bitter pill to swallow and I was seriously angry by the end of that first week. But time heals and you get stronger and you get back on the bike and start building again.

Like the old quote goes "it doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, only how many times you stand back up". Stand up brother (when you can) and celebrate all the small victories and thank the creator for still being alive 🤙

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes
spell

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

I got the message of your incident when I was at Toeka.

24-3-1-1.jpg.e46f04384f3a71d12a7b7a7686a06ee3.jpg

It was a LONG solo ride from there, with lots of thoughts ....

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

Just catching up on this. Wow. Sorry boet, I hope the recovery goes well.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

Dale, really glad that things are looking up for you.

BUT

You have let your standards drop, I thought you were always and advocate of long socks and non of the secret socks would ever do .... what are these man!

image.png.fbb26f17d9c00cf5970a5101d90568c8.png

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

reading these words from someone that is always positive and strong hits hard.

In your profession you probably know every trick in the book to try and stay positive, but just know that you can lean on the community here for support when you need it. We are like the marines, no man gets left behind.

38 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Hey Dale ... if that was a steel bike you could just brush it off and ride her again :P

This had me chuckling because in our fall, around 15 riders went down and about 6 or 7 carbon bikes got written off completely, from cracked frames, snapped handlebars, stems & forks to carbon wheels shattered 😲

My steel Colnago broke a rear spoke 😄 I just wish I was as tough as my bike 😄

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5990.jpeg

Massive strongs Dale, brings some personal memories back. Here's to a strong and healthy recovery, both physically and mentally. The emotional anguish is a thing, but you do have a squeaky Pika bru! ;)