Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

32 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

They use their own helmets also mostly 

YEah except when you ride for Sweden and you're the only female representative for your country. Then you get caught up in the most awful politics this sport can throw at you

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

he also won the coetzenburg XCO that next week.

he packed it in, then tried road biking. not going to plan, yet.

image.png.7fd4320c199f0bf10e253486c66112d2.png

I'm shocked. You mean 1st at the World Fun Ride champs aka "The Argust" does not constitute a "top result"?? Absolute bollocks...

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

YEah except when you ride for Sweden and you're the only female representative for your country. Then you get caught up in the most awful politics this sport can throw at you

Could be worse, You could be 1 of the 6 Polish swimmers who got to Tokyo only to be told you're not actually partaking in the games and your name is not on the competitors list because your Federation botched the admin, So sorry but you will be on the next flight back home to Poland. (atleast  they got to keep the kit)

Here is the article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/20/sport/polish-swimmers-sent-back-home-tokyo-2020-spt-intl/index.html

There is a short video where a few are interviewed in this article aswell.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/swimming-six-polish-swimmers-sent-home-japan-after-admin-blunder-2021-07-20/

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I recall Sam Gaze, not sure when and where (pre-Covid time) suffering with what appeared to be severe concussion after a crash. Having listened to pro roadie, Lizzy Banks, in an interview discussing her rehabilitation after severe concussion, it seemed to have derailed his stellar career. 

22 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I recall Sam Gaze, not sure when and where (pre-Covid time) suffering with what appeared to be severe concussion after a crash. Having listened to pro roadie, Lizzy Banks, in an interview discussing her rehabilitation after severe concussion, it seemed to have derailed his stellar career. 

Cape Epic 2019

This has to be one of the most open XCO races ever. 5 or 6 riders are in contention. I am going to be glues to the screen for sure! 

Come on Mr. Hatherly!

Him or Tom or Matthieu or Nino or....

I Just read an article on netwerk24 in which they listed the SA athletes who they reckon have best chances for a medal. The names mentioned are: Tatjana Schoenmaker, Akani Simbine, Blitzbokke, Chad, Wayde, and Men's rowing.

Not a word about Alan or Ashleigh.

1 minute ago, dsw said:

I Just read an article on netwerk24 in which they listed the SA athletes who they reckon have best chances for a medal. The names mentioned are: Tatjana Schoenmaker, Akani Simbine, Blitzbokke, Chad, Wayde, and Men's rowing.

The women's RR doesn't suit Moolman-Pasio. If they went the same route as the men's, maybe, but as it is it is probably going to be a Sprinter's race. Hence my pick of Coryn Rivera, both in hotness and sprinting ability...

18 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

The women's RR doesn't suit Moolman-Pasio. If they went the same route as the men's, maybe, but as it is it is probably going to be a Sprinter's race. Hence my pick of Coryn Rivera, both in hotness and sprinting ability...

On the subject of American female cyclist I see Chloe Dygert is entered for road and track. Taking into consideration the extend of her injuries any success in Tokyo will be remarkable. If she is fully recovered it will probably be nearly impossible for anyone to beat her in the road ITT.

10 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Anybody know what happened to Jaroslav Kulhavy, is he still racing?

semi retirement

Races a few  XCO's and Marathons but has ramped down his racing after a knee injury flareup

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

semi retirement

Races a few  XCO's and Marathons but has ramped down his racing after a knee injury flareup

Thanks.  That's a pity, I was a bit of a fan.

Kulhavy is also 36ish, which makes him old for a pro.

Sam Gaze is part of an interesting study involving severe head injury (concussion) and the pressure of performing physically and mentally without sufficient recovery as well as the long term effects of that.

So they reckon that a lot of moto neuron diseases which set in later in life are linked to concussion and long term pressure without sufficient recovery. The stages in between often involve severe depression followed by what looks like PTSD, followed by mild psychosis before the brain short circuits and stops repairing muscles or function.

Think Joost vd Westhuizen, Krynouw Otto and one or two documented footballers who were repeatedly concussed heading wet leather balls.

With head injury studies being ramped up severely, quite a lot of interesting medium to long term add ons are being recognised. 

Edited by Jewbacca

46 minutes ago, dsw said:

On the subject of American female cyclist I see Chloe Dygert is entered for road and track. Taking into consideration the extend of her injuries any success in Tokyo will be remarkable. If she is fully recovered it will probably be nearly impossible for anyone to beat her in the road ITT.

She seems to be in good shape after having won the national TT

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/usa-cycling-pro-road-championships-2021/individual-time-trial-women/results/

1 hour ago, dsw said:

Alan, is easily our best cycling prospect at the games, but what are his realistic chances of a medal? Since joining elites in 2019, his best places are a 5th and 4th(the last round, but no mvdp or pidcock) from about 15 events at WC or world champs level.

Sure he could come in the top3, it would be a surprise to many though.

AMP, very hard to tell how the dutchies will run the race.