• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I see a saffa dropped valverde on the final climb to win in 1912 

According to Wikipedia:

Rudolph Ludewyk "Okey" Lewis (12 July 1887 – 29 October 1933) was a South African road racing cyclist who won the gold medal in the road race at the 1912 Summer Olympics.[1]

Lewis was born on a farm near Pretoria and grew up in Germiston. He worked full-time underground at a gold mine, and in spare time trained in cycling, boxing and skating. After the 1912 Olympics he raced professionally in Germany in 1913–14, and won the classic race Rund um Dresden in 1914.[2] During World War I, he served in the German Army and was awarded the Iron Cross. His health deteriorated as a result of war injuries and time spent in a prison camp, which resulted in his early death at age 46.[3]

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Adam Yates? Surely you jest....

Who's your pick? ????

I wouldn't say A.Yates is my favorite rider, but if there isn't a big break up the road, you'd have to say Britain have on of the better climbing teams who have good chance of working well together with 3 of them being from Ineos, and the other being the brother of the possible leader. Adam didn't do the tour, is more consistent than Simon, and isn't terrible in the descents (although he did crash that one year at the tour when Alaphalippe was chasing him). In my mind, he must be one of the favourites. 

image.png.17f1a74e6e5950da64daee3d2dd76393.pngI don't gamble, but I like having a look at the odds sometimes. Seems Pog is the favorite as it stands. Fuglsang doesn't deserve to be on the board after his tour. Gaudu is another good option I think. 

13 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

image.png.17f1a74e6e5950da64daee3d2dd76393.pngI don't gamble, but I like having a look at the odds sometimes. Seems Pog is the favorite as it stands. Fuglsang doesn't deserve to be on the board after his tour. Gaudu is another good option I think. 

I tried gambling on cycling last year(small time to make it fun, like R500 over the season). on analysis it's functionally stacked big time in favour of the house, as cycling is actually really unpredictable. Safest bet there is probably rest of field!

personally, there's no way any of the TdF finishers should be able to fly to japan, covid olympic everything and perform, they have to be on such a backstep.but hey we wait and see.

really surprised not to see bernal there. with the heat,humidity and him not doing TdF this looks like the course for him. but maybe the giro/vuelta double was paramount.

but more surprised to see this guy in the dutch squad

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/yoeri-havik

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

really surprised not to see bernal there. with the heat,humidity and him not doing TdF this looks like the course for him. but maybe the giro/vuelta double was paramount.

As of yesterday, 57 confirmed covid positives in the Olympic athletes village alone. I'd also stay the hell away from that place. Especially if I have sporting goals later in the season. Two weeks of isolation will play havoc with your training and preparations - doubly so if you actually get the virus.

Hey, Matt, I said covid, but 100% cycling related, yeah?

Edited by TNT1

3 hours ago, Nick said:

I don't really know how it works but apparently something to do with also having him available for the team sprint on the track. They seem to reckon that they have a better chance of a medal there than on the road. ????‍♂️

seems like an obvious loophole to close. surprised NED don't seem to rate their chances in the road race clearly. will TomD even do the race or is he just there for ITT

image.png.f614ebcaddd3eaaeb3e0420502494fb2.png

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

seems like an obvious loophole to close. surprised NED don't seem to rate their chances in the road race clearly. will TomD even do the race or is he just there for ITT

image.png.f614ebcaddd3eaaeb3e0420502494fb2.png

Ah, so it's a common(ish) thing then.

Perhaps leaving the road Gold up to their star-studded women's team ????

mtb is MONDAY 26 for men TUES 27  for women.

no short track might be a change for the XCO world cup routine,

can't seem to find anything on the grid starting slots, is Alan maybe even front row?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I've merged @Jewbacca's duplicate thread into this one.

Any merit in splitting this out into dedicated Road, MTB, and Track discussions?

nah. i reckon events will happen at different times anyways.

looking at the start grid, I assume they will use the current rankings

https://www.uci.org/mountain-bike/rankings

Alan is 15th,  but with three frenchies not going and Andreasson not there, he should be 11th.

weirdly enough van der poel is currently ranked 65th on this.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tokyo-olympics-mtb-events-start-list/

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

nah. i reckon events will happen at different times anyways.

looking at the start grid, I assume they will use the current rankings

https://www.uci.org/mountain-bike/rankings

Alan is 15th,  but with three frenchies not going and Andreasson not there, he should be 11th.

weirdly enough van der poel is currently ranked 65th on this.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tokyo-olympics-mtb-events-start-list/

IIRC it was in Rio that Sagan started dead-last and was 3rd by the time they started the proper XC loop?

MvdP will be moving up some places at the start methinks...