Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

On 8/6/2024 at 10:53 AM, ChrisF said:

What a morning ....

Dropped off the car at the dealers for a service.  Nice detour back home on the bike to soak in the perfect morning.

150m from the dealer is a traffic circle .... jip, I have to do a stoppie due to a driver looking me in the eyes while just driving into the circle .... his eyes almost opened when he barely noticed the stoppie at his driver side window.

Hey, not to worry .... 20m later I passed him as he was stuck in morning traffic.

Nice interaction with a commuter along the next section.

Those who know will know .... coming down Jip de Jager from Tygervalley road towards Protea hotel ... jip I was enjoying that little mine shaft ... nice safe and wide cycling lane for cyclists.   Uhmmm .... not so safe when the individual holding onto the steering wheel puts the left wheels over the yellow line .... car did auto-steer to the correct side of the yellow line when I passed him ....

Almost home, waiting to turn right at a redtraffic light at Meerlust and Suikerbossie (yes, there is a miniature Suikerbossie on this side of the boerewors curtain).  Yes, bicycles can sometimes stop at a traffic light ....  light changes, but this can be a tricky and busy intersection .... I look back, wave the BMW driver in the silver Toyota past ... rather hang back and cross when safe.  Knowing this stretch I keep my speed in check and maintain a gap to the Toyota.  30m later the driver does the BMW thing ... turn left into the Engen, without using the optional signal indicators.

The real surprise of the morning ... no driver interactions at either of the entrances to the SPAR.

So why Italics ?  I choose to concentrate on the nice ride, and not to let these individuals get under my skin.

NONE of these vehicle operators where "out to get a cyclist".  This is the same percentage of "bad driving" I see on any given trip in my car.  Sadly way too many vehicle operators in SA has no business being behind a steering wheel !!  You can make peace with this reality, or not .... 

Sure .... in my car it will most probably just be an insurance issue if I fail to drive defensively.

On my bike the stakes are higher, much higher !!!  

I drive defensively .... I might as well cycle with a similar mindset.

Stay safe out there Hubbers.  Endure the traffic, ENJOY the rest of the ride 👍

NOTE - It sucks that this is the reality we face !!!!  By all means, support PPA and any other initiative to TRY address and improve the situation.  But until we get world peace and attentive competent drivers please do what you can to remain safe out there 🙏

A while back I had a similar incident on the Jip de Jager downhill, distracted lady on her cellphone drifting into the very wide yellow lane and almost taking me out. Managed to brake and avoid her as she almost hit the curb.

Another time I saw another lady on the cell phone hit the curb close to the Durbanville golf course where the road made a slight turn that she obviously missed as she was distracted, resulting in a nice flat tire and bent rim for her. But every time I cycle past that spot I can't help but wonder if there happened to be a cyclist between her and the pavement how ugly it could have turned out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Taxis on my commute this morning coming down Durban Road through Mowbray - on the wrong side of the road. Left side was at standstill because of traffic - these two doing 60kmph plus down the wrong side of the road the whole length of the road from just after the robots at the common to past the fountain .... that's about 400 or 500 meters.  Lead one had no headlights, flashers on in the dawn light. Cracked windscreen, mirror dangling ....

On Friday there will be a speedcop parked on Liesbeek parkway with his sandwiches and a camera waiting for my full roadworthy car to be doing 68 in an empty 3 lane road.

While I'm thinking about it- rode through the new intersection next to that monstrosity being erected at the old Riverclub - so encouraging for the cars to see that there is vokkol consideration being given to non-motorized transport. 

Seems people (in cars) think they know the rules of the road; but they don't.

A couple years ago, on a business trip to The Netherlands, we're standing at the pedestrian (zebra) crossing waiting to cross. A car stops, then hoots, because we weren't walking. While it's a rule in this country, I'd struggle to find car (in Gauteng) that actaully adhere's to this rule. So habit is that we (pedestrians) wait for cars instead of the other way round.

On honeymoon in Knysna (almost 20 years ago) I failed to yield to people at a pedestrian crossing; I realised my own bad habit a few seconds later, as it's been like that in Gauteng for as long as I've had my licence (if not longer).

Don't get me started on a traffic circle... makes my blood boil every time someone stops in the circle to let someone, who should be yielding, in.

While looking for the (law) wording on this, I found something else that is not adhered to, called hit-n-run.

image.png.c48f26e924815b3633b1c4735100751d.png

33 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Seems people (in cars) think they know the rules of the road; but they don't.

A couple years ago, on a business trip to The Netherlands, we're standing at the pedestrian (zebra) crossing waiting to cross. A car stops, then hoots, because we weren't walking. While it's a rule in this country, I'd struggle to find car (in Gauteng) that actaully adhere's to this rule. So habit is that we (pedestrians) wait for cars instead of the other way round.

On honeymoon in Knysna (almost 20 years ago) I failed to yield to people at a pedestrian crossing; I realised my own bad habit a few seconds later, as it's been like that in Gauteng for as long as I've had my licence (if not longer).

Don't get me started on a traffic circle... makes my blood boil every time someone stops in the circle to let someone, who should be yielding, in.

While looking for the (law) wording on this, I found something else that is not adhered to, called hit-n-run.

image.png.c48f26e924815b3633b1c4735100751d.png

The pedestrian crossing red light / flashing / green man is another example of the motor-centric design of public spaces. Walking to the local spar from my workspace is a case in point - a 3 or 4 minute wait while cars are given ample time followed by a 5 second window of green mannetjie. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

2 Taxis on my commute this morning coming down Durban Road through Mowbray - on the wrong side of the road. Left side was at standstill because of traffic - these two doing 60kmph plus down the wrong side of the road the whole length of the road from just after the robots at the common to past the fountain .... that's about 400 or 500 meters.  Lead one had no headlights, flashers on in the dawn light. Cracked windscreen, mirror dangling ....

On Friday there will be a speedcop parked on Liesbeek parkway with his sandwiches and a camera waiting for my full roadworthy car to be doing 68 in an empty 3 lane road.

While I'm thinking about it- rode through the new intersection next to that monstrosity being erected at the old Riverclub - so encouraging for the cars to see that there is vokkol consideration being given to non-motorized transport. 

I have no words anymore wrt taxi’s. They have no respect for any laws or anyone for that matter. They don’t wait at robots, jump stop streets, drive in the yellow lane, stop wherever they please, drive on the wrong side of the road. It is getting so out of control now to the point where lives are being put in danger. It’s no longer reckless. It is dangerous driving. When they tried putting a stop to it and impounded vehicles, we had everything disrupted with strikes. Seriously, what is gonna take for these guys to obey laws?

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

A while back I had a similar incident on the Jip de Jager downhill, distracted lady on her cellphone drifting into the very wide yellow lane and almost taking me out. Managed to brake and avoid her as she almost hit the curb.

Another time I saw another lady on the cell phone hit the curb close to the Durbanville golf course where the road made a slight turn that she obviously missed as she was distracted, resulting in a nice flat tire and bent rim for her. But every time I cycle past that spot I can't help but wonder if there happened to be a cyclist between her and the pavement how ugly it could have turned out.

I was doing around 60km/h when she started drifting over the line ... my handlebar next to the B-pillar.

By the time I was next to the mirror there was precious little space left .....

I was concentrating on the space, I did not even glance to see if she was busy with her phone.

Hindsight - I should have sat up as soon as her car started drifting .... lesson learnt.

On 8/5/2024 at 1:18 PM, Bike Dewing said:

It’s true.. on the 170watt bomb train which is a road in fourways, slight descend you can really pick up speed.. the look on the dudes face when he looked at me looked left and started pulling out and I was braking and skidding to stop was hysterical but also frightening for me.. and him I think cos he just drove away in shock I assume.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

A few months ago down the Toadbury hill from Lanseria Circle one of those "churchgoers" cars at the river cut and turned across me ...I clock 70kmhr down there and always wonder when it's going to happen again....

13 minutes ago, love2fly said:

A few months ago down the Toadbury hill from Lanseria Circle one of those "churchgoers" cars at the river cut and turned across me ...I clock 70kmhr down there and always wonder when it's going to happen again....

yeah that's no joke man.! I wasn't going quite that fast, but still mid to high 50's.. that's really fast to come off.. really think they just don't think we travel that fast..

Not really a car or bad driver story but on the weekend I had a rear tyre blowout on a descending hairpin bend. The bike skidded into the oncoming lane where there was a car driving up (this is a long dead end suburban road that usually has no cars - my luck). I was about 2m away from going through his windscreen. I managed to save it only for the bike to start skidding to the trees on the other side of the road. Slowed the bike down in some grass and somehow I came through this unscathed. 

Driver was concerned and slowed down so give him credit for that. 

I think the carbon rim brakes got too hot and might have blown the tube as I did a lot of descending that day and it was 12pm Durban "winter". 

I usually can weather a lot but I am not going lie I am a bit freaked out. I have not jumped on my bike since the weekend. 

18 hours ago, love2fly said:

Might be the same stretch of road, very similar thing, except I saw the taxi stopped by the shops at the bottom of the hill and was watching him like a hawk.

My mate went through and not long after the taxi started to move, angle of the front wheels told me all I needed to know about his intended maneuver and I hit the brakes. Had I not been aware and watching him it would have not been a pretty sight.

Motorist ARE NOT aware of us on the road.

The other morning, around 08h30, little bit of Cape winter sun shining (so not dark). I was already stationary at a Stop street, waiting for the cars who stopped before me to go. As I started pedaling to cross the road, a lady in her big Fortuner came from behind, and proceeded to turn in front of me, forcing me to dismount and jump on the pavement. Had I not done this, she would have sideswiped me. I was quick enough to hit the back quarter panel of the 'Tuner one good blow, before she sped off turning around the corner. Doubt she even realised what just transpired.  The driver of the car who stopped at the side of the Stop street road the 'Tuner driver turned into gave me a sheepish smile, shrugging his shoulders in disbelieve of what he just witnessed. 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

Motorist ARE NOT aware of us on the road.

The other morning, around 08h30, little bit of Cape winter sun shining (so not dark). I was already stationary at a Stop street, waiting for the cars who stopped before me to go. As I started pedaling to cross the road, a lady in her big Fortuner came from behind, and proceeded to turn in front of me, forcing me to dismount and jump on the pavement. Had I not done this, she would have sideswiped me. I was quick enough to hit the back quarter panel of the 'Tuner one good blow, before she sped off turning around the corner. Doubt she even realised what just transpired.  The driver of the car who stopped at the side of the Stop street road the 'Tuner driver turned into gave me a sheepish smile, shrugging his shoulders in disbelieve of what he just witnessed. 

They’re bloody oblivious, my approach is always to assume stupidity and ride like I’m invisible, taking nothing for granted .

On 8/7/2024 at 3:18 PM, Bub Marley said:

I have no words anymore wrt taxi’s. They have no respect for any laws or anyone for that matter. They don’t wait at robots, jump stop streets, drive in the yellow lane, stop wherever they please, drive on the wrong side of the road. It is getting so out of control now to the point where lives are being put in danger. It’s no longer reckless. It is dangerous driving. When they tried putting a stop to it and impounded vehicles, we had everything disrupted with strikes. Seriously, what is gonna take for these guys to obey laws?

The general public must start pushing back gradually. Way too many drivers fear confrontation or damage to their vehicles and allow taxidrivers to push in from yellow shoulders or exclusive right/left turn lanes. Do not allow them in.

These dingbats realize that 99% of road users fear confrontation and will not make life difficult for them.

On my morning commute there's a specific right only lane to enter my office complex. The left lane is both straight and/or left. Vehicles back up 50-100 meters in the lefthandside lane, hence the idiotes use the right only lane to overtake everybody, then push in at the front. I have 3 or 4 taxi's behind me on 3 out of 5 mornings trying their best to manhandle me out of their way.

My considerate self does a very effective "engine stall" on many mornings with the resultant outroar from behind. They then try to push into the leftlane with limited success.

I obviously arrive at the office with a song in my heart.

What a time to be alive 😁

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The general public must start pushing back gradually. Way too many drivers fear confrontation or damage to their vehicles and allow taxidrivers to push in from yellow shoulders or exclusive right/left turn lanes. Do not allow them in.

These dingbats realize that 99% of road users fear confrontation and will not make life difficult for them.

On my morning commute there's a specific right only lane to enter my office complex. The left lane is both straight and/or left. Vehicles back up 50-100 meters in the lefthandside lane, hence the idiotes use the right only lane to overtake everybody, then push in at the front. I have 3 or 4 taxi's behind me on 3 out of 5 mornings trying their best to manhandle me out of their way.

My considerate self does a very effective "engine stall" on many mornings with the resultant outroar from behind. They then try to push into the leftlane with limited success.

I do similar things in traffic. The other day at a set of robots it went green for us. We were crossing a main road and as usual there were the normal 2 or 3 cars still pushing there luck on a green right turn arrow that had gone red for them. 

I pulled off on green and the oke that had gone through the by now red turning right arrow had to slam on brakes as I refused to back off and let him in front of me.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I do similar things in traffic. The other day at a set of robots it went green for us. We were crossing a main road and as usual there were the normal 2 or 3 cars still pushing there luck on a green right turn arrow that had gone red for them. 

I pulled off on green and the oke that had gone through the by now red turning right arrow had to slam on brakes as I refused to back off and let him in front of me.