SUIKERBOS SBR current state

ZamaK

9 minutes ago, Furbz said:

can anyone confirm if its still possible to ride from the circus to the the South gate and back?

or is the South gate closed now?

According to the Strava segment from the Circus to the reserve and back, there have been no recorded efforts this year. I would take that as knowing the Kareekloof gate is closed.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

According to the Strava segment from the Circus to the reserve and back, there have been no recorded efforts this year. I would take that as knowing the Kareekloof gate is closed.

thanks - makes sense

When I was there 4 weeks ago, met up with a group that said they came in at the south gate, but maybe they sneaked in ... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

So the South Gate is not open but open.

I saw 2x cars parked there and spoke to the guard. It’s sounds like you could ride in that gate, pay at the north gate, then exit the South Gate. 
who wants to try?

21 hours ago, Furbz said:

So the South Gate is not open but open.

I saw 2x cars parked there and spoke to the guard. It’s sounds like you could ride in that gate, pay at the north gate, then exit the South Gate. 
who wants to try?

They leaving themselves wide open for exploitation then ... 🤦‍♂️.  Only honest people will actually go to the north gate and ask if they could pay, iow, its creating a way of free entry to who ever wants.

Not that they do much with the income they are getting.  Apparently all income go to the provincial government and only the bare minimum comes back to the reserve, very sad.

21 minutes ago, TheoG said:

They leaving themselves wide open for exploitation then ... 🤦‍♂️.  Only honest people will actually go to the north gate and ask if they could pay, iow, its creating a way of free entry to who ever wants.

Not that they do much with the income they are getting.  Apparently all income go to the provincial government and only the bare minimum comes back to the reserve, very sad.

There is still a guard there. Whether he actually checks though…

on a different note the Mugg and Bean at the total garage has seen some stuff

551942D3-9BE6-4F98-B104-44EBA1FA33C3.jpeg.2cd99b8d5b0ee222d8f4a58a0bf28baa.jpeg

anyone know of a better place to grab a post ride breakie?

• 5 months later...

Meals on Wheels is going through there in October, so it will hopefully be in a good enough state to host a race.

2 hours ago, ZamaK said:

Anyone been to SBR lately? wanted to find out if they are back to opening at 6am?

Still 07:00 for now. Couple of friends are going tomorrow.

Will probably move back to 06:00 somewhere during September.

3 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Was there on Saturday.
Still a killer ride.  Wind was pumping.

Open at 7am
Roads are okay.
Still no water or toilets.

That place has so much potential. Could fulfill a tier of conservation, research, sports training and tourism markets. 
Staff are keen, well trained and there’s a good baseline for the infrastructure. 
Fukal leadership though. 

38 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

That place has so much potential. Could fulfill a tier of conservation, research, sports training and tourism markets. 
Staff are keen, well trained and there’s a good baseline for the infrastructure. 
Fukal leadership though. 

Imagine CSA gets hold of this thing and creates a sports centre for cycling......training camps.....etc.
Like you say......baseline is there.  
Could be an amazing place to go for a weekend and just cycle and sleep over and listen to presenters etc.  

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know whether the gate at SBR is opening at 06:00 by now? I tried to phone but the number does not work.