Sling Aircraft making bikes. The Sling Cycles Tagati

b-rad

What other fork options are available for your frame?

I'm thinking more along the lines of bikepacking

Both forks are adventure forks, they have three pack accessory mounts, fender and racks mounts, internal dyno routing and drop-out chips for adjustable axle to crown and rake of the fork. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This frame looks great! I see your previous post shows a belt drive. Is the chainstay splittable?

On that note, thanks for nice long chainstays. I'm not a fan of my heel kicking my paniers. 

Heck thanks in general for a good looking local bike! 

Yes, chain stay is splitable. That frames will be available on special order only. We will also have on offer frames with couplings. They will also be available on special order.

Good afternoon. Bicycle from that picture is our no.1 prototype. At the time picture was taken I was testing setup with a fork manufactured for us in Canada that wasn't able to accommodate tire size that frame is design for. I was using 27.5 x 2.2 tires and prototype no.1 was design to take 27.5 x 2.6 or 29 x 2.2.

I have removed that fork and installed ENVE adventure fork instead, coz that fork is wide enough to accommodate tire sizes we wanted to test on the bike.

This is how it looks today.

attachicon.gif20210407_171231.jpg

Well done sir, it's awesome to see local is lekker putting smart people and skills to use.

Wish you all the best, and you know if you're looking for comments/opinons you're at the right place!

and you say this why?

You've got to ride them to appreciate how bad they can be. The corrugations are extreme in a lot of places. For mile after mile. Without front suspension I doubt you'll be able to feel your hands after 30 minutes or so. Even on a dual sus MTB it can get pretty uncomfortable fairly quickly. The roads are so poor in many places, the farmers struggle even with 4wds. There's just no maintenance at all in some areas - and hasn't been for many years. Anyway, the Tagati is still a nice bike and certainly a great  alternative to a gravel bike.

the fundamental question..... can you pack 2 Takagi's in a SLING 2 for a dirty weekend away....???

back in the days before you could recce Freedom Challenge on google earth, Tim James (3x winner, and recently retired SAA pilot) would go do some rides on the trail by flying to spots with his bike as passenger, and then doing roundtrips or finding lifts back.

always seemed that was the winning way to be an adventure cyclist

Quite simply: We have never heard of the Eastern Cape, we don't care about the Eastern Cape and we do not design our bicycles for the Eastern Cape!

I wonder what these brands would say to that 

Litespeed
Moots
Curve
Lynskey
Van Nicholas
J.Guillem
Sonder
Knolly
Reilly Cycleworks
J.Laverack
Kinesis
Enigma
Salsa

Quite simply: We have never heard of the Eastern Cape, we don't care about the Eastern Cape and we do not design our bicycles for the Eastern Cape!

OK. I don't have a gravel bike nor have I ridden in the EC, so have no experience on either topic.

Is this more appropriate ?

https://ninerbikes.com/products/mcr-9-rdo

niner-mcr-rdo-4-star-2020.jpg

You've got to ride them to appreciate how bad they can be. The corrugations are extreme in a lot of places. For mile after mile. Without front suspension I doubt you'll be able to feel your hands after 30 minutes or so. Even on a dual sus MTB it can get pretty uncomfortable fairly quickly. The roads are so poor in many places, the farmers struggle even with 4wds. There's just no maintenance at all in some areas - and hasn't been for many years. Anyway, the Tagati is still a nice bike and certainly a great  alternative to a gravel bike.

Ah, now your comment is clearer

As it turns out, the wife is the one pushing for it. She refuses to fly commercial with Covid... Her job requires her to understand more about it than the average Joe. And there are some places too far to always conveniently drive.

The last few years we have done a couple of projects for clients in the Northern Cape, based in Cape Town.

Sit in the boardroom till 9:30, warm up the motor, fly up, land on the farm before lunch and have ample time to get work done on that side.

Granted, often we would fly up for 2 to 3 days.  But have even left Stellenbosch airfield after 12:00, dropped off materials for the team.  Two of us stayed their for work over the weekend, while the plane returned to Cape.

The one farm is about three hours drive out of Upington ... does not leave a lot of time for working if you have to do a return trip.  More and more people uses small planes for these commutes.

It is a different way of thinking.  But it makes sense in its own way ...

I wonder what these brands would say to that 

Litespeed

Moots

Curve

Lynskey

Van Nicholas

J.Guillem

Sonder

Knolly

Reilly Cycleworks

J.Laverack

Kinesis

Enigma

Salsa

I am not debating the fact that lots of manufacturers make bike frames out of titanium. It's from what I can gather (having not ridden one) not very compliant material when it comes to bike frames. (Much like carbon)

Combined with as mudlark said terrible corrugations and roads, it is probably not the right tool for the job in EC.

Okes do freedom challenge on rigid forks and I am pretty sure that involves going from one end of Eastern Cape to another.