UCI rules

Chris_

So hear me out here.

If no-one does it henceforth, there is no need to do it by anyone. Right?

You do the super-tuck to gain an aero advantage, but the group you are chasing or is chasing you, is also employing the supertuck/invisible aero. So there is no advantage if both groups are doing it in equal measure, or even more specifically, there is no disadvantage if both groups don't do it in equal terms.

Looking back at the Armstrong days, you could only win by doping, because everybody doped.

The current supertuck is such that, you need to supertuck, because everyone is doing it.

Or am I mistaken?

PS. I think it is bollocks for the UCI to dictate this kind of thing on rider position, but the nett-effect could be Zero if everyone plays ball.

I think it takes away from the arsenal of the break away person/people.

The peloton will be able to shuffle the front guy a little quicker than before - so instead of aero'ing your way to 45km/h for 2 mins, you butcher your way to 45kph for 1 min and then slip way back. The ones up the road don't have that option to recycle and recover as much. (maybe)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the theory that it's banned because it might cause amateurs to crash is justified?

I can just imagine the carnage if some mid-pack muppet tries this at the Aurgust.

Ja I think thats a great reason. I hadn't thought of the follow through to amateurs. It seems obvious now.

The Aurgust is not a bunch of amateurs though. Lets get that straight.

Ja I think thats a great reason. I hadn't thought of the follow through to amateurs. It seems obvious now.

The Aurgust is not a bunch of amateurs though. Lets get that straight.

Of course the converse also carries some weight. We expect the world tour guys to be the best of the best, and that includes bike handling skills. So, this sort of thing should be allowed, and amateurs should be able to do it to, to hone their skills?

That's moot if the pro's are banned as well, but, say for example taking a bottle from a car, that's a skill you need to learn too?

Edited by TNT1

So hear me out here.

If no-one does it henceforth, there is no need to do it by anyone. Right?

You do the super-tuck to gain an aero advantage, but the group you are chasing or is chasing you, is also employing the supertuck/invisible aero. So there is no advantage if both groups are doing it in equal measure, or even more specifically, there is no disadvantage if both groups don't do it in equal terms.

Looking back at the Armstrong days, you could only win by doping, because everybody doped.

The current supertuck is such that, you need to supertuck, because everyone is doing it.

Or am I mistaken?

PS. I think it is bollocks for the UCI to dictate this kind of thing on rider position, but the nett-effect could be Zero if everyone plays ball.

Agreed.

I'm all for rules that affect everyone equally if it improves safety.

I am really pleased that they are improving barrier safety - that is long overdue.

Side question - what is with thew "whats next" culture? Are people incapable at looking at the merits of one decision without turning it into some UCI conspiracy theory?

Of course the converse is true. We expect the world tour guys to be the best of the best, and that includes bike handling skills. So, this sort of thing should be allowed, and amateurs should be able to do it to, to hone their skills?

The ban on disk brakes for example had nothing to do with amateurs. So sometimes they just make rules for the pro's' safety. (assumption) This may be another I don't know. But will it discourage Joe Soap supertucking through the suburbs? - maybe its killing two birds with one stone.

Edit: Maybe supertucking is like riding without a helmet used to be. Good chance nothing will happen to you but its just a k*k idea outright. I really don't know. Should it be a skill at all?

Edited by Chris_

My (now)6yr old does the supertuck at every opportunity going downhill.

He saw this on the TV, me going wild about sagz/froome/ whoever doing it in TdF or something.

In general, it's not a safe position and the gains don't outweigh the risks for joe public.

the resting forearms on the bars during tony martin style silly break escapades is probably a more significant change.

is banning them the right option, and how is it even enforced realistically? i dunno. will it stop Pieter sagan in the L batch doing it on blue route..probably not 

will we just get spinachi bars back?

+five chillies for the finish barrier standards. I feel for Groenewagen who is still banned for that crash he caused when the barrier is what did the actual eventual damage.

These bans are coming from the riders CPA.

So despite the mockery by a minority, the majority wanted these bans in place on grounds of safety and setting the right safety precedent

They also submitted many requests for barrier and motorbikes to be addressed. 

The banning of the aero tuck is not being mocked as much as the priority of the issues.

They also submitted many requests for barrier and motorbikes to be addressed. 

The banning of the aero tuck is not being mocked as much as the priority of the issues.

Agreed but it's low hanging fruit. New barriers will take time to specify and procure. Moto management can be stepped up quickly but the TV rights holders want their pictures and that pays the riders salaries ultimately. As always there will be a balancing of political economic and logistical needs to get to the desired outcome. At least a start is being made.

It's mind boggling how rabid some FB comments around super tuck ban. Amateurs really don't have a self preservation vein in their bodies or these okes are so juiced up on EPO they can't think straight anymore.

I've tried super tuck loads of times. I don't go any faster and the energy expenditure goes off the chart. It's inefficient.

The elbows on my Easton EC70 bars is a slippery slope on Cape Town roads. Just not safe. I've also had a near miss where my arm slipped off. Properly soiled bibs after that.

It just seems that cycling subculture projects an image of willfully stupid arrogant coffee shop floor wetters with an entitlement complex.

And the social media comments only reinforce this. A non cycling colleague asked what this fuss was about because these positions being banned don't look safe. Is there really any argument for the positions?

Not really sure why any non-pros really care. Do what makes you ride your bike, if sitting on the top tube gives you a fizz, go for it, if wearing extra long socks tickles you, go for it. If you like popping a manual down hill, go for it.

I just dont understand the whole vibe of people claiming a victory for kiddie and amateur safety. UCI outlawed doping years ago, but that still happens with youngsters.